c-pap question

C-pap machine users: Do you usually check your c-pap machine through with the porters or hand carry it aboard?

I hate to carry my machine and humidifier around for several hours till my cabin is ready but also am a little fearful of an expensive piece of medical equipment being lost or damaged (and probably not enough coverage from RC to replace it). What would you advise? Also has the extention cord provided by the ship been adequate or would you advise bringing my own?

Thanks.

C-pap machine users: Do you usually check your c-pap machine through with the porters or hand carry it aboard?

I hate to carry my machine and humidifier around for several hours till my cabin is ready but also am a little fearful of an expensive piece of medical equipment being lost or damaged (and probably not enough coverage from RC to replace it). What would you advise? Also has the extention cord provided by the ship been adequate or would you advise bringing my own?

Thanks.

I keep mine with me! It's too precious to be knocked around and broken, or even lost! :eek:

With Princess you can go straight to your stateroom and drop off your carry-on. With Carnival like RCI they wouldn't allow us to go to our room and had to have lunch and wait until 2pm or so before the room was ready. It is a hassle to carry it around but I'd rather be safe than sorry!

Also if they loose your CPAP, I doubt that they will offer to pay to replace it. I can't imagine going without a whole cruise without my CPAP!

I keep mine with me! It's too precious to be knocked around and broken, or even lost! :eek:

With Princess you can go straight to your stateroom and drop off your carry-on. With Carnival like RCI they wouldn't allow us to go to our room and had to have lunch and wait until 2pm or so before the room was ready. It is a hassle to carry it around but I'd rather be safe than sorry!

Also I recommend bringing your own power bar, it should be at least a 6 foot cord. Cruise ships have limited number of outlets in the room.

Also, sometimes the nightstands have a lamp bolted to it so there is often limited room to place the unit. On carnival, I pulled a chair over next to the bed to put the CPAP on. On Princess, the writing desk and the nightstand are connected so I had room.

I also ask for a jug of distilled water for my humidifier too. Princess didn't charge me for the gallon they provided me, I assume because it is a medical device.

I've cruised twice with a cpap, and have left it with the porters each time with no problems. Mine has always been in its own case and packed either in a suitcase or a duffle bag. I think they're a lot more resilient than one would think, and my case has some structure to it that's pretty protective as well.

The extension cord the ship provides you works fine.

My husband travels with a c-pap. He always hand carries it. Ask yourself what you would do if the c-pap was lost or damaged. I would rather deal with the small inconvenience of carrying it around for a few hours until our cabin is ready than deal with the much larger inconvenience of a lost c-pap or damaged parts.

keep it with you! It could be damaged if you check it. Also, Royal Caribbean will supply you with an extension cord & a gallon of distilled water. You can fill out the form online (link below) or ask your cabin steward when you arrive.

RCCL special needs request form:

https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/guestSpecialNeeds.do

I carry mine on, when we have cruised I put it in a small wheeled carry on with my swim suit and change of clothes. Also, when you get into your room, ask your room steward for an extension cord right away, they will get you one!

My husband uses a CPAP and gives it to the porter when we board.

Have always received it with no problem. Asks the room steward for

an extension cord and has no problem with getting that also and finding

a plug in. :D

• 2 months later...
keep it with you! It could be damaged if you check it. Also, Royal Caribbean will supply you with an extension cord & a gallon of distilled water. You can fill out the form online (link below) or ask your cabin steward when you arrive.

RCCL special needs request form:

https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/guestSpecialNeeds.do

Thanks for the info. My husband is new with the CPAP thing and I wouldn't have thought about it. Used your link and have already received a reply that the distilled water and extension cord will be in the room when we arrive.

I plan on carrying mine (on CCL, but no difference to me who the porters work for). Depending on how full my roller-bag gets, I might try to put the CPAP inside there so I don't have it slung over my shoulder until the room is ready.

I'd also recommend the 6-10 foot power cord, as well as a Belkin Mini Surge Protector (about $11 from Amazon). That particular surge protector has 2 usb ports for charging cell phones and iPods, plus 3 power outlets.

There are now some mouth guards that can keep the jaw in a position to eliminate or reduce apnea. They used to be very very very expensive and now they are only very very expensive. But if you or your partner have a difficult time with the Cpap it is an option to explore.

I never let mine out of DH or my sight. It would be a very miserable cruise if I couldn't sleep at night :(

I do usually put a laguage tag on it just in case it gets out of my sight that hopefully someone would return it to me.

Yes an extenstion cord or power strip is a must. I forgot mine one cruise and ended up sleeping oppsite of my hubby! He wouldn't turn around cause he couldn't see the tv lol! Let just say he got a few lets call them love taps in the face opps!

Also I recommend bringing your own power bar, it should be at least a 6 foot cord. Cruise ships have limited number of outlets in the room. .

Totally unnecessary with RCI, If you notify their special needs group, they provide an extension cord that reaches right to the bed.

My last 2 cruises, RC had promised "distilled water and extension cord will be in the room when we arrive". BUT did not deliver on promise. Several phone calls and a talk with our wonderful cabin attendant resulted in everything in place by bed time.

We found out that one of those times the stuff had been delivered, just to the wrong cabin.

There are now some mouth guards that can keep the jaw in a position to eliminate or reduce apnea. They used to be very very very expensive and now they are only very very expensive. But if you or your partner have a difficult time with the Cpap it is an option to explore.

I went to a Dentist and was fitted with a mouthpiece called Silent Nite. getting the best sleep I've had for the last several months. Total cost was under 500.00. Need to make sure you can sleep with a mouthpiece. Tried a sports mouthpiece and as long as it didn't fall out worked pretty good.

My DH has just gotten a CPAP machine and I now am considering bringing it with us, especially since we are on ship for 2 weeks. So we can easily carry it on to the ship, but what do you do at the airport? Do you inclue in your carry on bag and take through security? Have you had any problems with TSA?

gschwartz001, you carry it like a carry on and pass it through the detector. My DH and I each have one and we have taken it with us to even Canada and no problems at the airport. If you are going for 2 weeks definitely take with you, that is too long to not have a good night sleep. The only time I do not travel with it if I am going away for a day and then I usually leave at home.

If you are going on the Allure they now have a plug right under the bed. So much more convenient.

Everytime I cruise with RCCL I send the form mentioned on an earlier post and either we have the water and cords when we get to the room or they come a bit later. If not ask the Room Steward and they pretty much know now about the machines and water and cords.

My DH has just gotten a CPAP machine and I now am considering bringing it with us, especially since we are on ship for 2 weeks. So we can easily carry it on to the ship, but what do you do at the airport? Do you inclue in your carry on bag and take through security? Have you had any problems with TSA?

The airlines are not allowed to count medical devices as a carry on so you can still have your allowed carry on and a CPAP machine. When I took mine I included a letter from my doctor explaining what it was, but by now most TSA agents are very familiar with them.

The airlines are not allowed to count medical devices as a carry on so you can still have your allowed carry on and a CPAP machine. When I took mine I included a letter from my doctor explaining what it was, but by now most TSA agents are very familiar with them.

This is true. The TSA doesn't even bat an eye anymore. It needs to be in its own gray bin at security and sometimes they will ask to swab it for explosives.

My "problem" is with airline personnel. Now that nobody is checking bags because of fees, flight attendants have eagle eyes to make sure people aren't bringing too many carry-ons with them. CPAP does NOT count as a carry on, so when I walk on with a roller bag, backpack and CPAP they always say something. By itself this isn't a big deal except they are never discreet because their tactic is to embarrass someone who has too many bags. Now I have to stand there and defend myself, in doing so announcing to the cabin I have a medical condition even though it isn't anyone's business. They also have tried to tell me it "has to" go under my seat, which is where I put my backpack. Since it's exempt from the rules, and because I don't want the device I breathe through on the floor where peoples feet goes and it probably isn't vacuumed often, I refuse and put it with my roller bag. I don't take up extra space, as you know they are small bags, but it just aggravates me that even though the FAA has made the federal policy clear, the airlines mess with me.

Archived