They put Alexandria back on our itinerary. woo hoo

mabert

Prinsendam Oct 24-Nov7 2011 Holy Land Explorer

I wrote Mr. Kruse and asked they add a day in Israel instead of substituting Alexandria with Cyprus and another day in Turkey. My reasoning is those ports are not an appropriate substitution.

Today received notification that we have Alexandria back on the itinerary. Don't know if there is a relationship, but I am very very happy.

If they take it off again. I will ask for Israel again.

woo hoo!

We are booked on the earlier Prisendam cruise leaving Rome on Sept 26th and stopping in Alexandria and Port Said. We were changed to Crete and Cyprus and I was happy with that as we already have two days in Israel. But I still see problems as the first stage of the Egyptian elections are just before we arrive, and I have a feeling that whatever the outcome, there will be a lot of unhappy people around.

HAL announced on Tuesday they were reinstating visits to Egypt:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/news/Main.action?tabName=Travel+Advisories

I'm sure it has more to do with the downgraded US State Dept travel warning, and less with any individual comments received; however, it certainly never hurts to express your opinion.

I hope those traveling to Egypt in the second half of the year will have smoother sailing than those in the first half! It is a wonderful destination.

Not going to Alexandria (or Egypt in general) would be a deal-breaker for me on a Holy Lands cruise. I know no port stop is ever guaranteed ... ya' pays your money, ya' takes your chances ... but Egypt would be the primary reason for my taking that cruise.

We've booked cruises twice with Victoria on the itinerary, only to have it removed after booking. That was one major factor in choosing those itineraries. No biggie, though, since it's fairly easy to get to Victoria otherwise. But Egypt would be a different matter.

Not going to Alexandria (or Egypt in general) would be a deal-breaker for me on a Holy Lands cruise. I know no port stop is ever guaranteed ... ya' pays your money, ya' takes your chances ... but Egypt would be the primary reason for my taking that cruise.

We've booked cruises twice with Victoria on the itinerary, only to have it removed after booking. That was one major factor in choosing those itineraries. No biggie, though, since it's fairly easy to get to Victoria otherwise. But Egypt would be a different matter.

Jim, this is exactly how we feel. We booked our first Celebrity cruise only because they (had) an overnight in Alexandria at a good price. Then all the cruiselines dropped Egypt, and Celebrity doubled our time in Israel from 2 days to 4. Disappointing, but understandable.

With HAL reinstating Alexandria stops, you can be sure we'll be watching closely to see what Celebrity does. We have 4+ months before final payment, lots can happen between now and then. It may cost us some $$ to make changes now, but we're leaving that option open!

Archived