Specialty Dining reservations

jane02

There are sample menues on the Oceania web site.

Go in under "explore ships", and then choose "dining".

When you open the page for either Jacques or Red Ginger, you may view wine lists and menues.

Thanks Jim for the information about where to find the menus. If the food is half as good as the menus sound, we'll be very happy; it will be hard to choose when there are so many choices!

To put it more simply; although you will be seated at a private table unless you opt to share, every seat that YOU reseve by making a Specialty Restaurant reservation, needs to correspond to a passenger who has a reservation pending.

070204.jpg

First a big Thank you to JimandStan for helping us figure out how to get a table together in the specialty restaurants when one couple could book 60 days out and one couple could book 45 days out. We were successful with one funny problem. At Red Ginger we had to book two tables for two as we could not book a table for four. We all will understand if we can't eat next to each other, but it appears on the site plan above that there are tables for two along the wall. As someone who has been in the restaurant, do you think it is possible to contact the restaurant early in the day and ask that our tables be next to each other??

Kathy

At Red Ginger we had to book two tables for two as we could not book a table for four.

Kathy

I am not sure why you could not book a table for 4 but when you board go to the Maitre'd station & ask for them to seat you all together or call Oceania and ask them to link the 2 dinner reservations so you are seated together

It should not be a problem

Lyn

Unlikely you'll be able to figure those out in advance. We typically take a look at the menu for the MDR in the morning/afternoon and see if anything suits. If not we held for Tapas on the Terrace - often many of the same menu items but with flexibility if you are willing to be a bit flexible with how things are put together. They are most accommodating.

Though I know food is generally subjective - we will be on the ship 14 days -- are there any "bad" menus in the MDR i.e. good nights to make reservations?

I am not sure why you could not book a table for 4 but when you board go to the Maitre'd station & ask for them to seat you all together or call Oceania and ask them to link the 2 dinner reservations so you are seated together

It should not be a problem

Lyn

Thanks Lyn, I did call Oceania, but only asked for a table for four, not to link the two reservations. I think I will have better luck at the Maitre'd station.

Yes, if you are entitled to one reservation, that is all you can make in advance. "Advance" is the critical word as has been mentioned. We were on a 14-day Scandinavian cruise, ship was full, and we ate in Polo or Toscana seven of the 14 nights. We never had a problem getting in any night that we wanted as long as we were a bit flexible.

Did you make the 'extra' seating requests in Terrace Cafe in the morning or did you show up early at the restaurant. or both?

I am curious what worked for you. I have only asked for an extra seating for that night in Terrace Cafe two times - one time on each of two sailings and both times was told nothing was available. I admit I felt a little 'hat in hand' and have never tried again. Not that I miss not getting an extra reservation - I enjoy the GDR and its changing menu or dining Al Fresco at Tapas (though I'd happily be back in Jacques most anytime)

Thanks Lyn' date=' I did call Oceania, but only asked for a table for four, [/quote']

That sounds crazy that you could not book a table for 4 but you can book 2 tables for 2. :eek:

I am sure onboard they will do their best to accommodate you ...I would go or call the first day so it will be straighten out

Enjoy

Lyn

First a big Thank you to JimandStan for helping us figure out how to get a table together in the specialty restaurants when one couple could book 60 days out and one couple could book 45 days out. We were successful with one funny problem. At Red Ginger we had to book two tables for two as we could not book a table for four. We all will understand if we can't eat next to each other' date=' but it appears on the site plan above that there are tables for two along the wall. As someone who has been in the restaurant, do you think it is possible to contact the restaurant early in the day and ask that our tables be next to each other??

Kathy[/quote']

Kathy,

Those series of "tables for two" along the port side of Red Ginger are part of a long, very comfortable banquette that runs virtually the entire length of the restaurant. I'm sure that the Maitre'd would be happy to seat both of your parties together, if you give them any kind of advanced notice at all. Enjoy your cruise!

Marina-Red-Ginger-0348.JPG

Kathy,

Those series of "tables for two" along the port side of Red Ginger are part of a long, very comfortable banquette that runs virtually the entire length of the restaurant. I'm sure that the Maitre'd would be happy to seat both of your parties together, if you give them any kind of advanced notice at all. Enjoy your cruise!

Marina-Red-Ginger-0348.JPG

Thank you again, JimandStan, this is the first picture of the banquet area that I have seen. It was as I thought and I hope my little party of four is able to enjoy this restaurant together.

If you really want to be the darling of the day at your dinner party, suggest the Sea Bass or the Lobster Pad Thai........both are in the running for the best meal that I have ever had on any ship ever!

Red Ginger also does a pretty spectacular spin on Calamari which can be followed by the Duck & Watermelon Salad as an entrée if you are trying to stay on the light side.

Good Gosh, I need to get back to Red Ginger!

If you really want to be the darling of the day at your dinner party, suggest the Sea Bass or the Lobster Pad Thai........both are in the running for the best meal that I have ever had on any ship ever!

Red Ginger also does a pretty spectacular spin on Calamari which can be followed by the Duck & Watermelon Salad as an entrée if you are trying to stay on the light side.

I wholeheartedly endorse these dinner suggestions! Tasted all of these (at different times) at Red Ginger. I never would have tried the Duck and Watermelon Salad on my own but had read about it on previous CC posts. I found it to be one of the best taste combinations. I need to get back to Red Ginger, too! Enjoy.

Stop! You're making my mouth water!:p I want to get back to Red Ginger too. The sea bass is probably the best seafood dish I've ever experienced anywhere. It absolutely melts in your mouth!

Oh dear, you have added to the choices for dinner. I had read your earlier posts and was ready for the Duck Watermelon Salad and Lobster Pat Tai, now we have to add the Sea Bass and Calamari. How can you stay on the light side with all the choices in all the restaurants? We start our cruise June 21. I am doing a 21 day cleanse and plan to keep my calorie intake low until we board the Marina. From all you have reported it will be worth it.

Kathy

I wholeheartedly endorse these dinner suggestions! Tasted all of these (at different times) at Red Ginger. I never would have tried the Duck and Watermelon Salad on my own but had read about it on previous CC posts. I found it to be one of the best taste combinations. I need to get back to Red Ginger, too! Enjoy.

Ditto,

I love both, duck and watermelon, but would have never paired them together myself. I had it at least 3 times and it was delicious (although the duck was really crispy only the first time). The other 3 items discussed here (Sea Bas, Calamari & Lobster Pad Thai) were fantastic as well :)

My votes go to all the above mentioned items as well. I loved the duck and watermelon salad so much I had it all three times I ate at Red Ginger. In fact, you can't go wrong with anything there.

I have to say the single most amusing moment of my entire cruise was the first night we ate at Red Ginger and witnessed the wash cloth service. Worth the trip for just that.

Thank you... We are flexible and tend to be late diners on the cruise ships. We rush all the time, so when on vacation we take our time and relax......[/color]

What times is it easier to get reservations? Do people tend to eat earlier or later?

Could someone be kind enough to answer my previous question as to the times it is usually easiest to get dinner reservations? Thanks.

Could someone be kind enough to answer my previous question as to the times it is usually easiest to get dinner reservations? Thanks.

Possibly the most difficult time slot is between 7:30 and 8:30 - it seems that everyone wants to dine at that time.

If there are two in your party, then plan on an early dinner 6:30 to 7:00 - as they try to turn the tables for two over twice every evening.

Parties of four and six would be advised to try for an earlier dining time, as the rest of the world likes to be later!!

Thank you... We are flexible and tend to be late diners on the cruise ships. We rush all the time, so when on vacation we take our time and relax......[/color]

What times is it easier to get reservations? Do people tend to eat earlier or later?

"Easiest" reservations are early and share; most difficult ones are 7:30 to 8:00 and a table for 2.

JME

It also depends on the people on your cruise whether they like to eat early or later

We usually go for 6:30 pm and they are quite busy

And we tend to ask for 8-8:30 ... and we're willing to share. (Unless we have formed up a group of 4-6 on our own.)

In general it's not a problem. But then, we tend only to try once or twice on a cruise.

On more than one occasion we have closed the restaurant ...

MY suggestion is to try to get the time you want for the number of people you want, and see how it works. If you have problems, make adjustments.

And if you want to see the show, by all means try to get an earlier time.

Jim, I solemnly promise to raise a glass to you when I eat my Calamari and Lobster Pad Thai there on June 14! :D

Jim, I solemnly promise to raise a glass to you when I eat my Calamari and Lobster Pad Thai there on June 14! :D

I'm honored, Pamela ((Blush))

I don't know how adventurous Gerry gets with Asian food, but if he asks for a suggestion, tell him this story:

Last February, We came into Red Ginger, with a party of 8, just as the Del Rio's were finishing up. After a little chit chat about what "was good", FDR said he'd had the Tempura Sole and loved it.

Well, we must have been convinced that he knows good food, because as it turned out, every single man at our table wound up ordering the Sole that evening.

The ladies had a good laugh at our expense, but we were happy knowing that we'd sampled "the Chairmans Choice".

By the way, he was right, the Sole was superb. The fish was cooked to perfection, the crunch of the tempura added just the right touch of texture, and I still dream about the dipping sauce.

I'm honored, Pamela ((Blush))

I don't know how adventurous Gerry gets with Asian food...

He is as adventurous as one who does not eat pork, shellfish or fish gets!:)

Of course, the spicier the better; I often watch the sweat drip off his pate when is is imbibing his favorite Szechuan dishes!

Of course, the spicier the better; I often watch the sweat drip off his pate when is is imbibing his favorite Szechuan dishes!

CintiPam,

Tell him not to expect those Szechuan dishes (which I love as well) because Red Ginger is anything but Chinese. I suspect he will find something he'll like.

Have a great cruise!

Archived