Passenger list distribution

Isklaar

We are new to Silversea and although I have done a quick board search I'm unable to find more information about my query, so please forgive me if it's a silly or frequently asked question.

My travel partner for the cruise has heard that a list is distributed to all passengers, giving details of other passengers on board including their full names and home address information. Since he lives in a very small village, population c. 750 people, he is reluctant to have his information handed around the ship in this way.

Would someone please clarify exactly what information is detailed on this list? And is it possible for him to specify to SS what information he is prepared to share - I know that he would be fine with his first and last name and the county he lives in to be mentioned, but not so much detail as the name of the village and/or which road he lives in.

I am surprised that Silversea does not consult with passengers before issuing this list,clearly the company is not subject to similar Data Protection laws as we have here.

At some stage passengers are asked how would they like their name to appear and printed in the passenger list, this is up to him entirely. I am quite sure if you don't want your name listed at all - Silversea would oblige.

Thank you very much MrsCrab. I had hoped that passengers were given an option but the story my companion heard was rather filled with hyperbole, hence I thought it best to ask here for more reliable advice!

Very much appreciated, this will put his mind at rest.

The list we received on our recent Whisper cruise only had the names, town, state/country rather than the actual address. And I do not recall being asked regarding the listing, probably SS is saving some trouble and not attempting to provide the full address, which would most likely raise some issues with passengers.

IIRC, you can check a box on the advance questionnaire online to be excluded from the list. When we lived in an English village, the location given on the passenger list was always the much larger 'post town', more than 10 miles away, suggesting that SS was using postcode-based software to generate the passenger list, but that's only my guesswork.

There are people who do not wish to be included in the Guest Directory. Just tell the Reception Desk and they will take care of it if you do not wish to be included. It is only your name and city/state/country. As jgibbs says, you are asked on your pre-registration form, online, how you wish to be listed in the Guest Directory.

duct tape has posted the definitive answer. And they have never gone along with my wish to be listed as Homer Simpson from Springfield USA. They do go by the postal address on file for you. USA residents list city and state. The rest of the world lists lists city and country.

The list is not all that accurate, either. Acquaintances from Barbados were listed as being from the UK. We've been listed as being from California once (CA is the international designation for Canada and it doesn't help that there is an Ontario, CA, USA)

At least for those of us who purchase our cruise from EU travel agencies, which makes the cruise contract subject to EU and local country laws, Silversea's practice of distributing a public list with even your name, city and country violates EU Data protection laws.

To comply with EU Data protection laws, they would have to ask your permission in advance to be included on this list, and obtain your acceptance or refusal in writing. If you don't respond, it must be interpreted as a refusal to be placed on the list.

In my opinion, the comments floating around here about going to reception to tell them you want your name removed aren't sufficient, in that many first-time Silversea cruisers do not know that Silversea publishes and distributes a passenger list and only find out when they see the list placed on their bed towards the end of the cruise.

If and when this inclusion on a public list bothers someone to such an extent that a complaint is filed against Silversea with EU authorities, Silversea will be fined 600,000 euros -- since it is in flagrant violation of the law and really has no defense against not seeking passenger permission.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

At least for those of us who purchase our cruise from EU travel agencies, which makes the cruise contract subject to EU and local country laws, Silversea's practice of distributing a public list with even your name, city and country violates EU Data protection laws.

To comply with EU Data protection laws, they would have to ask your permission in advance to be included on this list, and obtain your acceptance or refusal in writing. If you don't respond, it must be interpreted as a refusal to be placed on the list.

In my opinion, the comments floating around here about going to reception to tell them you want your name removed aren't sufficient, in that many first-time Silversea cruisers do not know that Silversea publishes and distributes a passenger list and only find out when they see the list placed on their bed towards the end of the cruise.

If and when this inclusion on a public list bothers someone to such an extent that a complaint is filed against Silversea with EU authorities, Silversea will be fined 600,000 euros -- since it is in flagrant violation of the law and really has no defense against not seeking passenger permission.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

I think this little piece of information is slightly incorrect. Directive 95/46/EC is the text for protection of personal data at the European level.

The processing of the data by silversea is lawful due to the fact that the quality of the data is processed fairly and lawfully, and collected for specified and legitimate purposes.

Im sure the silversea lawyers would have all of this knowledge and would NOT be so ignorant as to defy any laws worldwide.

That Directive from 1995 was the basic framework for the concept of unification of data protection laws across the EU.

That Directive has been implemented, enhanced and expanded over the years by various Regulations and implementing laws on the part of each Member State.

While Silversea has the absolute right to collect certain data about its passengers in order to process their reservation and actual cruise, it has no right to disclose such data to anybody except a governmental authority under certain conditions (for example, processing customs and immigration, etc.), without the express permission of the subject involved.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

It doesn't bother me in the least to have my name and home town published in the "guest list".

Aren't there better things to protest, such as the automatic $1/day contribution to the owner family's foundation, requiring one to opt out in person.

The most likely illegal " charity" charge requiring an in person opt out is particularly vexing to us. No one should ever put an unauthorized charge on a person's credit card, and that is what is happening. We're really glad to see the subject come up again so fellow CCers who don't know about this will be informed of this sneaky practice before they get their shipboard account charged...and it WILL be charged daily if one doesn't go directly to the Reception desk and opt out. We suggest a donation to the Crew Welfare Fund(on all of the ships) in lieu of a $1.00 a day, per person charge to the SS owner's family's personal foundation. That way you can feel good about where your money is going. You may even know the person or persons whom the fund helps in a crisis, or the people who have a stress relieving crew party..the Crew Fund's possibilities of enhancing the lives of all the excellent people who make the SS experience SO wonderful, are varied and many.

It is really a shame that this misguided, but very effective "pickpocketing", or involuntary if that sounds nicer, policy is still in operation. Does any other cruise line do this?

Im sure the silversea lawyers would have all of this knowledge and would NOT be so ignorant as to defy any laws worldwide.
We tend to agree with this comment. Two points, since Silversea did ask how would passengers like to have their information appear, those who did not object could be deemed to have agreed to its "small circle" publication (among fellow passengers of that voyage, and not to the public at large). European laws only apply in Europe. Silversea is not registered in Europe, and it sails outside Europe as well. Europe cannot impose its laws on a non-European registered cruise line especially when operating outside its territory.

The most likely illegal " charity" charge requiring an in person opt out is particularly vexing to us. No one should ever put an unauthorized charge on a person's credit card, and that is what is happening. We're really glad to see the subject come up again so fellow CCers who don't know about this will be informed of this sneaky practice before they get their shipboard account charged...and it WILL be charged daily if one doesn't go directly to the Reception desk and opt out. We suggest a donation to the Crew Welfare Fund(on all of the ships) in lieu of a $1.00 a day, per person charge to the SS owner's family's personal foundation. That way you can feel good about where your money is going. You may even know the person or persons whom the fund helps in a crisis, or the people who have a stress relieving crew party..the Crew Fund's possibilities of enhancing the lives of all the excellent people who make the SS experience SO wonderful, are varied and many.

It is really a shame that this misguided, but very effective "pickpocketing", or involuntary if that sounds nicer, policy is still in operation. Does any other cruise line do this?

CruisinPashmina:

Thank you for bringing up the issue of the automatic charity charge. As this thread is about practices that people find questionable, readers ought to be reminded of this issue and informed that the charity charge is still going on. It’s unfortunate that hardly anyone has even mentioned the issue in months – probably because the discussion thread was closed down so the topic has become ‘taboo’ somehow, and people feel they will be censured for mentioning it. Yet, an update on this matter is certainly in order, and perhaps some renewed discussion. It’s so disappointing that absolutely nothing has changed in 6 months. Despite customer complaints, SS continues to make this automatic and probably illegal charge. And because there’s been an enforced silence about this matter, the word isn’t getting out to readers and new cruisers who can easily miss this sneaky little add-on to their onboard accounts.

CruisinPashmina:

Thank you for bringing up the issue of the automatic charity charge. It’s so disappointing that absolutely nothing has changed in 6 months. Despite customer complaints, SS continues to make this automatic and probably illegal charge. And because there’s been an enforced silence about this matter, the word isn’t getting out to readers and new cruisers who can easily miss this sneaky little add-on to their onboard accounts.

I certainly wont be paying the charge on our cruise next month. I certainly remember the major hassle we had on the PAII last August getting the "charity" charge removed. It was the only down side to an otherwise outstanding cruise.

Ann

It doesn't bother me in the least to have my name and home town published in the "guest list".

I agree with Dusababy. I really don't know why there is such a fuss about this. It's only your name and city/country. It's not like your cabin number, phone, address and email is listed.

Why do people fuss about this? Do they think they are going to get stalked or something?

I really like getting that passenger list because when I get home, I read through the list and try to remember all the people I've met. I think it's great.:)

As for the charity charge, yeah it shouldn't be there but it's VERY easy to get rid of. If u don't want to pay it, tell Reception and they will remove it. I did this on my 3 recent cruises. Easy peasy:)

Cheers

Jennifer

I agree with Dusababy. I really don't know why there is such a fuss about this. It's only your name and city/country. It's not like your cabin number, phone, address and email is listed.

Why do people fuss about this? Do they think they are going to get stalked or something?

Cheers

Jennifer

Some people just love to complain about everything:D

Dear friends:

To many people, for whatever reason, it is a big deal to have their name appear. That is the whole point about data protection laws. There are many reasons why it may be a big deal to people, but that is not important to a third party.

Meow, you should probably stick to measuring all of Silversea's cabins and deck space, because on this legal matter you don't have a clue.

EU laws apply to anyone who purchases a cruise (i.e. enters into a contract) from within the European Union. This matter has nothing to do with how Silversea runs its maritime affairs (ship crew, registration, etc.) but rather its contractual relationship between the passenger and the marketing end of the cruise line, which contractual relationship is perfected in the EU when a passenger purchases the cruise within the EU.

Those laws are very specific. Silversea may gather personal data for the sole use of processing the reservation and cruise, and may only disclose such data under certain limited circumstances to a governmental authority.

Publishing a passenger list completely violates this law. I do not remember on any cruise being asked in advance either "how I want my name to appear" or any other direct or indirect form of asking my permission to be included on such a list.

As I say this is no big deal to 99% of the passengers, but it is a big deal to some passenger and, in any case, Silversea should follow the law.

Once again, you Americans have a different take on this privacy issue. The laws are much stricter here than in the United States. That is why after September 11 when the U.S. started requesting personal information from airline reservation records, this was blatantly against EU data protection laws and the EU had to negotiate with the United States and pass a separate law to allow this. That is also why in the United States you folks don't seem to care if Facebook and Google spy inside your computers and inside profiles stored on their websites and then use this information for other purposes. This is also against EU data protection laws and has caused a big issue here and is presently in the Courts.

There are certain privacy issues that have never bothered you Americans but seem to be very sensitive here in Europe, which is why we have these tough laws.

The U.S. Congress will probably never wake up to this whole privacy matter until maybe one day one of its members goes on a taxpayer-funded business trip to Europe but really goes on a Silversea cruise with a companion that is not his spouse, and their names get published on the Silversea passenger list.

In any case, I agree it is not a big deal to most people but for the very few to whom this issue matters, the law should be respected.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

"Privacy Laws" only work for rogues. For them, it's a bonus. A hundred years ago, in every village, town or even city in Europe, the crooks, gangsters, thiefs and con-men were known. You only had to ask, if you didn't already know. If you were to rent your house to Herr Braun, you only had to ask the informal Chamber of Commerce to find out whether Mr Brown was going to trash the place, or treat it as his own: and act accordingly. There were no "Privacy Laws". Now, you can't find out. And, so, there's a 50% chance you're gonna have a trashed apartment. I, for one, like to know who I'm dealing with.

And, Crusingerman, apart from indulging in an academic lawyer's delight in telling imposingly of what you have read, you don't seem to have served any other purpose ....

And, you are so wrong. On Silversea and Seabourn I have always been asked, months before cruise-time, what I want in the Passenger List. On the last Seabourn cruise, I was feeling a bit mischeivious - and nominated 'no entry'. Don't know why. So, my wife and I weren't in it. As a result, we copped it from some of the others. Not doing it again.

But, I love being the owner of the first names of my fellow travellers, after I have met them by the Pool or at Dinner or over Breakfast and then greeting them in the corridors or on deck etc., after confirming this in the Passenger List the next morning before breakfast. It's fun!, and, I think, for them too!

And, without a Passenger List, I simply couldn't do it. I love 'em. And I'm putting the full particulars in the next one in June on Silver Cloud. Gawd, if there was space for a cell-phone number, it'd go there.

Meow, you should probably stick to measuring all of Silversea's cabins and deck space, because on this legal matter you don't have a clue.

True, we don't know much about the law, but as others point out, Silversea must have lawyers who know. Perhaps they don't accept the concept of Europe applying its laws outside of its borders. If every country applies its laws to other countries just because its citizens are involved, and such laws are different and perhaps contradictory in different countires, what will be the result?

Archived