Are there any laundromats on Celebrity Ships?

caddycar

We have cruised with Princess the last couple of years and are now booked on a Celebrity cruise this month. I have heard that Celebrity does not allow you to do your own laundry. This is a 14 day cruise and I really don't want to take a lot of clothing. Princess has laundromats to do needed items that are dirty.:confused:

We have cruised with Princess the last couple of years and are now booked on a Celebrity cruise this month. I have heard that Celebrity does not allow you to do your own laundry. This is a 14 day cruise and I really don't want to take a lot of clothing. Princess has laundromats to do needed items that are dirty.:confused:

No laundromates fleetwide, here is a link to the laundry prices.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/home.do?faqSubjectName=Ship+and+Stateroom+Details&faqId=566&pagename=faq_answers

Celebrity does have a laundry service available, for a fee, of course. Many cruisers also do a little hand-laundry in their bathroom sink and hang things up to dry, so you might want to get a small bottle of detergent before you board or during a port of call.

My theory is that they do not find a laundromat on board to be in keeping with their image as a more upscale cruise line. That, and the laundry service is another opportunity to bring in some moolah.

Caddy Car, welcome to Cruise Critic. You'll find a very handy feature of this site is the "search" feature, giving you the ability to find answers to many of the most frequently asked questions. When you pick a cruise, be sure to join its Roll Call to meet up with others on that trip, share ideas, and get excited. Enjoy you cruise.

We find the laundry costs to be quite reasonable. You can wash out the "finer" things yourself. I don't like to over pack either and found on our 14 day trip, I could easily have a few tops and a couple bottoms washed for pretty little money. In fact I kind of tagged some OBC money as "for laundry" in my head. Making the expense a non-issue. ;)

Some enterprising cruisers have gone to the spa late at night, put in some soap and then jumped in with many layers of clothes on. Drying the clothes is a bit more of a challenge....

I saw a talk where one of the executives said he did not want to give up the revenue earned on the room inventory. Each laundromat would take two staterooms per floor from room revenue. More could be earned on room revenue than on laundry charges.

That was my ONLY complaint with Celebrity. I would really like a self service laundromat on board. It would be nice if they could just designate part of the laundry rooms for passengers at certain times instead of building new ones and eliminating cabins. I did use their laundry service with my OBC and I thought it was a little steep, nothing was folded, just kind of rolled together, but it was just underwear and socks, so no big deal and it worked out OK.

We did our own laundry on our first Princess cruise, and I have to tell you,

it was the most depressing thing to be sitting in that laundry room, on a cruise ship in the middle of the ocean. On our holiday no less.

I vowed never again. :(

Those prices are VERY reasonable.

We try to pack enough for an entire cruise, but sometimes accidents happen,

and with the laundry/dry cleaning prices that low, it makes sense to use them for those odd few items you can't live without. ;)

That was my ONLY complaint with Celebrity. I would really like a self service laundromat on board. It would be nice if they could just designate part of the laundry rooms for passengers at certain times instead of building new ones and eliminating cabins. I did use their laundry service with my OBC and I thought it was a little steep, nothing was folded, just kind of rolled together, but it was just underwear and socks, so no big deal and it worked out OK.

Your on a cruise, why in the world would you want to be doing laundry???

I have cruised, as have many of you, on ships with self-service laundry. I've seen water rushing down the hall because people couldn't/wouldn't read the instructions and added way too much soap. I've seen someone try to dye clothes in a washing machine and then the next several loads other people put in all came out blue. I've seen people revert to all the horrible laundromat behaviours you remember from college dorm days, taking people's clothes out of machines and dumping them on the floor, stealing clothes (and who wants to sit in the laundry room for a couple of hours watching your clothes while you're on vacation). I think Celebrity has made the right choice.

That being said, today Celebrity pulled a real bonehead move (see the thread about the new Connie itineraries) so I really don't have much confidence in management right now!

I do love self-service laundry but I just bite the bullet and use the "fill a bag" deal they offer during the cruise. I think its like $39 for the bag or something. I don't remember the exact price but its definitely a bargain compared to paying for each peice. But I must say that some of the clothes did not come back clean that clean. I usually pretreat stains and there were some food stains on my son's shirt that would have come out had I done the wash. But oh, well. Doesn't stop me from loving Celebrity!

I do love self-service laundry but I just bite the bullet and use the "fill a bag" deal they offer during the cruise. I think its like $39 for the bag or something. I don't remember the exact price but its definitely a bargain compared to paying for each peice. But I must say that some of the clothes did not come back clean that clean. I usually pretreat stains and there were some food stains on my son's shirt that would have come out had I done the wash. But oh, well. Doesn't stop me from loving Celebrity!

This $39 option sounds interesting. This will be our first sailing with Celebrity. On our three previous cruises, all fairly upscale, they had free self-service laundry places on the ship. It worked fine for us. Will have to ask our friends who have done Solstice before on how this option works. On a 12-day cruise, it is a factor to consider in advance.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 37,300 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

This $39 option sounds interesting. This will be our first sailing with Celebrity. On our three previous cruises, all fairly upscale, they had free self-service laundry places on the ship. It worked fine for us. Will have to ask our friends who have done Solstice before on how this option works. On a 12-day cruise, it is a factor to consider in advance.

[

So true! Especially since we will be spending 5 days pre-cruise and 2 days post-cruise in Europe. We will be gone 3 weeks total, no way we can bring enough clothes in one suitcase!

It was only $29 for the "fill the bag" special offered on Wednesday. I didn't think they were going to have it, so I had already had my laundry done twice when it came out. Would have saved $$$ if I had waited.

• 3 weeks later...

We did the Tahiti to Hawaii a few years ago on Princess and spending 5 days at sea in the middle of the Pacific on the smallest ship in the fleet..........it was a relief to do laundry! lol

Personally I think I would wash whatever I desperately needed in the sink and just send it out to be ironed. Have read too many times about shrinkage.:)

Your on a cruise, why in the world would you want to be doing laundry???

My sentiments exactly. I tried once on a cruise line that shall not be named, but it was always busy. Anyway after getting off the ship I had an overnight at a hotel that had a washer/dryer in the room, so I did my laundry while I relaxed in the jacuzzi tub.

I would never be found in a laundry room on a ship. Not my style. ;)

No place to iron either?

Nope, but they do offer pressing services. I pack with drycleaner bags

and they work like a charm:) the plastic acts as a buffer and when I

unpack.....no wrinkles!:D

That is correct, and irons are not allowed to be brought on board. There is always a line of people on embarkation day waiting to claim their suitcases which were not delivered to their staterooms due to the irons they had packed. It causes quite a hassle for the passengers. Hang your clothes in a steamy bathroom or use Downy Wrinkle Release or the home-made version to take out wrinkles, or send your clothes out to be pressed.

We have sailed Celebrity exclusively for the past 15+ years and always used the laundry service. I DID notice quite a bit of shrinkage of some of my clothes on my last Connie cruise. Now, I only send things I either don't care if they shrink or they won't shrink.

Having said this, we did a Princess cruise last November (only for the itinerary) and we DID use the laundry room twice. We were in Venice for 4 days prior and it rained almost the whole time, so we had quite a bit of sox, underwear & t shirts that needed laundering. Since the ship overnighted another night in VCE, we stayed on and did a couple of loads--really not a problem at all. We had the time. Would I do it all the time? Absolutely NOT! This one time it was OK, but I would opt for the service & pay for it!

I cruised Celbrity prior to having my two children and am now contemplating a cruise on Silhouette.

Does anyone have the prices for children's laundry? (I see there is a link in the beginning of this thread for Ladies and Mens.)

I must say that with the amount of laundry that children go through, a self service laundry would be a wonderful idea. Never thought of that before I had the little ones, but there you are!

...Does anyone have the prices for children's laundry? (I see there is a link in the beginning of this thread for Ladies and Mens.).....

There is no special charges listed for kids so I assume it's the same. Don't think boys pants or girils dresses are less because they are smaller. Someone who has actual kids charges may chime in with better info, but on the website and on the laundry list, it doesn't differentiate.

Den

Archived