Disappointed & very Unhappy with Celebrity Business Practice

samel00

We all look for deals. Sometimes we pay more sometimes less. I wouldn't book right now though for next year until the middle east settles down. The price of oil will push the price up right now but hopefully when and if it comes down the rates will too.

If it's the "trip of a lifetime" to a very special destination on a very special date, you bet I'll book as far in advance as possible and pay the highest price I can afford to ensure I get exactly what I want.

But if it's our regular twice-a-year cruise, I'll now wait to book till after the final payment date and get all the price drops I can. Rising airfare does play into the equation...but we could have flown to Ft. Lauderdale THREE times for the difference between the price we paid for our cruise when we booked 9 months ago and the price after final payment.

That's not a problem because if the AQ balcony falls below what you paid for your oceanview cabin you can be upgraded to AQ after final payment. You just can't get a cabin credit or refund.

That was my original point. They refused to do that. I went at it twice and my TA went all the way to the regional manager and they refused to do it. I didn't ask for a refund or an OBC. I has a C3 and AQ and C2 were less than what I paid. I asked for the C2 and they refused.

Of course, the $100 difference was a hypothetical. I could have made it a $1000 difference and the principle would remain the same. I said 'hypothetically' in my post.

As I said previously, I still had a nice time and enjoyed the experience of my first Celebrity cruise. It didn't ruin my cruise or anything. I got a decent price when I first booked and was fine with it. They refused to give me the cabin I wanted when I asked for it. I would probably have paid extra for it within reason, but they wouldn't give it me. I don't like their policy. It's my right to have that opinion. Bottom line is that I was giving Celebrity a try. I may cruise with them again, but I won't book early with them. If I don't get on one of their ships again it won't break my heart. There's plenty of other options out there.

It is the high airfares that are hurting cruise line business.

Hey =X=, try Galveston, within driving distance for millions who wouldn't otherwise trek to Florida.

(RCCI and Carnival both upgrading their Galveston offerings this Fall).

That was my original point. They refused to do that. I went at it twice and my TA went all the way to the regional manager and they refused to do it. I didn't ask for a refund or an OBC. I has a C3 and AQ and C2 were less than what I paid. I asked for the C2 and they refused.

Of course, the $100 difference was a hypothetical. I could have made it a $1000 difference and the principle would remain the same. I said 'hypothetically' in my post.

As I said previously, I still had a nice time and enjoyed the experience of my first Celebrity cruise. It didn't ruin my cruise or anything. I got a decent price when I first booked and was fine with it. They refused to give me the cabin I wanted when I asked for it. I would probably have paid extra for it within reason, but they wouldn't give it me. I don't like their policy. It's my right to have that opinion. Bottom line is that I was giving Celebrity a try. I may cruise with them again, but I won't book early with them. If I don't get on one of their ships again it won't break my heart. There's plenty of other options out there.

Was it a new booking only special? If so it has always been that way and would be for any cruiseline.

What was the reason for refusing the upgrade? Did they say the price was for "New Bookings Only"?

We are on (3) B2B2B sailings starting this April with Celebrity. Because of rather high airfares ,the ship for the Panama Canal cruise is far from full as is the West Coast wine cruise . We did get upgraded from a cat 2B balcony to a C3 concierge ;however ,we recently saw the C3 concierge at over $800 less than our original price for the cat 2B we paid.We booked the 10 night West Coast Wine Cruise after final payment & got a fantastic price for a C2 concierge balcony with a great ship location .

What the above has taught us is that we will no longer book our Celebrity cruises before final payment ;but ,we are a couple who can sail in (only Balcony cabins) just about any location on the ship & we are retired . The higher air fares are expected to get even higher than todays fares & most every one factors those costs into their vacation budgets .

We are now looking to book a Fall 2012 Western Med 12 night cruise & the Trans Atlantic repositioning cruise as a B2B on the same ship . The ship most likely is the Soltice ;because we like the Western Med itinerary. We might book the trans Atlantic up front because the rates are low to begin with & hold off on the Western Med until after final payment or just book both cruises after final payment. We will buy (2) Passages deposits while on our cruises to get the OBC ;however ,booking after final payment will at least give us the iopportunity to get a much better price point .Then we will book our airfare .The Oct /Nov airfares are so much cheaper from the US to Europe.Barcelona Spain in this case from Los Angeles Intl ,than the same airfares in May/June ,the height of the tourist seasons beginings. The Temps from Barcelona to Venice aren't bad either ,from the 50s to perhaps 60 on a warm day . Seater or light jacket weather.

We did a Rhine river cruise in October & we found the weather just fine .

If I lived in South Florida I would probably wait until after final payment to book a Caribbean cruise, because there are so many options. People who live in South Florida also don't have to worry about coordinating flights and pre cruise hotels with their cruise.

This works when prices are going down. However, prices won't stay this way forever. NCL recently announcedan across the board price increase as of April 1st. Other lines will probably follow. It may soon be that the person who booked early has the best price.

I wonder how willing the poeple who are complaining about price drops would be if the cruise line came back to them and asked for an increase as all prices were rising. We would have another thread about such unfair business practices.

It appears that people simply want to have their cake and eat it too. Booked the best cabins early and then pounce on each and ever price decrease. I really think X's policy is fair if there is a decrease before final payment you can get an upgrade or an OBC. After final payment you have whatever you have.:)

This works when prices are going down. However, prices won't stay this way forever. NCL recently announcedan across the board price increase as of April 1st. Other lines will probably follow. It may soon be that the person who booked early has the best price.

I wonder how willing the poeple who are complaining about price drops would be if the cruise line came back to them and asked for an increase as all prices were rising. We would have another thread about such unfair business practices.

It appears that people simply want to have their cake and eat it too. Booked the best cabins early and then pounce on each and ever price decrease. I really think X's policy is fair if there is a decrease before final payment you can get an upgrade or an OBC. After final payment you have whatever you have.:)

Sorry but your post is inaccurate . First off as airfares increased rapidly 6-7times since last year .NCL & any other cruise line can increase cruise fares & have even less people boarding due to total budget costs of that vacation .BTW NCL only represents less than 15% of the entire mass cruise industry . It is pure economics & times have changed if you hadn't noticed. People don't want debt; as before & in fact saving more. This recession has scared the beejeebees out of them just like the depression of 1929 scared the other generation. thus ,holding on to their monies & must justify their cruise/air vacations. There are lots of other cheaper options for vacations .

Celeberity changed their pricing policy May 17,2010 to better suit Celebrity /RCL bottom line & NOT favorable to the cruise passenger. Prior to 5/10 /10 when prices droped a pax could get a OBC after final payment . That no longer happens. Refer to my post above for the REAL facts of the matter.

Posts ala yours misleads people & that is as much of the problem as the Celebrity disconnet with non customer service issues.

Just projecting a bit . Airlines can easily mothball a plane & then retrieve it, at realtively small cost .That is not true of moth balling a ship . The reasons for the incresed air fares are as follows:

1) higher jet fuel costs

2) a improving economy

3) less seats available as planes have been pulled & the airlines had major merges .

The above are frrom a airline industry source & not my opinion .

We noticed major discounting after final payment & even before final payment on all 3 of our B2B2B cruises in April 2011 (this is March 22,2011 I am posting).

I trust that you will now understand why it is important to report the real facts with transparency

Was it a new booking only special? If so it has always been that way and would be for any cruiseline.

What was the reason for refusing the upgrade? Did they say the price was for "New Bookings Only"?

Yes, by that time it was for new bookings only. And I understand the rule of new bookings only. I respect that. But, this was after I'd tried to get a cabin closer to the elevator a couple times. The first couple times when a cabin would open up they refused to change within my category because the other cabins would hold 4 people. OK, I understand that, too. Then, they wouldn't sell me a cabin that was available for less money because it was for new bookings only. They wouldn't even upsell it. Now, come on. Here's a cabin selling for less money than what I paid. They could easily have given it to me and resold my cabin for the same price. Believe me, I understand rules, but then I read many times over that they bent the rules for other people. As a matter of fact, someone on my roll call got a suite for the price of a balcony on that very same 'new bookings only' sale. I KNOW it happened. OK, I'm just a dumb first timer on Celebrity and I guess they don't care. I am elite on Princess and they seem to care to have me back as a customer. I guess that matters to me. I did enjoy the cruise once I was on it, but all that fighting for a cabin left a bad taste in my mouth.

If it makes you feel any better, we have more than 60 cruise credits with Celebrity and they just don't do that for new bookings only rates. As far as that "someone" getting the suite on a new bookings rate, I'm not saying it's impossible, but there were some games played and they didn't get caught.

We are Platinum on Princess too, but I've had enough bad experiences with them that I doubt will ever sail with them again. I'm more interested in how I'm treated on the ship than before the cruise.

I do not understand the concept of " New bookings only".

Is not it all bookings are new bookings after any price drop?

I think cruiselines use this statement so they do not have to lower rates for old bookings or upgrade. :confused:

With regards to my posts & other accurate posts by OP ,I actuaklly phoned the corporate office & spoke to a very nice person at the Executive customer level & NOT the regular customer level.

Celebrity has been good to us vs other cruise lines including their parent co RCL. With that in mind I also find Celebrity very good at sea . It is the land communications & customer service that imo needs improvement. Why should people get so many different answers calling up on the same topic . That simply is poor customer service . The other side of the coin is well intentioned pax on these threads mis quoting a Celebrity policy .

Imo the best remedy for any of this stuff rehappening is "IF" the subject matter is that important ,then we must get the answers in writng via e-mail or Fax . Then ,if we get denials ,we can say we got the thing in writing from a Celebrity representative & it is not a figment of our imagination.

I think cruiselines use this statement so they do not have to lower rates for old bookings or upgrade. :confused:

They have sales that are labeled "for new bookings only". Every Tuesday there are some of these for selected sailings and there are other special sales on occassion.

Regular prices on cruises can also vary from week to week and sometimes from day to day. They also sometimes include senior specials and resident specials. The prices posted on the Celebrity website when you do a test booking may include these kinds of changes. If you find those prices have decreased, before final payment you may get an upgrade, onboard credit or refund, after final payment the only option is to upgrade. You may have to cancel and rebook your cruise to do this and could lose your cabin. If you use a good travel agent they should keep track of this for you. If you book with the cruiseline you need to monitor it yourself. They do not automatically give anyone a decrease, you have to request it.

They will not do any of these things for a "new bookings only" sale.

"New Bookings Only" refer to those that do not have an existing booking....it's for those that are making their initial reservation at that time and don't have an exisiting one. 'New', as not an exisiting booking.

As has been explained, if you have an existing booking and the prices of your category SR drops and its before Final Payment, you get the new pricing. If it is a special sales, as is the 'Tuesday Specials' or if it states the price being offered is for "New Bookings' then existing bookings don't get that price drop. There have been posts about getting to upgrade your SR if the price drops after Final payment and so on, and that has already been discussed.

Edit: Just what Ma Bell says!

Den

As far as that "someone" getting the suite on a new bookings rate, I'm not saying it's impossible, but there were some games played and they didn't get caught.

quote]

How was it done?

Lets just say some travel agents shuffle things around.

They have sales that are labeled "for new bookings only". Every Tuesday there are some of these for selected sailings and there are other special sales on occassion.

Regular prices on cruises can also vary from week to week and sometimes from day to day. They also sometimes include senior specials and resident specials. The prices posted on the Celebrity website when you do a test booking may include these kinds of changes. If you find those prices have decreased, before final payment you may get an upgrade, onboard credit or refund, after final payment the only option is to upgrade. You may have to cancel and rebook your cruise to do this and could lose your cabin. If you use a good travel agent they should keep track of this for you. If you book with the cruiseline you need to monitor it yourself. They do not automatically give anyone a decrease, you have to request it.

They will not do any of these things for a "new bookings only" sale.

We have & other people have paid a bit more & got upgraded in the past when it was new bookings .We did this on last May 2010 on Millie .We upgraded from a outside in that case to concierge with a great location on the ship .I don't recall the exact dollars involved but it wasn't absobanent .

What is funny is where do you find TAs that monitor your booking until you board the ship ? We work with what I think is a decent & honest TA.However, I subscripe to a watch dog service on line which will e-mail me each & every time that the cruise line decreases or increases prices for my category .I can also do this for multiple categories ;which I do .That service also tells me what % of the ship is sold.once I get the drop price e-mail I phone my TA to get me the reduced prices. On 3 cruises in April /May 2010 B2B2B .The service got me first cruise 2 discountsd of $400 & $600 . The 2nd cruise we got $600 discount & since the prices droped so much on the 2nd cruise (Panama Canal) we upgraded in addition to the discount to a Concierge C3 from a reg Balcony Cat 2B .The 3rd cruise (10 night wine cruise);as a after thought to take it ,we booked after final payment & booked at huge savings into a Concierge C2 category.

imo it is extremely hard for most people to contend with Celebrity's pricing policies & their multiple discounts. Also ,many people work where we are retired ,have time to do the research & candidly ,we can opt for just about any location on the ship as long as it is a balcony. One day perhaps a suite booking,lol

If it's the "trip of a lifetime" to a very special destination on a very special date, you bet I'll book as far in advance as possible and pay the highest price I can afford to ensure I get exactly what I want.

But if it's our regular twice-a-year cruise, I'll now wait to book till after the final payment date and get all the price drops I can. Rising airfare does play into the equation...but we could have flown to Ft. Lauderdale THREE times for the difference between the price we paid for our cruise when we booked 9 months ago and the price after final payment.

Some of us have to plan far in advance, and get the best price possible for our special cruise, but this environment has changed in the past year so for those of you who are flexible take your chances and wait. It is a gamble either way, but I am not going to blame the cruiseline for trying to make a profit. An upgrade to a better cabin would go a long way to soothing feathers for those of you who think you have been wronged.

I remember the good old days when cruise lines actually published prices in their brochures, those pricing varying only by season - high, low, shoulder, holiday, plus the early bird saver (book six-plus months out and get the guaranteed lowest fare). All you had to do was pick your sail date/accommodations and shop around for a TA offering the best discount off the brochure price and you were DONE! Now you pick your sail date/accommodations and spend the ten months leading up to your cruise monitoring prices on an hourly basis, chasing sales you can't take advantage of, and scratching your head as you try to figure out why your senior, resident, group, five times price reduced inside cabin in the bowels of the ship which you booked almost a year ago is costing you $5000 more than the penthouse suite some guy booked a week before the cruise. I can't tell you how happy I am that Celebrity finally decided to simply things!

The best advice that I can give to anyone after 37 cruises is to pick the cruise and the cabin that you want at a time and price that you are happy with and that you can afford. Book the trip at that time and enjoy planning for it. Forget about looking for better prices after that and just think about what you are looking forward to. The stress of thinking that you may have saved a few dollars is not worth it. Believe me, I know of many people who have had a trip ruined by this exercise.

The best advice that I can give to anyone after 37 cruises is to pick the cruise and the cabin that you want at a time and price that you are happy with and that you can afford. Book the trip at that time and enjoy planning for it. Forget about looking for better prices after that and just think about what you are looking forward to. The stress of thinking that you may have saved a few dollars is not worth it. Believe me, I know of many people who have had a trip ruined by this exercise.

I think you are speaking to me!! My plan is to book now, get the cabin I am content with, and not peek at the pricing til a month before final payment is due. Then I will likely check daily. If my cruise is on a Tu Special pre-final-payment, I could always put the cabin I would like on hold then cancel and rebook. If after final payment a better cabin comes along, I might seek an upgrade even for a tad more $$.

Currently, the cruise I am interested in has a $650 pp price differential between an OV and lowest verandah. That $1300 difference will cover lots of options onboard. And the cruise is very port itensive so I'm thinking I won't miss a verandah too much, maybe....

We have done 50+ cruises & most with Celebrity . Seems you are satisfied with your planing .However, I have saved $thousands of dollars on the 3 cruises we are doing B2B2B by having the right information at the right time & the free upgrade on a 15 night Panama Canal cruise .All these cruises are 4/8 ,4/18 & 5/3 start dates. I DO get emails from my cruise line cabin tracker as soon as a price drop occurs. We have been retired 12 years & the planing of any cruise for us along with air fare + the roll calls is 50% of the Fun .

The story goes "different strokes for different Folks"

Archived