Beverage cards

Grandma Gilly

I have been following all the recent activity about these, including the change from wine cards to beverage cards. What I don't understand is why anyone would purchase a card for say $50 for the same value in drinks. The soda card I can understand as you get $50 worth of soda for $25. A TA gift is another matter

It's a matter of saving money and convenience. Not a lot of little slips to save & very easy. PLUS anything not used can be credited back to your onboard account. So, why not?:D

I have been following all the recent activity about these, including the change from wine cards to beverage cards. What I don't understand is why anyone would purchase a card for say $50 for the same value in drinks. The soda card I can understand as you get $50 worth of soda for $25. A TA gift is another matter

I purchased mine not only for the 10% savings but to monitor how much I was consuming. I find if you're ordering and signing to your room account for alcoholic drinks it's a case of out of sight, out of mind and at the end of the week the bar bill is twice what you think it should be. With a card, I know if it runs out how much I've spent.

That's me and my view and others might vary.

I've always hated the "wow" bill at the end of a cruise. I have purchased a few cards since the first of the year and if my "guesstimate" is correct ,based on our normal on-board consumption, my bar bill should be already paid with a little left over for OBC (after the 10% deduction).

Someone check my math--I have a $100 card with $50 left at the end of the trip. I will only get $45 back, correct?
No, just $40. If the entire value of the card isn't used they will only give back up to the amount of cash spent on it. If you think you won't use an entire $100 card you are better of getting two $50s.

Someone check my math--I have a $100 card with $50 left at the end of the trip. I will only get $45 back, correct?

you will only get back $40 -- remember that you spent $90 for the card -- so you subtract from the $90

believe me -- the amount goes down pretty quickly on the cards

they also take out the 15% gratuity for the drinks as well

No, just $40. If the entire value of the card isn't used they will only give back up to the amount of cash spent on it. If you think you won't use an entire $100 card you are better of getting two $50s.

Duh! I only paid $90 for the card!:D

Why? If you buy two $50s at $45 each, use all of one and $5 of the second you still get back $40.

Which means that you have spent $55 dollars off your cards and still get $40 back, rather than the other example of spending $50 and getting $40 back.

Can use use the non-alcoholic beverage card to purchase, say, a non-alcoholic pina colada or is just just for sodas and coffees?

Apologies for quoting my own question but I'm concerned it's getting lost! :) Does anyone know the answer to the quoted question?

Does anyone know the answer to the quoted question?

Yes.

You can buy ANY beverage that does not contain alcohol with the Non-alcoholic Beverage Value Card. However, if you buy a soda with it, you will only save 10% as opposed to saving 50% if you bought it with the Soda Beverage Value Card.

Yes.

You can buy ANY beverage that does not contain alcohol with the Non-alcoholic Beverage Value Card. However, if you buy a soda with it, you will only save 10% as opposed to saving 50% if you bought it with the Soda Beverage Value Card.

Thank you. The issue is about my 2 adult sons trying to outdo each other by buying drinks for each other when one is indifferent to drinking (alcohol) and the other doesn't drink it at all - it may start with sodas but by the end of the trip, they're buying each other ever-fancier frozen concoctions without the alcohol. They don't drink enough for it to be a huge savings - it is just one more little "gifty thing" I can surprise them with! I'll probably buy them 1 or 2 of each.

Archived