what made you take your first cruise?

We took our first cruise on the Himalaya [seen here when we were in Lautoka] in the early '70s.

HimalayaFijii72.jpg

Whilst it was our first "cruise", it was our second sea voyage, and choosing to cruise was a direct result of the great time we had on the Centaur when we travelled home on it from Singapore to Australia in my army days some years previously.

Centaur.jpg

I have never really thanked all you wonderful Aussie taxpayers for paying for us to go on our first sea voyage.

You are truly wonderful people.:p:p

After the Centaur we got the bug. :D

My whole family were going away on one so i thought why not. Went away and had the best time. I didn't think I would like it and had that whole "Oh, well what can you possibly do on a boat for X days"

Has to be the best and most fun, yet relaxing, way to holiday!

always wanted to go to Fiji area, an always wanted to take the kids on a cruise.. so we are finally going on our first cruise this August on Princess Dawn.. just a 7 nighter to start with!

My uncle Col (The Fox) he sure can nag (doesn't run in the family !!) but so glad he did. I am now on my fifth cruise !!! Well done Colly xxx :D

Ha Ha took you 20 years to listen .....and not listening runs in the family...LOL;)

Went to visit my daughter. Wasn't keen to go-thought I'd hate being stuck on a boat, I'd get seasick as every boat I'd ever been on I'd been sick-still get queasy on glass bottom boats. Thought I'd be bored. In the end I took a pile of books, sudoko puzzles and resigned myself to travel sickness tablets. Went on the 'Norwegian Pearl'. I had an absolute ball, never had a days sickness or took any tablets, didn't read any books or do sudoku puzzles. I had an absolute ball, totally addicted am just about to notch up my 10th cruise in less than 3 1/2 years.:)

always wanted to go to Fiji area, an always wanted to take the kids on a cruise.. so we are finally going on our first cruise this August on Princess Dawn.. just a 7 nighter to start with!

Good on you..... I bet you'll be hooked on cruising by the time you disembark and within a month you'll be researching your next one... :):)

Jillybean:)

This was the lovely Ocean Monarch.... Single and young enough then to not need sleep so did everything there was to do on my cruise from Sydney around the islands and back to Auckland in the 70's. Have a look at how steep the gangway is....Eek!!

Sorry I've never learnt how to resize these pics to on here. If someone can tell me I'll write it down so I remember for next time..

Jillybean:)

ocean_monarch.jpg.63a0e4051f5d03b43eea54d2811f95cb.jpg

Just be careful - once you do one, well, its an addiction you cannot quit or cure.

Hope you have a wonderful time, I am yet to go to Fiji (next feb) but from what I have seen it looks amazing!

A school trip, educational cruise to the Norwegian fjords at the tender age of ten. The addiction to overseas travel started then, but it took a few more years to get going .....

Then ..... took my daughter on the Pacific Star to the South Pacific in 2006 and haven't looked back!

This week I am doing my tenth cruise and my daughter her fifth :D :D and the countdowns speak for themselves.

I got to go onboard a cruise ship (the old P&O Oriana) when I was young fella to see my grandparents off on a cruise (back when you could do such a thing)...ever since then I always wanted to do a cruise but just never got around to it.

Last year was the wife's and my 10th year anniversary so we took the plunge on the Rhapsody of the Seas. We loved it so much we booked another cruise within a month of disembarking from the ship. We realise not all cruise lines are the same but that's what makes them interesting I reckon...no such thing as a bad cruise really. A cruise is what you make of it. ;):)

Hi,

I was just comming back into the harbour around daybreak after a nights fishing 10 miles of the coast.we were cleaning our catch and fishing for greasy mackrel for bait....when this great white Ocean liner cruise majestically past.I was around 20 y/old at the time and I said to my mate we should do a cruise.....we saved up for yonks and finally sailed on the Orcades.

The rest is history......the only time I haven,t cruise was when the kids were little.Its a great holiday and I will try to do one cruise and one land based holiday each year......makes retirement a way off....but if I keep working I can keep holidaying.

Col;)

Hi there,

I won my first cruise in a competition in 1999.:D

Our local paper ran this competition for the whole month of January.

I didn't really even know what the major prize was, just wanted a coles voucher or a family pass to jamberoo fun park maybe.

The prize was 10 days around the south pacific on the Norweign Star.

We had a great time and met a couple that we have keep in touch with ever since.

It took us a while to get to our next cruise (9 years ...lol), but we are truly hooked now.:)

Deidre.

Hi there,

I won my first cruise in a competition in 1999.:D

Our local paper ran this competition for the whole month of January.

I didn't really even know what the major prize was, just wanted a coles voucher or a family pass to jamberoo fun park maybe.

The prize was 10 days around the south pacific on the Norweign Star.

We had a great time and met a couple that we have keep in touch with ever since.

It took us a while to get to our next cruise (9 years ...lol), but we are truly hooked now.:)

Deidre.

That's so funny - just wanted the Coles voucher !!

Our first cruise was on the Diamond Princess in 2004 a few months after she first set sail. We cruised from Seattle to Alaska and back. It was part of a package tour which included the Canadian Rockies.

At the time I liked the cruise but I didn't rave about being on the ship but did like the ports. I think our biggest issue as first timers was that we didn't know what we could / couldn't do on board, what was / wasn't included etc and other options. We were also cheesed off that we didn't get our shore excursion which was due to a very slack TA chain which we've never used again.

People have asked what made us go on our second cruise and we answer that we wanted to give it another try being a bit "older and wiser" about how life on board works.

Ever since then we've been hooked and always try to do a land based trip with a cruise, preferably to finish up with so we can relax a little but sometimes, those shore excursions can be tiring.

Primarily for us, cruising gives us the ability to experience a city or town for a few hours that we may never have been able to see other than on a cruise - too many places to go and we haven't won lotto - yet!!

meeting some one from cruise crititc who said so much about cruise that we thought we would give a go and have not looked back, petty that the person that started it all is no longer friends with us. but thats life.

Archived