Royal Princess it is!

JanieCaper

We are very disappointed that Princess would design a ship after the "S" class of Celebrity.
While the renderings may resemble the Celebrity ships, I wonder if Princess really designed the newbuilds after them - given they have totally different design teams and are being built in totally different shipyards.
However, I didn't see too many here expressing the same frustration that the old Royal Princess is being transferred out by Princess. Princess very easily could have gone for major upgrades and refurbishment to that ship and chose not to.
I was around on the boards at the time and there was a level of frustration, but the number of loyal Royal 1 fans didn't match the number of fans clamoring for new and bigger ships. Unfortunately, the bigger the ship, the more economical and so the more attractive to the bottom line and the stockholders.
rick i agree, i am wondering what the Grand is going to "look like" after skywalkers is removed ( i believe that was also partially a fuel efficiency move, no? )and wondering what the Onefive Lounge will be like on her(not long to wait!) also wondering if the major changes on that ship will be made on others
After seeing the initial rendorings, I'm sort of more interested in the Grand Princess refit than the Royal Princess newbuild.

I don't want to rain on Princess' Royal parade but due to the added height for an additional cabin deck the new Royal Princess looks to be very top heavy. This suggests to me that it will be a big wind catcher and if so you all know what that means. BTW: Where are the aft pools and where is the mid ship outside promanade deck? P.S. I heard that there will be a second atrium in the back in front of Club Fusion or whatever name they give it.

I hate to say it, but that is a very good point.

As with everything else, especially in a tight world economy, businesses cannot ignore the economies of scale. There is always a tipping point, however, and I'll be curious to see over time whether RCI may not have passed it with the Behemoths of the Sea. :p

I think RCI has already passed it. Their next newbuilds that they have announced will be larger than the Royal Princess, but much smaller than the Oasis and Allure of the Seas. I believe they will be around 150,000 GRT or thereabouts.

After seeing the initial rendorings, I'm sort of more interested in the Grand Princess refit than the Royal Princess newbuild.

I really like what I see of the new Royal Princess so far, although I do want a full wrap around promenade and a covered pool :rolleyes:, but I am very interested in the updates that the Grand is having as well Brian. It think the updated Grand will be a fabulous new ship. :D

I think RCI has already passed it. Their next newbuilds that they have announced will be larger than the Royal Princess, but much smaller than the Oasis and Allure of the Seas. I believe they will be around 150,000 GRT or thereabouts.

I have just been reading Malcolm Oliver's cruiseblog and he states that for the first time ever RCI have no new ships on order. So where did you hear about these new 150,000 GRT RCI ships?

I don't want to rain on Princess' Royal parade but due to the added height for an additional cabin deck the new Royal Princess looks to be very top heavy. This suggests to me that it will be a big wind catcher and if so you all know what that means. BTW: Where are the aft pools and where is the mid ship outside promanade deck? P.S. I heard that there will be a second atrium in the back in front of Club Fusion or whatever name they give it.

Yes more height equals more sail area but other than that, No, I don't know what you mean.

Princess first considered naming the Ruby Princess the Opal Princess according to Princess staff hearsay.

If they have a Pacific Princess, why not add an Atlantic Princess? Just a thought.

Good point on the smaller ships being acquisitions. I guess they could still renovate them though. I am hesitant to book one. Even on a port intensive cruise, I still like the variety of things to do on the big ships and also like anytime dining.

Some comments on things that they are deleting. I thought the terrace pool was kind of small and dumpy. It looks like the lotus pool (outside of the gym) is now much bigger. I hope they keep the swim against the tide machine. I will shed no tears for the demise of Skywalkers. I'd be happier it there was a place like Adagio up there.

I was around on the boards at the time and there was a level of frustration, but the number of loyal Royal 1 fans didn't match the number of fans clamoring for new and bigger ships.

Of course, being a smaller ship it did not need thye number of fans who like the big ships.

I understand one reason the current Royal is leaving the fleet is that it has no mini-suites which even small ship lovers like to book.

Of course, being a smaller ship it did not need thye number of fans who like the big ships.

I understand one reason the current Royal is leaving the fleet is that it has no mini-suites which even small ship lovers like to book.

Yes, that is one of the reasons that she is being transferred to P&O UK. Another is that P&O is selling Artemis (the original Royal Princess) and needs another smaller vessel in its fleet. She'll also be billed as an adults only ship (it's interesting to note that they already have a picture of her on their website in P&O livery http://www.pocruises.com/Cruise-Ships/Adonia/Ship-Overview/). :rolleyes:

rick i agree, i am wondering what the Grand is going to "look like" after skywalkers is removed ( i believe that was also partially a fuel efficiency move, no? )and wondering what the Onefive Lounge will be like on her(not long to wait!) also wondering if the major changes on that ship will be made on others.... ......

Princess posted renderings of how Grand will look after the work is completed on Flickr. You can see them here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/princesscruises/sets/72157625962301844/with/5410547469/

According to articles I've read, Skywalkers on Grand is heavier on her than the other ships which puts stress on the hull and reduces fuel efficiency. On the others, they adjusted the design to use lighter materials to avoid those problems.

Nice! The new Royal will be approximately the size of the Navigator of the Seas,

which we recently spent 10 days aboard.

My first thought: If princess 'expands the Piazza' to 'Royal Promenade

dimensions' I hope the designers allow 'sea views' from the Piazza.

Otherwise it is like being in a small Mall on land.

We like the elegant, cohesive interior design of Princess ships and

hope The Royal continues that theme.

I didn't read about Rock Walls, Flow Riders and Zip Lines....good!

:cool::cool:

The trend to mega ships carrying large numbers of passengers, like the new Royal Princess, is very unappealing to me. I've been on large, medium and small ships. The larger ships just leave me cold. They are very impersonal...from my perspective.

Not my cup of tea, darling! They ain't buildin' 'em for moi!!!

I didn't know the reason why it was being moved (Royal) but I am one who definitely prefers a mini suite on the smaller ships and even the bigger ones!

Jennie

Yes, that is one of the reasons that she is being transferred to P&O UK. Another is that P&O is selling Artemis (the original Royal Princess) and needs another smaller vessel in its fleet. She'll also be billed as an adults only ship (it's interesting to note that they already have a picture of her on their website in P&O livery http://www.pocruises.com/Cruise-Ships/Adonia/Ship-Overview/). :rolleyes:

So let me get this right. The present Royal when it goes into drydock is going to be getting mini-suites put in?

The ship will be called Adonia?

It will be adult only?

Where will it be sailing?

Do elites on P & O get mini-bar, laundry and some internet minutes?

So let me get this right. The present Royal when it goes into drydock is going to be getting mini-suites put in?

The ship will be called Adonia?

It will be adult only?

Where will it be sailing?

Do elites on P & O get mini-bar, laundry and some internet minutes?

Not that I know of... when she goes into drydock, they will transform her from Royal Princess to Adonia by adding signature P&O venues and livery. I don't believe that they will be adding mini-suites. And yes, she'll be adults only.

If you're asking about Princess elites sailing on P&O, I don't believe their status follows them except that possibly the voyage itself counts as another "notch" in their Princess loyalty belt.

We had lunch with a ship's officer on the Royal (who I am not identifying on purpose) who said that P & O doesn't take care of their ships so I wouldn't expect too many "upgrades" in that drydock. He said that when Princess gets ships back from P & O it takes a long time to bring that ship back to Princess standards.

We were in Bora Bora with a P & O ship doing a world cruise and their tenders spewed black smoke and leaked oil into the beautiful blue water.

We went on an excursion with some P & O passengers and they said they had to "borrow" a tender from the Royal ( not the one that was leaking the oil ) because not all of theirs worked. :eek:

I have just been reading Malcolm Oliver's cruiseblog and he states that for the first time ever RCI have no new ships on order. So where did you hear about these new 150,000 GRT RCI ships?

Royal Caribbean Signs Letter of Intent to Build New Generation of Ships

MIAMI/PAPENBURG – February 11, 2011 – Royal Caribbean Cruises, Ltd. has signed a letter of intent with shipyard Meyer Werft to build the first of a new generation of Royal Caribbean International cruise ships. #Developed under the code-name “Project Sunshine,” the new vessel design incorporates new and exciting features that take advantage of the best of Royal Caribbean’s experience and imagination. #The project is a result of over a year of dedicated research and development. #

The order calls for one ship to be delivered in the Fall of 2014 with an option for a second ship for Spring 2015. #The 158,000 Gross Registered Tons (GRT) new build will carry just over 4,100 guests based on double occupancy. #The estimated all-in cost per berth is about €170,000. #This all-in cost includes the yard’s base contract price plus everything needed to design, operate and build the vessel, from architect fees to supervision costs and all loose inventories from computers to art and bed linens.

“Royal Caribbean has worked hard to earn a reputation of offering the most innovative ships in the cruise industry and this next generation will not disappoint,” said Richard D. Fain, Chairman and CEO of Royal Caribbean Cruises, Ltd. #“While we continue our policy of keeping our newest ideas and features under wraps during the early stages of construction, I can say that I am very excited about the passion and imagination that our teams have devoted to the project. #Project Sunshine builds on the best ideas of our existing ships and adds exciting new activities and entertainment concepts. #It will offer features for everyone: from grand, spectacular spaces to small intimate settings; from active, invigorating activities to the serenity of more personal space; and from a plethora of dining alternatives to a cornucopia of opportunities for families. #I am also excited about the energy efficiency and environmental technologies which have been incorporated. #Our existing ships are some of the most energy efficient in the world and Project Sunshine takes this one further step. #Based on our over 20 years of experience with Meyer Werft, along with their compelling proposal, we know they will deliver on all of the innovations Royal Caribbean’s guests have come to expect.”

"Meyer Werft #is pleased to be working with Royal Caribbean especially in light of their reputation for building such innovative ships. #I am very happy we are continuing our long time partnership with Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. and its brand Royal Caribbean International. Their projects always present incredible opportunities for Meyer Werft to create the latest cutting edge hardware in the cruise industry,” said Bernard Meyer, managing partner of Meyer Werft shipyard.

The letter of intent is subject to customary conditions being satisfactorily met. #

How dare them give that name to a mega monster ship! :eek: The Royal Princess has always been a smaller more intimate ship..............I am speechless that they would do this to the Royal Princess name. :mad:

I have to agree. The smaller Royal Princess is our favorite ship of all times. We were on it for the naming ceremony in Portofino. The best cruise of 30+! Can't say I like this move toward mega-ships but I understand the economics.

Deb

We had lunch with a ship's officer on the Royal (who I am not identifying on purpose) who said that P & O doesn't take care of their ships so I wouldn't expect too many "upgrades" in that drydock. He said that when Princess gets ships back from P & O it takes a long time to bring that ship back to Princess standards.

We were in Bora Bora with a P & O ship doing a world cruise and their tenders spewed black smoke and leaked oil into the beautiful blue water.

We went on an excursion with some P & O passengers and they said they had to "borrow" a tender from the Royal ( not the one that was leaking the oil ) because not all of theirs worked. :eek:

It's a shame that two, obviously Princess, ships (Ventura and Azura) went to P&O instead of Princess...

Archived