Boarding Marina in Miami

ggglo

I called Oceania today to ask some questions. When I asked about boarding time (which is usually between 12:00 - 1:00 on most ships), I was shocked to learn that since we are cat. B4 we could not board until 3:00.

We have been on about 75 cruises (none on Oceania) and have never had to wait until 3:00 to board after the ship has been cleared for boarding. I asked about lunch which is usually served and the rep said we can have lunch after we board. Who would eat lunch after 3:00? I can't believe we will have to buy our own lunch before boarding!

Does anyone know if Oceania really adheres to this boarding schedule or is it just a guide line so everyone does not show up at the same time???? Please advise if you have boarded in Miami and run into this problem.

I called Oceania today to ask some questions. When I asked about boarding time (which is usually between 12:00 - 1:00 on most ships), I was shocked to learn that since we are cat. B4 we could not board until 3:00.

We have been on about 75 cruises (none on Oceania) and have never had to wait until 3:00 to board after the ship has been cleared for boarding. I asked about lunch which is usually served and the rep said we can have lunch after we board. Who would eat lunch after 3:00? I can't believe we will have to buy our own lunch before boarding!

Does anyone know if Oceania really adheres to this boarding schedule or is it just a guide line so everyone does not show up at the same time???? Please advise if you have boarded in Miami and run into this problem.

Miami is the one place where they usually do follow the boarding timelines.

Anyway, you cant count on getting aboard earlier, although you might. A lot depends on the ebb and flow of the other passengers arriving.

I'm confused though, about why you were not aware of this earlier.

Oceania makes no secret of the boarding process. What did you think that "Priority Boarding" meant?

The time we actually begin to board the vessel is usually NOON.

In extreme cases where either the Coast Guard or USPH board the ship for inspections or if there were issues with disembarking guests and customs, actual embarkation could be delayed to as much as 1:00PM.

3:00 PM is the LATEST time that ALL staterooms are ready and available for guests.

Lunch is served at the Terrace Cafe and at Waves.

Don't worry, you won't go "homeless" and you won't go hungry either!!

FDR

The time we actually begin to board the vessel is usually NOON.

In extreme cases where either the Coast Guard or USPH board the ship for inspections or if there were issues with disembarking guests and customs, actual embarkation could be delayed to as much as 1:00PM.

FDR

Why do they not change the time in the documents to 1 pm then?

In Amsterdam last summer we had to sit around the terminal building until 3 pm

SFO last month we were handed a paper when we checked in to say we could board at 2 pm but our documents still had 3 pm on them

So if you turned up early you could board

It would be nice to check in & board the ship at least around 1 pm

Most people have to check out of the hotel by 11 am or arrive the same day as the cruise & would just like to eat & rest up.

Lyn

Just received our documents for April Miami-San Francisco that clearly say

11 am boarding. Will we too have to sit around until 1 or later? I can't imagine that they don't change

the documents they send out to match current experiences.:(

You are probably in a suite or PH so you can board at 11 am.

Unless Immigration is being picky that day;)

Just to further muddy the waters, we're suite passengers (with one exception which was not our choice) and have never had a problem boarding at 11 when we arrived at that time ...

The only time we boarded in Miami we spent the afternoon at the Passport Bureau so we arrived very late ... so I can't speak to Miami but it does sound like Miami presents unique problems.

We were on the Regatta early January in a PH and were able to board around 11AM (as our document stated). They began boarding the concierge verandahs as soon as all of the suites passengers in the area were taken care of and then began boarding the remaining passengers fairly soon after. It appears that there was "open" boarding by about 12:30 - they maintained a line for suites and conceirge verandahs so those passengers could be taken care of immediately upon arrival. Oceania announced the suite staterooms were available for occupancy around 1PM. The Terrace was open for lunch as soon as we boarded and remained open all afternoon.

We are on the Regatta for the 26APR Passage to Panama and our documents also state an 11AM boarding for a PH. We will probably arrive between 11:30 - Noon, expect to board imediately, have lunch and our stateroom will be available about the time we have finished lunch.

Oceania has no control over customs and immigration so the timing may change but that's OK - it just adds to the excitement of boarding and starting another Oceania cruise!!

We were on the Regatta early January in a PH and

We are on the Regatta for the 26APR Passage to Panama and our documents also state an 11AM boarding for a PH. We will probably arrive between 11:30 - Noon, expect to board imediately, have lunch and our stateroom will be available about the time we have finished lunch.

We'll be boarding around the same time. See you on board.:)

We will look forward to seeing you in Miami but might be a bit "distant" in SFO when we have to disembark and you get to stay on ;)

My daughter Shari and husband David will be on your cruise..hope you meet them!!

Jancruz1

We were on the Regatta early January in a PH and were able to board around 11AM (as our document stated). They began boarding the concierge verandahs as soon as all of the suites passengers in the area were taken care of and then began boarding the remaining passengers fairly soon after. It appears that there was "open" boarding by about 12:30 - they maintained a line for suites and conceirge verandahs so those passengers could be taken care of immediately upon arrival. Oceania announced the suite staterooms were available for occupancy around 1PM. The Terrace was open for lunch as soon as we boarded and remained open all afternoon.

Oceania has no control over customs and immigration so the timing may change but that's OK - it just adds to the excitement of boarding and starting another Oceania cruise!!

Our docs for the April 12 "Regatta" cruise state embarkation 3: p.m...

We normally leave our home by 10:a.m in order to be at the port by noon & turn in the rental car..We're not entitled to Priority Boarding as we're in the "cheap seats"..

However, one in our party must eat around 1 or 2 due to medical problems..Do you think it would be wise to stop along the way for lunch before arriving at the port? There are no restaurants along "Allegator Alley" except the Indian Res., but wonder if those of you who have crossed the alley know of one near I-75

Our last Oceania cruise was in 2007 & I can't remember what time we all were boarded..

Thanks..:)Betty

[However, one in our party must eat around 1 or 2 due to medical problems..Do you think it would be wise to stop along the way for lunch before arriving at the port? There are no restaurants along "Allegator Alley" except the Indian Res., but wonder if those of you who have crossed the alley know of one near I-75

How about bring some fruit and a sandwich just incase?:confused:

However, one in our party must eat around 1 or 2 due to medical problems

I agree that bringing some fruit or something to munch on as an "in case" is a good idea but I am sure if they are boarding passengers and you explain the need to eat Oceania will get you on board before 2PM.... only if there was a delay due to customs or immigartion would there be a problem...

Lunch in the Terrace sitting out on the back deck is too perfect a way to start your cruise so would hate to miss...

However, one in our party must eat around 1 or 2 due to medical problems..Do you think it would be wise to stop along the way for lunch before arriving at the port?

Thanks..:)Betty

I would stop before the port, there are restaurants in Bayside Mall right near the port entrance

I always carry protein bars incase of low blood sugar emergencies

When I need to eat I need food NOW

Lyn

I would stop before the port, there are restaurants in Bayside Mall right near the port entrance

I always carry protein bars incase of low blood sugar emergencies

When I need to eat I need food NOW

Lyn

Like you he must eat at certain times...We usually do bring protein bars as fruit is usually not the best for him...Thought he should eat a full lunch though..Guess we could bring sandwiches & something to drink.. Will talk to his DW & see if stopping at the Bayside Mall might be the best idea for him..

Thanks... Betty

We hope so too and still hold out to meet you on a future cruise.:)

I am going on the Regatta in August and the Riviera inaugural..will you be on either? The truth is meeting Shari is almost the same as meeting me we are very much alike..not sure if that is good or bad for her..she is on the Roll Call..have a great trip all!!

Jancruz1

The truth is meeting Shari is almost the same as meeting me we are very much alike..not sure if that is good or bad for her..she is on the Roll Call..have a great trip all!!

Jancruz1

TOO FUNNY Jan

Lyn

Archived