Opinion on NY Check-in Staff?

superdxa

Only sailed from NY once, this past October for the Dawn rerpo, but had no complaints at all with the staff there. I will say, it would take a lot to upset me, when in a dew hours I was escaping on a cruise.

Al

I have always found the NY port staff to be friendly, smiling and helpful. In October I thought Boston showed a bit more hospitality but then sailed from NYC again in January and found them to be equally friendly and helpful.

Overall they are ok but I have an issue with the way the ship boarding is done.

I cruised on the Jewel out of NYC in May & Oct of last year. We drive down from Boston so we get there early to ensure we have a parking spot. We get in line, clear security and get in the checked in line. As you enter the check in line they give you a number, this is your boarding number. My wife and I were one of the 1st 50 or so people that checked in and we were give number 30. When boarding started the NYC staff started with number 1. Am I missing something??????

I cruised on the Jewel out of NYC in May & Oct of last year. We drive down from Boston so we get there early to ensure we have a parking spot. We get in line, clear security and get in the checked in line. As you enter the check in line they give you a number, this is your boarding number. My wife and I were one of the 1st 50 or so people that checked in and we were give number 30. When boarding started the NYC staff started with number 1. Am I missing something??????

Must be Yankees fans in charge!!:)

The same happened with us, we were given number 22. I think they leave a gap of open numbers for people with priority boarding. We were called after group #8.

We had no issues sailing out of NYC. Found it to be very efficient and everyone was friendly.

The same happened with us, we were given number 22. I think they leave a gap of open numbers for people with priority boarding. We were called after group #8.

We had no issues sailing out of NYC. Found it to be very efficient and everyone was friendly.

Correct. For example, as Platinum Latitudes cruisers we will get a lower boarding number than someone who checks in the same time as we do but doesn't have that status.

GO PHILLIES :D Anyway, we have found that the Manhattan Cruise Terminal is the fastest and most efficient. With all the passengers excited to get on the ship and start their vacation, you would think there would be mass chaos. However, that is far from the case. Kudos to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal. :)

Yankees FOREVER!!! :D

Is there a seperate lounge/area for priority check in guest?

We are getting married on the ship and have to be there early for priority check in. The couple, the wedding party and all the wedding guest have to come early for this and check in together. The wedding is at 12:30 and I believe we'll all have to be there at 10:30.

• 2 weeks later...

All wedding parties and special events/parties are seated in a different area and could have a different boarding process depending on if they entire wedding is staying on the ship for the rest of the cruise or if it is just an on and off experience for that same day

Actually, as odd as this may seem, the check in in NY is one of my favorite cruise memories. The NCL employees were very nice and efficient but what made it a hoot were the cruise terminal employees. My husband had dropped us off in the front while he went to park the car up on the roof. There was a dense line and the lady at the front told me to get in line -- I said "I can't --- I'm waiting for my husband." She said to get in line and he could catch up with us. So, of course, this densely packed line, was moving at lightening speed and I'm getting more anxious by the minute because he is nowhere to be seen. Then we get up to the point where 2 officers are directing you through the security checks. I tell the first one that we're waiting for my husband and can't go any further (I have the tickets) -- now he's from NY -- he is kind of gruff and barks "ok -- stand over there". So we do. Now the 2nd officer turns and sees us standing there and says (with a thick NY accent) -- "whadda ya doing!?" Now I've lived in NY long enough that you just get to the point quickly - I point to the other officer and said,"he told us to stand here". At this point the officer says "whadda ya waiting for?" I said,"my husband -- he's parking the car." He says,"what's his name?" me "Keith". He says, "do ya see him coming?" I turn around and I see him coming down the escalator. I said "that's him!"

So he then cups his hands and shouts across this enormous room with all these people in line "KEITH --- come over here!" Waving his hands towards the front bringing him up past everybody right to the security check. It was very charming and very New York.

All wedding parties and special events/parties are seated in a different area and could have a different boarding process depending on if they entire wedding is staying on the ship for the rest of the cruise or if it is just an on and off experience for that same day

Oh okay, thanks; good to know.

We have 12 sailing guest and non sailing guest (don't have the RSVPs yet so not sure how many). It's confirmed that we all have to all be at the terminal by 10:30. Our wedding starts at 12:30.

We were on the Jewel a few weeks ago and thought the check-in process was great! We arrived at the pier at about 11:00, were through check-in and security in less than 10 minutes and were given #6. We were on the ship before noon.

Debarkation, however, was a nightmare. NCL seemed organized, but the customs officials were not. Passengers were hurded into the building like cattle and the customs people kept yelling to move in further. Elderly people were told that they weren't allowed to use the elevator and were struggling with their luggage on the escalator. Not a great way to end a wonderful cruise!

We have sailed twice on the NCL Gem out of New York and both times found the New York Cruise Ship Terminal check-in staff to be welcoming, attentive and helpful. They make you feel like your vacation has begun the minute you walk through their front door. We look forward to walking through those doors again on our next cruise!

Specifically regarding the check-in process... I would say that we have no concerns or complaints about it. Since I am disabled and travel with either a wheelchair or walker, depending on how I am doing at that time, we arrive early, usually between 11 and 11: 30 a.m. Neither time did we encounter lines. We just arrived, moved quickly through check-in and into the waiting area where we sipped hot chocolate and began to relax and shift gears to vacation mode. We actually enjoy the wait until boarding begins.

The only thing we don't care for during check-in and try to avoid is the embarkation photographer. Just not our thing. We would like it if the photographer would be less insistant and accept our first 'no thank-you.'

Bottom line... New York Cruise Ship Terminal check-in staff are Great!

Archived