Oceania or Regent to New Zealand and Australia?

brownsf

We're planning a cruise to New Zealand and Australia in early 2012. We've been considering Silversea and Regent, and had pretty much decided on Regent. Now I've learned of an Oceania cruise (on the Regatta). Both Regent and Oceania begin in Auckland, then go to

Tauranga. Regent goes on to Picton, Christchurch Timaru, Hobart, Melbourne and Sydney. They spend two days cruising the sounds and four days at sea. Oceania goes from Tauranga to Napier, Wellington, Christchurch, Dunedin, Hobart, Geelong, Melbourne and Sydney. They spend one day in the sounds and five at sea. Our travel agent was very down on the Geelong stop, since it's about 50 miles from Melbourne and apparently doesn't have a lot to do. Oceania is significantly less expensive than Regent. Regent doesn't allow smoking except in designated areas (one reason we ruled out Silversea is because they don't restrict smoking in cabins). Not sure what Oceania's policy on smoking is. Sorry to ramble on, but we're looking for advice on these cruises. Thanks in advance for any help.

I am sure that those that have sailed both lines will comment further

The big differences are

Oceania has 2 designated smoking areas, you pay for excursions & alcohol

Regent includes alcohol & excursions ...more inclusive

I think Regent has gone to more casual dress code as is Oceania

You should pick the one with the ports that interest you the most & fits your lifestyle

Enjoy what ever cruise you choose I do not think you casn go wrong with either one

Lyn

We did the Oceania version three years ago and enjoyed it very much. We didn't stop at Geelong at that time. Oceania's smoking policy is equally limited.

Can't speak to Regent!

Mura

If your bar bill tends to be high and prefer ship's excursions to DIY, then go with Regent; otherwise I prefer Oceania.

Geelong is closer to driving on Great Ocean Road & 12 apostles - to far from Melbourne.

Having recently returned from NZ/AU, including a 12 day cruise on Princess, my thought is that a cruise, without regard to which one you pick, will not and cannot provide anywhere near a complete feel for the culture, native peoples, and lifestyle of the 2 similar on the surface, but very different countries.

Accordingly, I think it's important to plan days, several days, on either end of your cruise to travel in each of them (and, on the front end, to help adjust from jet lag).

agree largely with Paulchili; it depends on your lifestyle and what you envision doing in re the options available on either one. We've sailed the Regatta twice, the Mariner with Regent, and did NZ with another line, so an amalgam of thoughts.

We thoroughly enjoy the ambiance of the Regatta, and also enjoy the other passengers. The access to upscale restaurants is better (IMHO) on Regatta, although the French restaurant Signatures on the SS Mariner was perhaps the best meal I've eaten at sea. On the Regatta, the Terrace Cafe for both lunch and dinner were more welcoming with (my opinion) a better variety of selections.

Regent's ships are very upscale and sleek, but perhaps the difference between a Phillipe Starck-designed space (new modern) and the country inn feel of Regatta & Oceania

If cabin size is critical, Voyager hands-down unless you book Penthouse or higher on Regatta (336 sq ft versus 216 sq ft on Regatta). If it Regatta's concierge class vs a Class G-F on the Voyager, pretty good bump ($4K) but the tipping, shorex and bar bill differences might make it less of a money-driven decision. If you're intent on flying business or higher, Regent has much better prices in general than Oceania (a mystery now that they are one), so the $4,000 pp extra starts to diminish.

In our experience, most of the shore excursions were included with Regent, but the best ones were capacity controlled, so no guarantee you'll see that "one thing" without a little vigilance. Of course, if you drink with each meal, Regent also wins; in fact, if you don't drink much, you will seem to acquire that habit pretty quickly (as you will to want a cheese cart at the end of dinner each time...).

Long story short, you'll know the combo that works best for you, and the itineraries are similar enough that it won't make much difference. I'd agree with your TA; the short-stop looks like they might not have been able to port in Melbourne a day earlier and went to the bullpen...

Thanks, and if these are the problems we are dealing with, we're all pretty lucky folks. Bob H

I agree with Fetchpeople that spending time in each country is important. The problem is that unless you have a LOT of time, spending the appropriate time is difficult (if you are on a cruise). But considering how far away Down Under is from the US, if you can manage extra time, the more, the better.

We came in two days early and left two days late (we also had an overnight in Sydney on Regatta). It gave us a flavor, but only a flavor.

While we were touring in Wellington we encountered an Australian couple that made very negative comments about New Zealanders ... likewise, we heard negative comments from New Zealanders about Aussies.

Just as Chileans and Argentinians are often negative about each other ...

Mura

Both Regent and Oceania begin in Auckland, then go to Tauranga. Regent goes on to Picton, Christchurch Timaru, Hobart, Melbourne and Sydney. They spend two days cruising the sounds and four days at sea. Oceania goes from Tauranga to Napier, Wellington, Christchurch, Dunedin, Hobart, Geelong, Melbourne and Sydney. They spend one day in the sounds and five at sea. .

We suggest you choose your cruise on the ports of call. We believe the Oceania cruise goes to much better ports of call.

As New Zealander's we think it would a great shame not to see Wellington, Dunedin and Napier. Wellington is the capital city of NZ and is beautiful. It is set around the harbour and is small and compact and easy to get around. Also has Te Papa the amazing new interactive museum that gives you a really good sense of NZ. Picton and Timaru are just very small towns.

Cheers

I did this cruise a few years ago on Regent. First all extras are covered fron dining/wine/ shore/outstanding cabins. etc

Second... a big second to me is you will be on a ship with half the passengers of Oceana and few if any kids. ;)

Dining will be far better on regent and all the speciality restauraunts on Oceana cost$$$ :o On Regent they are included...:rolleyes:

Oceana may be cheaper...you think till you get your final bill. On Regent you pay up front and thats it....

The 2 days cruising the NZ coast fijords are priceless.... that alone will be worth it......

I am a Regent junkie... if you want the best go with them.... you wont be sorry

I found form prior experience that Wellington, Turraga ( sp) Duneden were all pretty ho-hum

ChristChurch and Aukland were a clear winner but with the quake a lot is gone.

Picton... is across the channel from Wellington and in a wine growing region ...rural and charming

Geelong? Melbourne dock is about 10 miles from the town or so it seems Same with Christchurch The drive from Melbourne to see the 12 apostles ( now the 8 1/2 due to then falling over is a easy self drive.

Hobart is killer if you get our of town Tasmania is outstanding rent a car.

New Zealands true beauty lies not in its cities but in its costal and mountain landscape the fijords are the crown jewels.... way better than any port in my opinion

I did this cruise a few years ago on Regent. First all extras are covered fron dining/wine/ shore/outstanding cabins. etc

Second... a big second to me is you will be on a ship with half the passengers of Oceana and few if any kids. ;)

Dining will be far better on regent and all the speciality restauraunts on Oceana cost$$$ :o On Regent they are included...:rolleyes:

Oceana may be cheaper...you think till you get your final bill. On Regent you pay up front and thats it....

The 2 days cruising the NZ coast fijords are priceless.... that alone will be worth it......

You have every right to be a Regent junkie! Just get all your facts straight. (You also have the right to prefer food on Regent to Oceania's -- I won't argue with you since I haven't sailed on Regent yet.)

But the specialty restaurants on Oceania do NOT cost money. If you are on Marina, yes, there are two super special restaurants that charge. But the other restaurants do not. Perhaps you are thinking of NCL ... :D

And while I have seen a few children on our Oceania cruises, I haven't seen many! Those that we did see were generally better behaved than some of the adult passengers ...

Mura

Maybe you are confusing Oceana of P & O cruises with Oceania (cruise line)

There are very few children on OCEANIA cruises

& as Mura pointed out there is NO charge for the specialty restaurants

On the new ship they have 4 specialty restaurants with NO extra charges to dine there

I

Dining will be far better on regent - you forgot to say - IMO :)

I have been on both and, IMO, food is much better on Oceania (as is the service). Cabins, however, are much better on Regent (for comparable categories)

Now I am quite sure you are thinking of a different cruise line than Oceania. It looks like Regent is sending the Voyager (700 pax) to Australia & New Zealand. Oceania's Regatta (684 pax) will be doing a similar route early next year.

Just back from our Cruise on Nautica Bejing to Hong Kong. The food in the 2 restaurants on top where fantsatic.We reserved 4 nights before we left and had an additional 4 nights when we wanted to go on other nights.

We booked the Feb 21 Australia to New Zeland for next year.They do not stop in Geeland but dock 2 nights in Melbourn.

Acrusa,

What a bummer! I have a friend in Melbourne and while we spent the day with them back in January 2008, an overnight would have been better!

I'm not complaining though, it was a great cruise.

Mura

Archived