Passenger list distribution

Isklaar

True, we don't know much about the law, but as others point out, Silversea must have lawyers who know. Perhaps they don't accept the concept of Europe applying its laws outside of its borders. If every country applies its laws to other countries just because its citizens are involved, and such laws are different and perhaps contradictory in different countires, what will be the result?

Thank you Meow! My thoughts exactly...

Host Dan

Sorry Cruisingerman you are just plain wrong here. It is part of SS's T's & C's that every guest fills in a Guest Information Form, either on paper or online.

The form asks for your requested name format for the passenger list. If you do not wish to be included then leave your name blank, or put a request to be left out of the passenger list in the other comments box.

As you have to complete the form SS has obeyed the DP laws by allowing you the choice to be included or to have yourself excluded.

So where's the problem.

Well, I'm very sorry to have inadvertenly stirred up a hornets' nest here. This was my first post on this area of the board and I rather wish now that I hadn't posted.

On the note about the 'passenger list' it may be the case that Silversea require people to complete this, but I don't believe they actually make it clear that this list is going to be distributed to all and sundry. When we completed the guest information form online, nowhere did it say that the information was shared amongst other passengers. We are new to Silversea so how would we have known this otherwise?

This is from the Silversea website :

As a company dedicated to serving the needs of discriminating travellers, Silversea Cruises Ltd. has a long-established tradition of preserving the privacy of their guests.

I strongly believe that they should make it clear that such information we add to the guest information form will be distributed onboard. Most first timers will assume it is only for company use.

As I said, my travel companion has good reason to not want fairly specific information included. He has no problem with the list saying his name/county/country.

As for me, I'm more concerned about how many cocktail dresses I shall take, but having read some previous posts on that subject, it seems to be even more of a hot potato than this one!

Once again, my apologies for starting this discussion.

Dear friends:

I went on the Silversea Spirit in June 2010. Booked the cruise about two weeks prior to sailing at El Corte Inglés travel agency in Madrid, Spain where my home is located.

I received my travel documents by e-mail a few days later. I was never asked to complete any guest questionnaire.

Showed up in Venice and boarded the cruise.

In any case, even if what you say is true, that they give you a questionnaire to fill out, that questionnaire cannot simply say "How do you want your name on the list" to satisfy the EU laws. The questionnaire to be given to passengers who purchased their cruises in the EU would need to cite the specific law involved and advise passengers that they have the right to access, correct, object to or cancel their data.

My name did in fact appear on the passenger list and it is not even an issue that bothers me, personally. The whole point of this thread is that Silversea is not really respecting the privacy laws that are applicable to them and should really think twice before placing a list on your bed with everybody's name on it.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

CruisinPashmina:

Thank you for bringing up the issue of the automatic charity charge. ..... It’s so disappointing that absolutely nothing has changed in 6 months. Despite customer complaints, SS continues to make this automatic and probably illegal charge. And because there’s been an enforced silence about this matter, the word isn’t getting out to readers and new cruisers who can easily miss this sneaky little add-on to their onboard accounts.

Actually, on my last cruise, leaving March 1 aboard the Spirit, there was no automatic charge. A few days into the cruise, we received a form to fill in if we wished to opt-in and there was a brochure on the charity. No bracelet this time (as there was last fall when one had to opt-out.)

I went to update the charity charge thread but it has been locked and I wasn't sure if the change had been noted in that (long) thread so I chose to not start a new thread.

Actually, on my last cruise, leaving March 1 aboard the Spirit, there was no automatic charge. A few days into the cruise, we received a form to fill in if we wished to opt-in and there was a brochure on the charity. No bracelet this time (as there was last fall when one had to opt-out.)

I went to update the charity charge thread but it has been locked and I wasn't sure if the change had been noted in that (long) thread so I chose to not start a new thread.

That's interesting. On my cruise in March, on the Cloud, the form also came a few days into the cruise, but you had to indicate that you were declining the 'contribution' and you had to bring the form to Reception. So, still an opt-out thing.

NCL and RCCL don't publish passenger lists. I don't know about the other large cruise lines.

By the way, both NCL and RCCL were fined last year by Spain and Italy (countries where some of their ships homeport roundtrip in the Mediterranean) for violation of another aspect of EU, Spanish and Italian privacy and data protection laws. It had nothing to do with passenger lists, but rather with the cruise lines videotaping for security purposes virtually everywhere on the ships and inside the terminals (including restrooms) without posting the proper, required warning to the public that they are being videotaped, where they can access their images, and under what circumstances and after what timeframe they are entitled to have them deleted and destroyed.

Hope Silversea doesn't film you in the men's room without posting a sign, or they will go the same way.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

When we completed the guest information form online, nowhere did it say that the information was shared amongst other passengers. I strongly believe that they should make it clear that such information we add to the guest information form will be distributed onboard. Most first timers will assume it is only for company use.

When u fill out the guest information form (this is online, under My Voyage on the SS website) it states:

How would you like your name to appear on the shipboard Guest List and Stationery?

In my case, the passenger list showed me as:

Ross, Ms Jennifer: Kogarah, Australia

Considering all the info that goes on the guest information form in the first place, this is no big deal is it?

Cheers

Jennifer

Hi....

Passenger list says...from one in my hand as we have just returned from cruise....

Mr bill smith....cologne germany

mr bill smith - warsaw - poland

No other info is given...and i think this list is generated on the ship...its not given out for while...3 or 4 days into the cruise so if you dont want to be on it go to the reception and has for you info to be deleted or modified...they are very obliging and im sure it would not be a problem...

enjoy your cruise you will love it...

Once again, you Americans have a different take on this privacy issue.

There are certain privacy issues that have never bothered you Americans but seem to be very sensitive here in Europe, which is why we have these tough laws.

Gunther and Uta

Who are you calling an American?:eek:

If you dont like giving your name and city, stop cruising!

PS..gotta love a hot topic :)

Many people do not know there is a passenger list distributed to all of the passengers. This should be explained explicitly along with your right not to be included.

The one line they may put on their guest questionnaire referring to a passenger list is too short, ambiguous and vague. It does not mention clearly that a list is going to be distributed to all passengers on the ship.

Personally, I couldn't care less if my name is on the list. However, I don't think Silversea should go about this in such a lax, non-compliant sort of way, and if they are going to do this, they should do it correctly from the onset.

Because for 99% of passengers this is no big deal, nobody has likely lodged a formal complaint. But that, too, will happen some day.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

If you dont like giving your name and city, stop cruising!

Well the point here is that this our FIRST cruise - and as I said, if we hadn't happened to hear this topic discussed elsewhere we would have been none the wiser.

The fact is that Silversea now has our money and it's too late to 'stop cruising' for this one.

[quote=CruisinGerman;28734038

Many people do not know there is a passenger list distributed to all of the passengers. This should be explained explicitly along with your right not to be included.

My point exactly.

Now I'm concerned about what other unexpected 'surprises' Silversea has lined up...

I should be happy and excited about my first Silversea cruise - it's something I've dreamed of for more than 10 years.

My point exactly. Now I'm concerned about what other unexpected 'surprises' Silversea has lined up...I should be happy and excited about my first Silversea cruise - it's something I've dreamed of for more than 10 years.

Isklaar

Yes u should be happy and excited. SS is a wonderful experience and u really r over reacting about this passenger list. U will have a wonderful time...stop worrying.

Cheers

Jennifer

Because for 99% of passengers this is no big deal, nobody has likely lodged a formal complaint. But that, too, will happen some day.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

I've been cruising with Silversea since 1997 and to my recollection so has the guest list.

So far no one has even mentioned it might be a violation of international privacy law. (Perhaps Silversea has been engaged in behind the scenes battles with EU courts....?) There will always be people with nothing better to do than belabor a point so perhaps your prediction may come to pass.

My point exactly.

Now I'm concerned about what other unexpected 'surprises' Silversea has lined up...

I should be happy and excited about my first Silversea cruise - it's something I've dreamed of for more than 10 years.

We took our first Silversea cruise in November. Next month is our second. . . . you will enjoy every moment on Silversea! In terms of the passenger list, we spent a few minutes counting how many people were on board from different countries. It truly is not something to get upset about. Just like the charity donation. . . . you can just opt out.

Have a great cruise!

I have been following this thread with interest, as it has entertained, amused, and informed. We have always enjoyed the passenger lists for some of the same reasons mentioned earlier, such as seeing how many passengers are from various countries. And while I personally don't care if anyone knows what city, state or country that I hail from, it also doesn't bother me that a fellow passenger does not want to be included.

Now, if the passenger list also gave my weight..:D

I have passenger lists from trips I took going back to 1956. Since I've only traveled on Silversea in the past 15 years, and I have received a passenger list on each trip, I was surprised to hear that passengers were unaware of the distribution of such a list. Does anyone know which lines provide passenger lists and which do not?

I like being able to look up the full names of people whom I meet on board and am fairly confident that you could opt out of inclusion on the list by mentioning it on the passenger information form as well as at the reception desk upon check in or a day later.

The one line they may put on their guest questionnaire referring to a passenger list is too short, ambiguous and vague. It does not mention clearly that a list is going to be distributed to all passengers on the ship.

Personally, I couldn't care less if my name is on the list. However, I don't think Silversea should go about this in such a lax, non-compliant sort of way, and if they are going to do this, they should do it correctly from the onset.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

I have read each post on this thread.

Silversea does what all cruise lines that we have sailed with do if they produce a passenger list.

Specifically, as part of the passenger registration form they note that if you do not want to be included in the passenger list that you can opt out of it or if you want to be listed they ask how you want your name listed. So, if you do not want to be listed you note that on the registration form.

This is not rocket science.

If you believe Silversea is doing something that is not in legal conformance with the EU then report it to someone to investigate or ask your TA to followup on this.

Keith

Archived