Skagway White Pass RR & Yukon

CaribQween

I have a question regarding the RR/Bus combo. There seem to be so many different tours out there and different lengths of time. There are 3.5 hour, 7 hour, 9 hour, etc. Some are longer because they add certain stops for lunch or dog camps. I'm just trying to figure out what is the farthest you can go on one of these trips? I want to make sure we are going as far as you can go so we aren't missing anything. I have a feeling it is Emerald Lake but I'm not sure even after searching on here as well as looking at different independent tour websites. We want to be able to see everything on the tour, but are also hoping to have some time to look around Skagway before getting back on the ship. Any help would be appreciated.

Just about all the tours, beyond the 3/4 hour round trip, will go to Emerald Lake, which is the farthest point.

The key difference is the parallel transit to get there, by road or rail. Lake Bennett is the ultimate in scenery and history, no road access and just excellent. Certainly not for everyone, with the Fraser/White Pass distance of the rail road being enough for others.

We did the 9 hour tour train/bus combo with Chilkoot Tours last July. We did have plenty of time to see all the stops and beautiful scenery all around. We also had sufficient time to explore Skagway upon our return. I cannot speak for the Lake Bennett option, but we were happy with our choice. Here are pictures of the day.:)

May I ask what's the pricing of the Chilkoot tours? I cannot find it in their website.

I emailed Chilkoot and the longer tour is $175 (Princess is charging $199) The 3 1/2 hr is $119...I forget what Princess is charging for the shorter tour.

For others who have cruise to Alaska with Princess...what is the benefit -other than $$-going with Chilkoot..are the buses smaller, do they keep to a small group, can our party of 6 be alone? Do they use the same trains?? I understand that Dave's group takes smaller groups but there have been some negatives about him on the boards.

We have done private tours in Rome, and Cartegena and both times it was private ..just our group.

We are leaning towards Chilkoot but just wasn't sure what the real benefits were.

Thanks for any info.

I emailed Chilkoot and the longer tour is $175 (Princess is charging $199) The 3 1/2 hr is $119...I forget what Princess is charging for the shorter tour.

For others who have cruise to Alaska with Princess...what is the benefit -other than $$-going with Chilkoot..are the buses smaller, do they keep to a small group, can our party of 6 be alone? Do they use the same trains?? I understand that Dave's group takes smaller groups but there have been some negatives about him on the boards.

We have done private tours in Rome, and Cartegena and both times it was private ..just our group.

We are leaning towards Chilkoot but just wasn't sure what the real benefits were.

Thanks for any info.

Princess will use the full size buses (40 something passengers) and Chilkoot will use mini-buses with about 20 passengers. You will be on the same train, but in different cars. Sometimes - but not guaranteed - there will be fewer people on the cars that Chilkoot uses. I've done the tour with HAL (which I think will be the same as Princess) and Chilkoot and would pick Chilkoot every time!

Princess will use the full size buses (40 something passengers) and Chilkoot will use mini-buses with about 20 passengers. You will be on the same train, but in different cars. Sometimes - but not guaranteed - there will be fewer people on the cars that Chilkoot uses. I've done the tour with HAL (which I think will be the same as Princess) and Chilkoot and would pick Chilkoot every time!

I appreciate you information....I feel better about using Chilkoot. I prefer the smaller buses which gives a bit more personalization.

Thanks again!

We did the tour with Chilkoot that included the dog cart ride and we went as far as Emerald Lake. Whether you have time to explore Skagway will depend on your cruise departure time.

Jen in SoCal

I have a question regarding the RR/Bus combo. There seem to be so many different tours out there and different lengths of time. There are 3.5 hour, 7 hour, 9 hour, etc. Some are longer because they add certain stops for lunch or dog camps. I'm just trying to figure out what is the farthest you can go on one of these trips? I want to make sure we are going as far as you can go so we aren't missing anything. I have a feeling it is Emerald Lake but I'm not sure even after searching on here as well as looking at different independent tour websites. We want to be able to see everything on the tour, but are also hoping to have some time to look around Skagway before getting back on the ship. Any help would be appreciated.

I just got off the phone with Chilkoot...nicest people ever. Truthfully, their prices are only a little lower than Princess's...I'm looking at the Carcross Bus & Rail & it's a $10 differential. I think that's the one we're going to do...the guy said it really is a "full" experience.

We did the 9 hour tour train/bus combo with Chilkoot Tours last July. We did have plenty of time to see all the stops and beautiful scenery all around. We also had sufficient time to explore Skagway upon our return. I cannot speak for the Lake Bennett option, but we were happy with our choice. Here are pictures of the day.:)

Thanks for sharing your pictures. They were great. Looks like we'll be doing the same tour with Chilkoot that ya'll did.

Thanks for any info.

Is the longer one you are talking about is the bus and train combo to Bennett Lake? only 175.00per person?

Is the longer one you are talking about is the bus and train combo to Bennett Lake? only 175.00per person?

No, this "longer" one is one way rail Skagway to/from White Pass/Fraser, then rest by bus, with the turn around Emerald Lake.

And to do the train 1 way Skagway to Fraser then van to Emerald Lake and back to Skagway with Dyea Dave is $81 for the 1 way train + $79 for the van portion with Dave = $160. That does not include lunch.

And to do the train 1 way Skagway to Fraser then van to Emerald Lake and back to Skagway with Dyea Dave is $81 for the 1 way train + $79 for the van portion with Dave = $160. That does not include lunch.

Can you tell me if that is booking each portion of the trip independently? This is definitely an option we are thinking about doing to get the most of our time....

thanks!

Can you tell me if that is booking each portion of the trip independently? This is definitely an option we are thinking about doing to get the most of our time....

thanks!

I emailed Dyea Dave [dyeadave@msn.com]and they indicated that I should make our train reservation which I did on the WPYR website. The train fee gets paid at time of reservation which I did online or you can do by phone. http://www.wpyr.com/

Dyea Dave will pick us up at the ship at 0730 and take us to the train for the 0800 departure and then pick us up again at Fraser Station to continue the van journey. We pay the portion for the Dyea Dave tour at the end of the day.

I emailed Dyea Dave [dyeadave@msn.com]and they indicated that I should make our train reservation which I did on the WPYR website. The train fee gets paid at time of reservation which I did online or you can do by phone. http://www.wpyr.com/

Dyea Dave will pick us up at the ship at 0730 and take us to the train for the 0800 departure and then pick us up again at Fraser Station to continue the van journey. We pay the portion for the Dyea Dave tour at the end of the day.

I, too, booked with Dave - we are taking the van up - most likely. I will be watching for your reviews-might change to the train up.

Enjoy!

Did Dave mention that, depending on the weather, you would go up in the morning in the van if it is foggy and go back on the train in Fraser to Skagway,as the weather may clear up later in the day? Just curious which one way ticket to buy from the Rail company.

If book with Chilkoot, will they buy the train ticket for us instead of buying by ourselves? And I checked with Dave, they can not coombine the train tour if you want to go Bennett Lake. Why can't he while Chilkoot can?

Did Dave mention that, depending on the weather, you would go up in the morning in the van if it is foggy and go back on the train in Fraser to Skagway,as the weather may clear up later in the day? Just curious which one way ticket to buy from the Rail company.

That option wouldn't work for us as the Millennium is only in port until 1600 and apparently the return train would get us back to Skagway too late. Not sure that it matters much to us if we're on the train or in the van in fog if there is fog...hopefully no fog though! I would hope for no fog for at least one direction if not both.

That option wouldn't work for us as the Millennium is only in port until 1600 and apparently the return train would get us back to Skagway too late. Not sure that it matters much to us if we're on the train or in the van in fog if there is fog...hopefully no fog though! I would hope for no fog for at least one direction if not both.

What you don't understand, it the "fog" potential is fluid. You can go in and out and again with it. There can be mist, at the White Pass Summit, and full sun in Carcross. It's going to be a VARIED day any way.

If book with Chilkoot, will they buy the train ticket for us instead of buying by ourselves? And I checked with Dave, they can not coombine the train tour if you want to go Bennett Lake. Why can't he while Chilkoot can?

You need to verify this directly with the vendor. It looks like their current tour listing, is the complete tour price.

What you don't understand, it the "fog" potential is fluid. You can go in and out and again with it. There can be mist, at the White Pass Summit, and full sun in Carcross. It's going to be a VARIED day any way.

That is pretty much what I am expecting given that I live on the West Coast and we too are used to the fog, mist and rain conditions as a potential on any given day.

Archived