Kayaking around the glacier

Bebet

Has anyone done this? If so, where did you do it and what group did you use? Was the water choppy or smooth? My kids said they were interested in this but I want to know how hard it is to go kayaking there.

Has anyone done this? If so, where did you do it and what group did you use? Was the water choppy or smooth? My kids said they were interested in this but I want to know how hard it is to go kayaking there.

What port? What glacier?

Is the the cruise ship excursion in Juneau? If so, you will be in the ocean and Mendenhall Glacier is in Mendenhall Lake, miles away, so you're not in fact kayaking around the glacier. You would need to do an independent excursion to actually kayak around the glacier.

I read in a NPS brochure that you have to stay some distance back from the face of the glaciers, because they can actually calve underwater and big chunks of ice can "pop" up from underneath the water. It would still be a unique perspective and worth doing, though, I think.

I read in a NPS brochure that you have to stay some distance back from the face of the glaciers, because they can actually calve underwater and big chunks of ice can "pop" up from underneath the water. It would still be a unique perspective and worth doing, though, I think.

We did some kayaking in front of Lamplugh Glacier in Glacier Bay last May and were told that we needed to stay at least 1/4 mile away from the face for that reason. They break off under water and come shooting up at an angle away from the glacier.

Yeah, these things often pop up out of nowhere. They're known as "shooters" and a a spectacular surprise from a distance.

You also have to be careful to not get too close to hanging glaciers (glaciers up above you). A kayaker was killed several years ago when ice fell from the Northland glacier in Blackstone Bay (western Prince William Sound) and landed in a party of kayakers.

If your kids don't mind a canoe rather than a kayak, we took the Mendenhall Lake Canoe Adventure excursion that allowed us to paddle among the little icebergs in front of the Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau. There's also a huge waterfall. Nice trip. :)

We will be in Juneau, Skagway and Ketchican on this trip. I think I would feel more secure having a guided tour. Our cruise is June 18. I also want to do a whale watching boat tour, not sure where yet. The boys may want to do a zip line tour as well. There are just too many choices.

We will be in Juneau, Skagway and Ketchican on this trip. I think I would feel more secure having a guided tour. Our cruise is June 18. I also want to do a whale watching boat tour, not sure where yet. The boys may want to do a zip line tour as well. There are just too many choices.

You'll want to do your whale watching out of Juneau - 100% sightings of humpbacks there.

It's all about choices and repeat trips. :) Any of your selections will offer you a great time.

Deleted

Archived