Wine and Liquor Cards: Worth It?

Choinski

Going on my first cruise in 7 weeks! (Nieu Amsterdam, 12 Day Eastern Mediterranean). The Husband and I are moderate drinkers - I would guess 'on vacation' = 2-3 glasses of wine and a 1-2 cocktails per day per person. Looking at the wine & liquor cards and have questions.

1. Are wine cards seperate from liquor cards? (the website just says 'beverage cards')

2. Delivery savings 'at sea' to avoid taxes - does that apply in an Italian Port?

3. When I researched this last year I recall it was purchasing servings (ie 10 glasses) per card. It looks like now you're just purchasing credit. Am I wrong?

4. Is it ultimately worth it? If you are buying credit at "$100 for the price of $90", yet they charge a 15% gratuity, is that savings just eaten up?

5. Pre-purchasing bottles of wine / spirits seem to be twice what I'd pay at the local store (although I don't know what prices in Italy would be for mid-range scotch)

I'm totally confused.

I have no personal experience with the new cards but here is what i believe from reading previous threads:

beverage cards must be for soda OR alcohol--don't cross the beams!!

you can't use alcohol cards for happy hour

no more wine or cocktail cards, now it is just one card for alcoholic and one for soda. Soda is a great deal--$25 for $50 of soda.

Personally, i don't think the 10% savings, if you meet certain spending limits for each card ($5 discount if you spend $45 for a $50 card; $10 if you spend $90 for $100 card or some equally annoying formula), is worth it. We will just charge the limited amount of beer and wine we get to our cabin and they can keep the $5.

I am sure of 2 things:

1) lots of people will give you better answers

2) lots of people will tell me I am wrong for not using the 'new improved' beverage cards. I think the new cards stink but thats just me...

ML

1. The general beverage card covers all drinks, alcoholic or not.

2. I don't think so. It's safest to say "at sea" and the card is usually delivered to your stateroom anyway.

3. Yes, now it just works like a Gift Card.

4. No. Let's say all your purchases were a glass of wine at $4.35, plus the 15% service charge, making them exactly $5 each. Without the beverage card 20 drinks will cost $100, but with the card you only pay $90.

5. You shouldn't compare ship prices to retail store prices. You wouldn't expect to pay retail store prices in a land-based restaurant, would you?

the wine cards are gone

you will not be charged a tax in italy -- it is primarily florida that charges a tax

we found the beverage cards very handy -- less slips of paper to keep track of -- easier to check shipboard account

yes they take off the price of your drink as well as the 15% gratuity

Although you can use the Beverage Card for soda as well as any wine/liquor/specialty coffee, if you do that you're only getting a 10% discount on them instead of 50% when using a soda card.

The other advantage of the beverage card is that what you don't use, can be applied back to your account as an on board credit. With the old wine and drink cards, if you didn't use them, you loosed them.

So there is now no risk. 10% savings is 10%. I also like the fact that I don't have to worry about saving a bunch of slips to double check to my on board account. :)

We just got back from the NADM last Sunday we had purchased one Soda card (well worth it) and we had 4 $50.00 Beverage Cards. They worked perfect for cofees at the Explorations Cafe and for purchasing bottles of wine and sake ;) and many drinks thru the week. I like the new way they are doing this.

DH loved the new soda card and he would go purchase several cans of soda's to keep in the small fridge in the cabin.

If you do not use up your card you are refunded money at the end of the cruise so it is definitely a no brainer to purchase them :)

The other advantage of the beverage card is that what you don't use, can be applied back to your account as an on board credit.

So there is now no risk. 10% savings is 10%.

But if you don't use at least the purchase price you've gotten no discount at all, and you might as well have put them on your room card.

But if you don't use at least the purchase price you've gotten no discount at all, and you might as well have put them on your room card.

True, you have to use the whole thing to get the discounts - but you still avoid the nuisance of all of those little slips (yes I'm one of those silly people who keeps track);)

I noticed that when you used a room card you got a 'good" pour from the bar. However, when using the cards you got less than a measure.

I think thats because bar staff dont get the 15% on when someone uses a booze card... Dont know for sure but over 2 weeks it was very obvious to my wife and I.. Also lots of little restrictions on them.

As far as sodas...far cheaper to buy your own on the shore and bring them aboard. As far as liquor far better to buy it by the bottle.

I found Hollands liquor prices a very good deal in europe... and a huge savings. and not that different from much of the US. Line Absolute vodka, about 25 a ltr here and $29 on the ship.... Remember ship bottles are a Ltr not a 5th

- but you still avoid the nuisance of all of those little slips (yes I'm one of those silly people who keeps track)
John enters all of our day's purchases into a spreadsheet on his netbook each night. :)

I noticed that when you used a room card you got a 'good" pour from the bar. However, when using the cards you got less than a measure.

I think thats because bar staff dont get the 15% on when someone uses a booze card... Dont know for sure but over 2 weeks it was very obvious to my wife and I.. Also lots of little restrictions on them.

As far as sodas...far cheaper to buy your own on the shore and bring them aboard. As far as liquor far better to buy it by the bottle.

I found Hollands liquor prices a very good deal in europe... and a huge savings. and not that different from much of the US. Line Absolute vodka, about 25 a ltr here and $29 on the ship.... Remember ship bottles are a Ltr not a 5th

I never paid for the drink until it was made, didn't do this on purpose, just the way I normally do it. I was never asked for my card until they delivered the drink.

On the Niew Amaterdam was they wanted to know-- up front if you were using a room or other card. They wanted it pre-order, So it was for the 14 days. and if you reordered dulitn the day they knew you were a carder.... Mostly on deck rather than the bars though. I also observed that they would when you asked for bar stock ..they would ask you if brand X was Ok... and if you said yes you would get billed for a call drink several dollars more. Be aware ot that little trick

On the Niew Amaterdam was they wanted to know-- up front if you were using a room or other card. They wanted it pre-order,
During my 12 days on the N.A. I don't recall ever being asked that, anywhere.

Our last cruise we had cocktail and wine cards which I think equate to the same thing and we were never asked that either. anytime.

From what I have read and what DBA said, John is on the money, they get their gratuity:) That's what I have understood and we had good service when we used our cards :):)

I agree, not once were we asked up front if we had a drink card and we did not give them the drink card till the drink was brought to us. And I will say I had plenty of drinks that were definitely a strong pour.

And yes the bar staff are still getting their 15% on each drink it makes absolutely no difference.

We ordered a 100$ Beverage card for our 7 day cruise last month.We had a bottle of Vodka sent to room and brought a bottle of Champagne,and 2 bottles of wine.The Beverage card lasted throughout the cruise with the exception of a few dollars that came up short.Our entire bill was less then 200 for 2 which we paid off in cash.Yes I feel it was very worth it.One Night at dinner an Officer joined us and purchased wine for the table.Very nice gesture. By the way I brought back one bottle of wine.

Have a great cruise and Enjoy!

on our nieuw amsterdam 14 day cruise -- we stopped at the ocean bar when we got on the ship -- like to see who the bar tenders are -- didn't recognize anyone from previous ships -- we really never do -- ordered drinks -- watched as the bar tender didn't even fill the shot glass to the white line -- he saw that we had out the ID card

even after we bought the beverage cards -- it didn't make any difference weather we used the beverage card or the room card -- still got the same size drink

True, you have to use the whole thing to get the discounts
No, if you drink at least 12 sodas you've saved some money. To get the full 10% savings you'd have to use up the card.

Are you allowed to bring your own wine on [as well as sodas] to enjoy in your room or have served to you in the dining room with the payment of a corkerage fee?
You can bring on as much as you like of any beverages except beer and hard liquor. Any bottles of wine you bring to the MDR or other public area will be subject to an $18 corkage fee, but there is no fee applied to any consumed in your room.

Can you please let me what restrictions are in place for using beverage cards. Thanks

welcome to cruise critic

you can use the non-alcoholic beverage cards to buy coffees in the explotations cafe

the regular beverage cards you can use in any bar/lounge and the dining room to buy alcoholic drinks and wine -- now on some ships they don't allow you to use the card during happy hour -- other ships you can -- so you have to ask your server

the beverage cards can not be used on half moon cay

Archived