Earliest for Denail

CaribQween

Could anyone tell me what is the earliest that we should plan to visit Denali in order for us to have full access without the road being closed due to snow? I realize that there is no way to pinpoint the weather, but I'm just looking for an idea.

Also, when would be the earliest we should cruise if wildlife is a priority for us (for possibly seeing wildlife prior to Denali)?

Could anyone tell me what is the earliest that we should plan to visit Denali in order for us to have full access without the road being closed due to snow? I realize that there is no way to pinpoint the weather, but I'm just looking for an idea.

Also, when would be the earliest we should cruise if wildlife is a priority for us (for possibly seeing wildlife prior to Denali)?

The bus information is on the Denali web site. The buses start running May 20. June 1 is the first shuttle bus trip to Eielson. June 8 to Wonder Lake. If you dig you can find a link that shows their progress as the clear the road. What kind of wildlife is your priority?

http://www.reservedenali.com/

http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/hours.htm

The bus information is on the Denali web site. The buses start running May 20. June 1 is the first shuttle bus trip to Eielson. June 8 to Wonder Lake. If you dig you can find a link that shows their progress as the clear the road. What kind of wildlife is your priority?

http://www.reservedenali.com/

http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/hours.htm

Thank you for the links. I tried several times on my lunch hour today to get into the links on the website and had no luck.

As far as wildlife, I've been able to find information on sealife but not much on bears and other land mammals.

You will have much more luck seeing "land" animals in Denali - at any month during the season. In SE Alaska (where the ship's cruise), bears are easier to see once the salmon start running - usually July forward. More people report seeing moose in the city limits of Anchorage than in the cruise ports!

Denali opening and closing dates vary year by year on the local conditions at the time. The first bus schedules can be delayed but not made earlier as there are no drivers at hand.

I wouldn't bet my hard earned money on the earliest dates for Denali nor on the end of season dates. I've seen the conditions change too much to do that.

I was camping in Denali at Wonder Lake one year and was booted out in the middle of the night by the rangers cleaning out the camp grounds due to storms predicted. I think it was about the 2nd weekend in Sept.

We visited in mid may a few years ago (chose this time period to overlap with spring bird migration). The park road was open as far as the Teklanika river, mile 29. The shuttle busses were not running, but there was an abbreviated version of the TWT available. We loved being able to drive our rental car into park as far as the road was open, stopping wherever and whenever we wanted for birds and wildlife (normally birds are not a priority for park tours, so we enjoyed having unlimited time for this). We did see quite a bit of other wildlife as well, including moose, caribou, bears, sheep, and had ample time for extended viewing time and photography. Have also been deep into the park on other trips, and yes, saw more wildlife and scenery with more time and distance into the park, and yes, we were lucky to have an early spring that year (we were there May 16th and 17th 2004) but it was a fun and unique experience.

We visited in mid may a few years ago (chose this time period to overlap with spring bird migration). The park road was open as far as the Teklanika river, mile 29. The shuttle busses were not running, but there was an abbreviated version of the TWT available. We loved being able to drive our rental car into park as far as the road was open, stopping wherever and whenever we wanted for birds and wildlife (normally birds are not a priority for park tours, so we enjoyed having unlimited time for this). We did see quite a bit of other wildlife as well, including moose, caribou, bears, sheep, and had ample time for extended viewing time and photography. Have also been deep into the park on other trips, and yes, saw more wildlife and scenery with more time and distance into the park, and yes, we were lucky to have an early spring that year (we were there May 16th and 17th 2004) but it was a fun and unique experience.

Wow, that sounds absolutely marvelous. We're considering mid June so hopefully we'll be able to get in a good ways in order to see some of the same. It will be so exciting.

Denali opening and closing dates vary year by year on the local conditions at the time. The first bus schedules can be delayed but not made earlier as there are no drivers at hand.

I wouldn't bet my hard earned money on the earliest dates for Denali nor on the end of season dates. I've seen the conditions change too much to do that.

The date the park road closes (due to snow) can certainly change, but the opening date hasn't been delayed as long as I can remember. The dates above by mapleleaves are extremely accurate, rarely if ever delayed because the road is cleared each year well before those dates anyway.

I can't recall, the park not starting the shuttle buses on time, over many years. I recommend planning a trip AFTER June 1. For me, Eielson is the min. distance in.

As for Whale watcher's adventure, Most all of the regular car rentals so NOT allow you to drive on the Park Road past the paved section. The road is rough. There are a few independent rentals in Anchorage that do allow it. Of course, many people think nothing of voiding their contracts and drive these roads anyway. You'll have to make that decision yourself.

The date the park road closes (due to snow) can certainly change, but the opening date hasn't been delayed as long as I can remember. The dates above by mapleleaves are extremely accurate, rarely if ever delayed because the road is cleared each year well before those dates anyway.

Thx a mint for the post and clarification. I'm heading to EVC on one of the early tours and when I read that previous post...:eek: You've saved me a lot of worrying and time looking at possible ways to re-arrange my itin!

cheers,

:)

I love going to the park before it is "officially" open for business in the spring. You can drive to Tek at mile 29 with the opportunity to see bears, wolves, moose, and caribou, with sheep off in the distance. I remember a few years ago, my friend and I drove to Tek and then walked for a couple of miles down and across the bridge. We spotted a fresh set of lynx tracks in the snow that had fallen the previous night and was starting to melt. As we walked back the local wolf pack began to howl. Two wolves were across the valley howling and the rest of the pack up on the ridge howling back. It is an amazing experience to hear wolves howling in the wild.

The downside is that everything is still fairly brown as green-up is not until the latter half of May, but the park is just bursting with life anyway. The caribou can still be found in groups of 5-10 and are close to the road. Bears can be seen along the Tek digging for roots and sedges, lots of nesting birds, including some rare owl species (I have seen great horned, grey, and hawk owls in this area), and a chance to see ptarmigan still in their winter colors.

I would personally say that Denali is wonderful whenever you can get there, but if you go early you will have to be a bit more organized and I would never consider it without my own vehicle. Otherwise you can wait until all the people arrive and the tour buses start running.

I can't recall, the park not starting the shuttle buses on time, over many years. I recommend planning a trip AFTER June 1. For me, Eielson is the min. distance in.

As for Whale watcher's adventure, Most all of the regular car rentals so NOT allow you to drive on the Park Road past the paved section. The road is rough. There are a few independent rentals in Anchorage that do allow it. Of course, many people think nothing of voiding their contracts and drive these roads anyway. You'll have to make that decision yourself.

We rented locally, specifically so we could drive into the park. Would never consider voiding our contract, as would not care to br responsible for the consequences. The park road was freshly graded in may and MUCH better than the gravel road we live on, however. We have made similar rental arrangements in Hawaii, in order to legally drive on the saddle and strip roads; birding generally is better WELLoff the beaten track.

Archived