Please give advice

Lvtocruize2

We are leaving for a cruise tour May 8 and will arrive (2 days) early in Venice. Never having exchanged foreign $ before, what is your advice and how much to take on a European cruise that takes mainly euros?

Thanks,

Patty

We are leaving for a cruise tour May 8 and will arrive (2 days) early in Venice. Never having exchanged foreign $ before, what is your advice and how much to take on a European cruise that takes mainly euros? Thanks, Patty

Hi, Patty! Since this is your first trip to Europe, the "secrets" are probable that you will want to use your ATM card to draw out some euros in Venice for where "cash" is needed, plus use your credit cards in ports for certain lunches, purchases, etc. What's the right amount? That's hard to know as each traveler has different patterns and uses. You can get euros ahead of your trip at your local, hometown bank, but the conversion rates and charges you will pay tend to be high. Different debit and credit cards have a variety of rates. Check with your bank or banks on their different options to see what works best. What are the ports you will visit?

Venice is super wonderful. Check out this posting that I did with many, many pictures on Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226&highlight=venice

Also, here's a good resource, Venice Tourism Office:

http://www.turismovenezia.it/venezia/eng/default.asp?lingua=en

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 33,900 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

The ATM is the best place to get your euros. However, you may want to increase your withdrawal rate before you leave. We have a $200/day withdrawal limit and I always go to the bank and let them know when we'll be away and that during that time I want to up my limit to $500/day.

In the same vein, I always call my credit card companies and tell them where we'll be and when, just so I don't have my card refused (this is for trips out of the country).

When you call your credit card company to tell them that you are traveling outside the country, make sure you tell them you are on a cruise ship and let them know what city the cruise ship's business office is in. The ATM's on the ship will show up as that city, and if the bank knows you are in Europe and an ATM charge comes through from say Miami, they might put a hold on your card. This happened to me. Luckily, they did not put a hold on DH's card since he travels overseas often. I agree that you should increase the daily withdrawal limit.

We got a few hundred dollars in euros at our local bank before we left. This way we had some right away after deplaning in Barcelona and did not have to exchange more money until later.

We always take some euros with us so we are not in panic mode and then as we need them, we use the ATM's. Very important as the other posters have mentioned that you advise your credit card companies and your bank in regard to your debit card. Sometimes the ships have euros, but their rates are usually high and there is no guarantee.

have a great cruise - Venice is absolutely wonderful. You will have a blast :)

The ATM is the best place to get your euros. However, you may want to increase your withdrawal rate before you leave. We have a $200/day withdrawal limit and I always go to the bank and let them know when we'll be away and that during that time I want to up my limit to $500/day.

Note that some ATMs in Europe will only allow you to withdraw 250 € per day, no matter what your limit is at home. Just be prepared for this.

Note that some ATMs in Europe will only allow you to withdraw 250 € per day, no matter what your limit is at home. Just be prepared for this.

That's exactly why it makes sense to up the withdrawal limit to $500/day before you leave home.

It is also wise to check with the credit card companies to see which ones have extra fees that they add in addition to other fees that the European companies have to pay for the use of the card company. Ours did not charge any additional fees for converting prices in euros into US dollars when we used them for purchases in the foreign countries. Our friends, on the other hand, were charged $7.00 for each transaction...no matter how much it was. We also change some money into euros before we leave. Our bank charges a flat fee no matter how much we convert, so the more you convert,the less it is per unit.....

We are leaving for a cruise tour May 8 and will arrive (2 days) early in Venice. Never having exchanged foreign $ before, what is your advice and how much to take on a European cruise that takes mainly euros?

Thanks,

Patty

ATM's are the only way to go. And it is not necessary to pay the higher cost to purchase them in the US. ATM's are in all the airports. Use a credit card where you can. There are companies that do not charge exchange fees.

As noted, be certain to notify your ATM bank of your trip. I would also suggest who you are traveling with, have a different ATM, so if one doesn't work, you still have one.

How much money do you need?

Paying for expensive private tours in cash, or just pocket change for meals, snacks etc.

For small sums say 200-400 dollars ATM works best. Every airport has trustworthy ATMs. Be mindful of exchange fees and you will always get a better rate. Avoid changing on the ship at all costs, they totally screw you as do those exchange booths in the airport.

Need say a couple thousand euros, do it at your local bank before you leave.

Enjoy Venice!

Thanks,

Patty

Definitely plan to use an ATM card (preferably take two--one for you and one for your husband in case of any problem). The ATM machine in the Venice airport is at the far right end of the lobby when you come out of arrivals (unless it has been changed in the past year or so). Never had a problem anywhere in Europe with finding or using their ATM's (which are called Bancomats and sometimes other names). We do exclusively use either an airport or bank ATM though, none of the ones in grocery stores. We have even had our taxi stop at a random bank we passed on the way to a hotel.

Very important, as others have stressed, to call your ATM bank ahead of time to inform them of your travel destinations. For security, in case your card was to be stolen, we limit the amount of money in the account the card will draw on to a reasonable amount we think we are going to need. Lastly, I somewhat disagree with using your credit card everywhere else....our credit card number was stolen, we think, at a pizza restaurant purchase in Naples (it was fantastic pizza) , and we now will always pay cash in Naples!

One good site that shows actual pictures and gives directions for a lot of things you may encounter in Europe is a site called Slow Travel. They have been immensely helpful to me in the past.

Just have a great time!

Definitely plan to use an ATM card (preferably take two--one for you and one for your husband in case of any problem). The ATM machine in the Venice airport is at the far right end of the lobby when you come out of arrivals (unless it has been changed in the past year or so). Never had a problem anywhere in Europe with finding or using their ATM's (which are called Bancomats and sometimes other names). We do exclusively use either an airport or bank ATM though, none of the ones in grocery stores. We have even had our taxi stop at a random bank we passed on the way to a hotel.

Very important, as others have stressed, to call your ATM bank ahead of time to inform them of your travel destinations. For security, in case your card was to be stolen, we limit the amount of money in the account the card will draw on to a reasonable amount we think we are going to need. Lastly, I somewhat disagree with using your credit card everywhere else....our credit card number was stolen, we think, at a pizza restaurant purchase in Naples (it was fantastic pizza) , and we now will always pay cash in Naples!

One good site that shows actual pictures and gives directions for a lot of things you may encounter in Europe is a site called Slow Travel. They have been immensely helpful to me in the past.

Just have a great time!

I agree with the credit card usage. We don't use ours 'everywhere'. We will use it for a very major purchase, our hotel and things like that. But for standard restaurants we pay in cash.

There is counterfeiting and theft - so you do want to be careful where you use your credit card (that goes for travelling anywhere).

Archived