Best photo op while going through Panama Canal

Tikibird

I understand the ship photographers go ashore to take photos of pax while on the ship going through the canal. Where is the best place to pose for this photo so you have some scene from the canal in the background (as opposed to a curtain or ship wall or some other indistinct background)?

Also, are we supposed to make a sign or something?

I understand the ship photographers go ashore to take photos of pax while on the ship going through the canal. Where is the best place to pose for this photo so you have some scene from the canal in the background (as opposed to a curtain or ship wall or some other indistinct background)?

They're on ground level, so you'll have the ship in the background.

The best place to be would probably on your balcony if you have one. The Promenade deck would be second, since you'd be closer to them, and third would be the forward or aft viewing balconies. I've heard people make signs, but if you just wave, they'll see you!

They may have photographers roaming the ship, but other than that, have someone take your picture!

1996191307_b626305ff5_z.jpgPanama Canal2 166 by RickEk, on Flickr

When we went through the Panama Canal on the Dawn Princess we were right up the front, having gone through the 'secret doors' on Deck 10. There was only one row of passengers there lined up against the rail, compared with about 5 to 6 deep on the upper observation decks.

We have a great photo taken by the ship's photographer from the shore showing how the ship narrowly fits in the locks and you can even pick us out onboard because I was wearing a bright red T Shirt. So wear something bright or make a sign, look out for the photographers and remember where you were standing if they are taking photographs.

Our photo is a very memorable shot of our transit of the Canal.

My husband hangs out on another message board for ship fanatics (not cruise-specific) and he knew a lot of his friends would be watching the web cams when we went through the canal - so he tied one of his neon orange t-shirts to our balcony (with a plastic cable tie so it wouldn't blow away!)

When we got home from that cruise, a few of his friends had sent the screencap from the webcam shots to us - and sure enough you could see our balcony:D

(sorry, I don't remember the photog shots - I remember seeing the photographers walking along the locks but don't remember posing specifically for them - we don't usually, so that's probably why:o)

Not to highjack the thread but have to share a great shot we took from our balcony as we pass a US Nuclear submarine headed for the locks.

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i398/M888rgaret/Panama032-1.jpg

Too late to edit with additional photo here attached:

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i398/M888rgaret/Panama033.jpg

Great photos!! All we've seen are container ships the last time and a HAL ship the time before that.

When we went though on the Coral Feb23-Mar.5th they had all kinds of things on the ship to make your own posters,I believe it was the day before we went though the canal.Alot of people where on their balconys if you had one on the port side an had a flag of where they are from.They are pretty fast on getting alot of pictures as you go though.I think I seen them at 2 different locks.You are going to love the canal.

We went through in the fall of 2009. I made a sign and we donned Santa hats. While going through one of the locks, we went to the promenade deck. In addition to the photographers on shore, one was walking the promenade deck. We had a photo taken from shore and one from the ship with the canal in the background. They made wonderful Christmas card photos. We saw many photographers throughout the day all over the ship.

One of the on board activities is a sign making class. You exhibit your sign when you transit the canal. The ship's photographers were everywhere taking pictures; on board, off the ship along side, in front on the lock doors, etc. Wow. Great pics. We found the Baja deck 11 had a door out onto the bow of the ship, and stood there with just a few others. Great views.

Not to highjack the thread but have to share a great shot we took from our balcony as we pass a US Nuclear submarine headed for the locks.

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i398/M888rgaret/Panama032-1.jpg

Too late to edit with additional photo here attached:

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i398/M888rgaret/Panama033.jpg

Awesome photos!! That must have been so cool to see. Thanks for sharing the photos. I hope you don't mind but I sent the link to an old friend who is actually in command of one of our nuclear subs. I'm sure he'll get a kick out of them.

On our cruise this past January on the Island we were out on the front of the ship on the Aloha Deck and one the photographers came out there and took pics of people. They had a couple of different collage type pics you could chose from. We bought one of them. We also were out on our balcony later and they took pics from the canal of us there. I liked the ones from the fron of the ship because you could see the canal in the background

62046a8e.jpg

Awesome photos!! That must have been so cool to see. Thanks for sharing the photos. I hope you don't mind but I sent the link to an old friend who is actually in command of one of our nuclear subs. I'm sure he'll get a kick out of them.

Glad you are sending them on. An interesting point though. While our passengers raised cameras to photograph the sub and it's crew, so they photographed our ship. But as much as we all waved to them as we passed, no crew member on the sub returned a wave. We thought this strange and wondered if this was standard procedure.

Glad you are sending them on. An interesting point though. While our passengers raised cameras to photograph the sub and it's crew, so they photographed our ship. But as much as we all waved to them as we passed, no crew member on the sub returned a wave. We thought this strange and wondered if this was standard procedure.

Hmm, I'm not sure. I'll ask him. Maybe someone else onboard CC here knows; no doubt there's a Navy person or two.

My favorite place to stay and take pictures is on one of the aft decks. You can see the locks in action and see any ships coming in behind you. It's real neat and not too many people are back there. Most are at the front and it's hard to get a good place at the rail unless you get up there real early. We were on the Coral Princess.

DSC00478.jpg.9f68cde4eeb1c2fae73fb45e1ad7d962.jpg

DSC00476.jpg.1d61f6890ec0c6a66e4b627932fe899c.jpg

On our cruise this past January on the Island we were out on the front of the ship on the Aloha Deck and one the photographers came out there and took pics of people. They had a couple of different collage type pics you could chose from. We bought one of them. We also were out on our balcony later and they took pics from the canal of us there. I liked the ones from the fron of the ship because you could see the canal in the background

62046a8e.jpg

The collage style is very nice and unique, it's something you can ONLY get on a Princess canal cruise and that is exactly what I would be looking for. Do you happen to recall how much the collage was? Is it an 8x10 size?

We will have our own camera of course and I am sure everyone will be taking pictures of each other with their own cameras too. We don't have a balcony but our cabin will be just steps away from the "secret" Baja deck area.

On our Panama Canal cruise I got a different picture. I walk up to the Photographer counter and the guy says "wait, I have a picture just for you". Okay.... and he pulls a picture out that he took of my 20 something daughter and nephew. They were mooning the canal from our balcony. :rolleyes: Ahh, the way kids make you proud. My nephew didn't surprise me but my DD doing it too did. She said she got caught up in the moment.

Of the six cruises through the Panama, the b2b to Equator with the Royal Princess was most memorable (well, at least equal to the sight of the submarine that is) for we were invited by friends to view the canal from their aft suite. What a wonderful way to view the canal and its operations.

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i398/M888rgaret/PICT0073.jpg

The collage style is very nice and unique, it's something you can ONLY get on a Princess canal cruise and that is exactly what I would be looking for. Do you happen to recall how much the collage was? Is it an 8x10 size?

We will have our own camera of course and I am sure everyone will be taking pictures of each other with their own cameras too. We don't have a balcony but our cabin will be just steps away from the "secret" Baja deck area.

The pictures are 8 x10 and it was $20.00. We always wait to purchase pics since they are costly and I like to check out the different templates they have. I've learned by experience that you don't have to settle for the template they have printed your picture on. We liked our embarkation picture on our Panama Canal cruise but the collage template shown here was our 2nd Formal Night picture. I just asked them to print our embarkation picture on this template. I've done this on several cruises and the photo staff is happy to oblige. Just had to wait a day so don't try doing this too late in the cruise!

Archived