I know about pick pockets but.....

cruisemontreal

So I've read a great deal about being very careful with our money and id ect. My husband and I will be taking a Med cruise this coming May and plan to have money belts as well as clothing with front pockets/zippers where possible for smal charge and such but my question is:

What about everything else????

What type of bag would you suggest for carrying a light jacket, water, snacks, maps, poncho, or purchases along the way?

My worry is a backpack will make us a target....any and all suggestions are welcome!

Many thanks :)

I use a shopping/tote bag as well. It doesn't hurt to have some grocery items showing. In my purse I only have comfort items such as tissues and maybe some travel info. If you don't have a purse, the pickpockets will know you have your valuables elsewhere.

My travel companions and I share around our valuables and money. You don't want to put all your eggs in one basket.

We traveled with a couple where the husband was very dominant and insisted on carrying all the money, passports and credit cards. His wife didn't even have coins to use a toilet. Bad idea!

We got hit by pickpockets in our hotel lobby in Barcelona. It was the one place where we felt safe. Wrong thinking! Don't let your guard down. The pickpockets were dressed like us! We didn't loose much but our self confidence.

I make this plea every time the pickpocket subject comes up...

Please remember that there are pickpockets in every city - even the one you live in.

A little common sense goes a long way.

Traveling while in the grips of paranoia is simply not any fun.

-Dito

Campaign For Cruise Rationality

I also use a shopping bag to carry extra sweater/map etc.

I do NOT carry around all the things you mentioned!

I don't bring snacks or water with me unless I am on a hike somewhere outside a city.I don't bring a poncho or rain gear unless it is raining and then I wear it.

I don't bring my credit card unless I know I will use it for a restaurant or shopping. I don't bring my ATM card unless I am withdrawing euros. I bring some cash and use a neck wallet under clothing.

DH and I both use back packs & we both have those silk pouches that go around your neck with the uncuttable cord. ( the silk doesn't get sweaty against your skin.) We each have some money, a debit card, & a credit card in our pouch.

My backpack is leather, so pretty impossible to cut, & there's hidden compartments inside, but here's a great trick for you: My water bottle, hat, jacket, camera, umbrella hygiene wipes (restrooms often don't have toilet paper) are all in DH's back pack, when I need something, I can get it out without him having to take it off, & vice versa. We also tie a ribbon on the two zipper heads to make it a bit more difficult to open.

If we are on a train or bus that ribbon is double knotted, & the back pack is worn on front till we get off, If we're going to sit down & eat at a cafe, I put the backpack on the ground & a chair leg through the strap, once I sit down, no one can grab it as long as I'm sitting on that chair.

Just watch each others backs, never take anything that someone hands you, if you get into a real crowded area hold onto the straps of your pack, & put anything valuable in your money-belt or neck pouch. (oh & if you need to read a map, or get something out of your pouch, duck inside a store, it's much safer that way.

Best not to take a bag at all. There is an item of clothing called a SCOTTEVEST that you can get at Magellan's among other places that works for all this stuff - it comes in both men's and women's as either a vest or a jacket. IMO, you should not take a map out unless you are seated in a restaurant otherwise you are alerting everyone around you that you are a tourist and you don't know where you are going. Handle camera's discretely. I don't know why you would bring water and snacks with you where there are tons of places to stop and get almost anything you could want unless you are planning on hiking.

What type of bag would you suggest for carrying a light jacket, water, snacks, maps, poncho, or purchases along the way?

My worry is a backpack will make us a target....any and all suggestions are welcome!

Many thanks :)

We use a rucksack (which is presumably a backpack). If they target the rucksack, there's nothing in there that matters if you lose it. And I can't believe the odds of them going for the back pockets of rucksack carriers as opposed to other-bag carriers is noticeably different.

Don't carry your passport or driving licence (you can take a photocopy if you must), don't carry all your money, and stop worrying. It's handbags that are the soft target.

I have been using this Baggallini tote for more years than I care to say.

http://www.ebags.com/product/baggallini/expandable-tote-crinkle-nylon/47388?productid=510422

It's big enough to carry a bottle of wine (very handy in Europe ;)), has lots of pockets and zips, and is not feminine looking so my husband doesn't mind taking turns carrying it. Guidebooks, camera, maps...it all fits into this tote.

We've been traveling to Europe for many years and we've never been pickpocketed and it's not because we stay only on "safe" tourist routes. There have been lots of times when we've been exploring and ended up in dodgy parts of cities where there's not a tourist to be seen. Late at night, too.

I think one of the reasons we've never been targeted is that we don't go around looking anxious or uncertain, even in places that are new to us. Thieves target people who look like easy marks, either because they're distracted or disorganized. This is just my opinion, of course, but I really feel that having a "I'm in charge" confident look about you keeps loose fingers away.

Without wishing to add to the paranoia it's not unknown for pickpockets to use razor blades to slice open bags so holding onto straps, etc, isn't always a guarantee you won't be targetted. I completely agree that having a 'confident' demeanour is a good deterrant.

The trick is to take as little as possible with you and keep any cash and maybe a credit card in a concealed neck pouch or money belt under your clothes. I carry a zippered shopping tote bag but there's nothing valuable in there. If a pickpocket really wants a local guidebook or bottle of water or packet of tissues then more fool them. I NEVER take my passport ashore - only a photocopy of the ID page and despite all kinds of dire warnings from the cruise staff I have never been asked to produce it. The original document stays in my cabin safe.

I think most vulnerability is from crowds. Always be aware when people push in close. The gypsy pickpockets will approach with a newspaper covering their hand which is doing the job. With totes, or handbags, just be sure you have a grip on them and wear them across your body, not just off a shoulder. Most important of all, just try to not look like a tourist. Conspicuous cameras, bags, etc. are a giveaway. Try to blend in with the natives.

A company called Travelsmith sold backpacks and purses with hard-to-cut wire in the straps. Don't know if they're still in business, but I still have some light-weight and wrinkle-free travel clothing from several years ago. IMO, money belts are the way to go. And....I'm one of those who NEVER takes my Passport ashore! It's in my cabin safe. However, I always take the daily newsletter with Port info. as well as my PP copy.

All the above adive is good - especially that advising people to be aware, that pickpockets are everywhere, and be especially aware in crowd situations.

Also, be advised common targets and methods of theft in cities your are visting. In much of the mediterranean thiefs using scooter or motorcycles is common. With the narrow streets and sidewalks they zip right by you while trying to snatch your purse/bag etc, not caring if it rips, you fall etc. This is especially prevalent in Naples, where the law enforcement, well..., leaves something to be desired. Locals adivse tourists in Naples to remove all jewelry so as no to be targeted. Not uncommon advice, but this includes wedding bands and other other often not so flashy stuff which we sometimes don't think about.

Also, one of the best pieces of advice - try not to look lilke a tourist. shorts w/t-shirts, jeans with sneakers, ball caps, backpacks, fannypacks, and maps are signals to would be theives that your not from around there, probably carrying cash/valuables somewhere, and, because you're busy looking around at sites or trying to find your way, you are just not as aware and therefore an easier target.

I live by the "ugly purse" rule. I travel with my ugliest and least fashionable purse. If you're a pickpocket, who are you going to target - the woman with the pricey name-brand handbag, or me, carrying the purse that looks like I got it at a garage sale for 50 cents? I don't know if this rule really works for everyone, but I can tell you that nobody seems to want to take my ugly purse!

I live by the "ugly purse" rule. I travel with my ugliest and least fashionable purse. If you're a pickpocket, who are you going to target - the woman with the pricey name-brand handbag, or me, carrying the purse that looks like I got it at a garage sale for 50 cents? I don't know if this rule really works for everyone, but I can tell you that nobody seems to want to take my ugly purse!

:D:D:D LOL funny but probably very true!!!! I think a tote of somesort with a zipper will be our best bet (this way hubby won't mind carrying it as well)! Money belt and clothing with zippers for small bills and coins will surely be the way we go for important stuff (passport in cabin, photocopies on us) but for all the misc items a tote seems to be the way to go! Thanks to everyone again!

Happy Cruisin ;)

I use a cross body purse and I don't try to have one large enough for jackets. I find that if you have a large bag you fill it and then it's a hassle to carry. If I need a jacket, I'll wear it and if I need to take it off I'll just carry it or tie it around my waist.

A cross body bag that is small with a zipper works best for me. Too hard for a thief to get their hand in there, plus I generally hold onto the top of the bag with one hand. I've always felt as though backpacks are more of a target, especially if you wear it on your back.

Pacsafe makes bags that have plenty of safety features, if I were to buy one I'd get the smallest purse, not the day bag.

Wow....talk about paranoia! I wear a backpack and I wear it on my back. If someone wants to slice the bottom they will get a light jacket and possibly an umbrella. Anything I purchase goes into zippered compartments on the inside.

Not trying to sound nasty but the advice "don't look like a tourist" is quite simply near impossible to do. It isn't a backback or a purse that makes you a target. A pickpocket reads your body actions-your eyes, do you look nervous, do you have something you are really hanging unto, do you look confident and comfortable yet aware of your surroundings. In other words do you carry yourself in a manner that would make you appear to be an easy or worthwhile mark.

It is like the answers I read when people ask will my laptop be safe in my cabin. So many respond that they place their laptop in a locked suitcase under the bed. First of all the "difficulty" of simply taking the entire suitcase definitely makes it safe:D. Plus they have obviously never seen the videos showing how easy it is to open and reclose a locked suitcase with nothing more than the tip of a pen.

The best defense....use common sense, appear confident and relaxed, and enjoy! JMHO

If carrying a tote or back pack etc, put a local newspaper in one of the outside pockets. Be sure the front page of the paper shows. It's great for 'looking local". I totally agree about looking secure and confident and being aware of your surroundings. If you are going to constantly be nervous and jittery about your 'things', you are not going to enjoy your visit and will be a more likely target.

COMMON SENSE is your best defense.... Don't carry more than you need. Know what is going on around you. Walk with a body language of confidence because you should be confident if you have made common sense choices.

Enjoy.... that is what it's all about.

We've spent well more than 200+ days in Europe and DH's pocket was picked once. We were in a luxurious candy shop in Madrid, it was crowded, he felt himself 'bumped' and when he checked his pocket folded money was gone. Because of the care and pre-planning we had done, he lost only about $25 dollars. The rest of our cash was protected.... what was in his pocket was for small purchases such as a piece of chocolate. :) That's not to say he wasn't peaved but relieved as well.

Archived