No longer cruise virgins! Gotta change my name

CruisinNewbie2010

After many months of studying the CC boards for any and all information that would make our first cruise memorable, I would like to return the favour with a few observations from our trip on the Caribbean Princess (Feb.6-13th):

1. Travelling one day before and leaving one day later was an excellent idea – hardly any crowds at the airport, price was a little cheaper & we got to explore San Juan spread over 2 days!

2. Embarkation was a breeze – very friendly staff – we boarded around noon and our bags were in our cabins before 2pm.

3. Found that the counter space in the bathroom was plenty big enough for our things – shoe holder for various electronic rechargers was unnecessary. I kept any plugs or adapters in ziplock bags in our luggage out of the way.

4. Clothes pins on the bottom of the shower curtain was an excellent trick! There was even a small retractable clothes line at the top of the shower.

5. As newbies, we were unsure if seasickness would be a problem. We chose cabin 601 on the Caribe deck after getting excellent advice from CC members that we were less liable to feel any motion midship. They were right! Thank you.

6. The larger balcony on the Caribe deck (half covered, half open) was well worth the little extra it cost. We had breakfast out there every morning, and loved every minute of it.

7. On the room service breakfast form, you can add any other food you would like, besides the continental items offered - got this tip from the Food/Beverage Supervisor who served us our UBD – one day we asked for 2 orders of bacon, the next day 2 orders of sausages – delivered no problem along with everything else. Delivery was always on time.

8. Everyone should try the Ultimate Balcony Dining experience at least once. Food was terrific (all 5 courses), cocktails, champagne, all served by 2 of the most friendliest waiters, and a photographer! Well worth the $$. We will definitely do this again on our next cruise.

9. If you’re going on any excursions, take a few extra dollars with you. We did the Dolphin Swim in Tortola, travelling there in an air conditioned bus as per the tour description. When it came time to leave, the bus driver wanted $4 per person for the return trip. Fortunately there was also an open-air bus there that was free. I know the charge was minimal, but we kind of expected round-trip transportation in the a/c bus, especially as this was one of the most expensive ship-recommended tours of the whole cruise - $159pp

10. We were part of a group of 10, and selected Traditional dining at 8.15pm. Next time we’d choose Anytime dining so we could try some of the other restaurants at an earlier time. Also, by the time we were finished dinner, it was past 10pm. After a day in the sun & eating late, we were too tired to see much of the entertainment, preferring a walk around the Promenade Deck then out onto our balcony to sit under the stars.

11. One hour by the pool with 30 SPF suntan screen is long enough to get a good sunburn on white Canadian legs! Be careful, you don’t even realize you’re getting a burn until it’s too late. While waiting to enter the dining room, I looked around & discovered I was not the only glowing sunburned cruiser!

12. Finally, I love my coffee and I was pleasantly surprised by the dining room and room service coffee. I found it to be even better than the premium blend that was sold at the International Cafe. BTW, that was our favourite spot to head to after an excursion – good for a quick sugar fix with their baked goodies or a small sandwich to tie us over until dinner.

Wow, I didn’t think I had learned that much! Thank you once again CC members. Your advice and opinions were very much appreciated & went a long way to make our cruise so enjoyable.:)

9. If you’re going on any excursions, take a few extra dollars with you. We did the Dolphin Swim in Tortola, travelling there in an air conditioned bus as per the tour description. When it came time to leave, the bus driver wanted $4 per person for the return trip. Fortunately there was also an open-air bus there that was free. I know the charge was minimal, but we kind of expected round-trip transportation in the a/c bus, especially as this was one of the most expensive ship-recommended tours of the whole cruise - $159pp

Glad you enjoyed the cruise.

A question on the $4 additional for the tour.

Was this a tour that Princess sold? If so, there should not have been any additional cost unless you wanted to give a tip, and I suggest letting Princess know of this unusual request by the bus driver.

If this was a tour not sold by Princess, I am surprised that Princess recommended it as they usually do not recommend any tours they are not selling.

Glad you enjoyed the cruise.

A question on the $4 additional for the tour.

Was this a tour that Princess sold? If so, there should not have been any additional cost unless you wanted to give a tip, and I suggest letting Princess know of this unusual request by the bus driver.

If this was a tour not sold by Princess, I am surprised that Princess recommended it as they usually do not recommend any tours they are not selling.

This was a tour sold by Princess; we booked it pre-cruise on the Princess website. I have advised Princess of this unusual event thru the survey that was e-mailed once we returned home - the lineups at the Excursion Desk were overwhelming at times. It will be interesting to see if anything comes of it.

Glad to hear you had a good time. Now it's time to start the process to book your second cruise. Did you buy future cruise credits while on board?

Ha, I have been looking already! And no, we didn't buy future cruise credits and are now kicking ourselves for missing it! I guess there's still more for me to learn.

I would have raised holy heck with the excursions desk over the $4.00. I wouldn't have done it only through the survey.

That being said, are you sure the excursion included round trip transportation? There are some excursions that are marked as one way, not round trip. Personally, I think it was the bus driver trying to get some cash.

I would have raised holy heck with the excursions desk over the $4.00. I wouldn't have done it only through the survey.

That being said, are you sure the excursion included round trip transportation? There are some excursions that are marked as one way, not round trip. Personally, I think it was the bus driver trying to get some cash.

That was our impression too, about the bus driver trying to make a few extra dollars. I just checked the Shore Excursion description for this tour, it now says "After a short transfer, arrive at the lagoon..." . Unfortuately, I no longer have the printout of our shore trips, but we wouldn't have done anything other than round trip excursions - we're not that experienced yet!

We experienced our 1st UBD in Honolulu...was yours at sea? If so, did the weather affect your experience?

Glad you had a great cruise!

Oh, I would imagine doing that in Honolulu would be terrific! Talk about a view!!

Ours was at 6.30, shortly after leaving Antigua. There was a bit of a breeze but nothing that was unmanageable. The waiters tied the tablecloths down but other than that, it was great. We wanted a relaxing time so we decided not to get all dressed up, just casual comfy clothes that made room for all that food!

So glad you enjoyed your first cruise. What were your thoughts on the Caribbean Princess?

To be honest, I think we were both a little awe-struck once we stepped onboard. People can tell you their experiences & you can look at pictures, but nothing compares to actually standing there, turning slowly and taking it all in. If I'd had a hat I would have tossed it in the air a la Mary Tyler Moore! (maybe you're too young to remember that show). I would never have known the ship was 7 years old. Everything was polished, the carpets showed no wear & tear, the beds were very comfortable, even the room air conditioning (that previous cruisers had complained about) was great. I loved the piazza, it was very classy-looking with the twin staircases and marble flooring, complete with a baby grand piano. I found the floor layouts easy to remember and get around - I think we only got lost once! We found the Horizon Court & Caribe Cafe had a remarkable selection of food and never had a problem finding a seat. MUTS was great, absolutely loved our large balcony! I think my only complaint would be about the communication system. We had to step out into the hall to hear any announcements as we heard nothing in the cabin or on the balcony. All in all, I loved the Caribbean Princess and hope we can sail on her again very soon!!

I think my only complaint would be about the communication system. We had to step out into the hall to hear any announcements as we heard nothing in the cabin or on the balcony.

Thanks for sharing your impressions & your answer about your UBD experience. I enjoyed your enthusiasm about your cruise & I feel the same way on each of our many cruises. Each one has been great...just some may be a little bit better but all have been fun.

As far as the announcements not being heard in cabins (except for important ones) that's something I prefer. There aren't too many announcements on Princess which is nice because some cruise lines have too many about upcoming events. It's nice to read the Patter & not havng to listen to so many announcements. :)

To be honest, I think we were both a little awe-struck once we stepped onboard.

I know exactly what you mean. DW and I did our first (and only, so far) cruise last year. I was fine and dandy and knew what was going on until we actually stepped foot onboard. Suddenly all of my map studying seemed to go flying out of my head and I was lost. Fortunately, there were very friendly staff stationed approximately every 3 feet to get us pointed in the right direction (even if they were reluctant to tell us which dining room was open for lunch).

Archived