Why Wait For Retirement

riddle

We are a pair on DINKYs and have got the crusing/travelling bug big-style.

My parents have not experienced cruising and some of the other more sybaritic pleasures of life. I persuaded my brother and sister to jointly spring for a mini-cruise for their joint 80th birthday present (Fred Olsen - Southampton-Scilly Isles-Dublin-Liverpool).

They debarked today - I do hope that they enjoyed it!

We are off to Venice in August and already looking at the Holy Land in Easter 2012.

You have to do it while you can - you never know what is around the corner.

My philosophy of life - you come in with nothing - go out owing money and you have made a profit on the deal! :rolleyes:

Do it while you can -- who knows what happens following retirement. I, too, have known several friends who within one year of retirement, passed away.

Or, in my case, I was "forced" to retire a couple of years ago following a downsizing and who wanted to hire a mid sixties woman with nothing but financial institution experience with the economy the way it was (is)! Was so glad that hubby and I had cruised and frequented Mexico and the Caribbean on land based vacations and enjoyed our life because our financial situation is a little different now!:rolleyes: So now instead of enjoying two or three vacations a year, we are happy for one splurged vacation and several mini-vacations (that's what is great about being so close to Las Vegas)!;)

Can't wait to cruise again in Dec. on the Spirit and venture out into New Orleans.

There is a poem I love that says life is a journey not a destination it goes on to say people always put things off, when then kids grow up, when I lose weight, when I retire I will do this or that. The fact is sometimes that time never comes life is a journey enjoy it now do what you want now not later when it may not come. I am a retired cop and always live my life this way. Enjoy yourself, do whatever it is you want, there may be a time when you can't. Those of us who live like this are happier people, so cruise often:D

I don't know if I necessarily agree with most of the postings here.

Fact is most baby-boomers (born 1946-1964) are totally unprepared financially for retirement. Only 11% are confident they will live in "comfort" in retirement. We baby-boomers have ultimately been "I want it now" generation and that has been to the detriment of our preparation for retirement. Fact is most of us are living longer than ever, on average 78 for men and 82 for women.

While I have saved better than most my own age for retirment, by all accounts I have not saved nearly enough. Therefore the thought is in my mind often how much more prepared for retirement I might be had I not taken the number of cruises I have.

Next time you are thinking of taking a cruise, call into Suze Orman and during her "can I afford it" segment put your cruise to the test!

Just a little sobering advice

Worldspan

I don't know if I necessarily agree with most of the postings here.

Fact is most baby-boomers (born 1946-1964) are totally unprepared financially for retirement. Only 11% are confident they will live in "comfort" in retirement. We baby-boomers have ultimately been "I want it now" generation and that has been to the detriment of our preparation for retirement. Fact is most of us are living longer than ever, on average 78 for men and 82 for women.

While I have saved better than most my own age for retirment, by all accounts I have not saved nearly enough. Therefore the thought is in my mind often how much more prepared for retirement I might be had I not taken the number of cruises I have.

Next time you are thinking of taking a cruise, call into Suze Orman and during her "can I afford it" segment put your cruise to the test!

Just a little sobering advice

Worldspan

Your point is important BUT I think most of us here that have posted..are talking about cruising/vacationing with income that can be used for that purpose...I totally understand your slant on this...NO one should cruise (or make other non essential expenses) on money that is needed for everyday expense. That would be foolish for sure.

I started this thread and I watch Suze Orman every Saturday night. While I agree with a lot of her advice I also realize we are getting advice from someone who has travelled extensively most of her life and has several different houses and more money than most of us could ever dream of.

I think Suze would probably give me a B+ for where we are now.

As another posted said, it is not one size fits all. I consider us in the minority of baby boomers who have saved close to enough for retirement. I am looking at at least 6 more years of full time work. I will be 65 and who knows what my health will be.

My mother lived the last 10 years of her life afraid to spend any money because she might need it for a nursing home. What a way to live! You could not convince her to enjoy any of it.

So, for now, we will continue to cruise, continue to travel several times a year. If we can afford it, we will do it. I do not condone anyone who cannot afford it borrowing or going into debt for vacations.

:)

I live for the forseeable future, I tend not to look more than a year ahead. Why? My dad was 52 when he had a massive stroke Given the family history and my recent familial hypercholesterolaemia diagnosis I have always expected a stroke, had the hypertension and high cholesterol since i was in my 30's and then had a heart attack at 49 which led me to a consultant who is doing great things to help me.

We have no kids, everything is paid for. Neither of us work, Tony has a company pension and some investments and I have a home business.We aren't rich but we can get to travel and enjoy our lives. Life is too short not to make the most of things and take the chances offered, I don't put anything off until I reach retirement age, I'll do it now while I can. I know some people think I am irresponsible and not thinking about the future but it nearly wasn't there for me at all and I don't intend to have any regrets doing things, I'll have the memories instead

In 2004 I was lucky enough to spend several weeks in Australia when my daughter studied in Perth. This was my first big trip since the 70s [got married, family, etc.]. Anyway, I saw so many people on that trip that couldn't fully participate in the most amazing parts of the day tours I went on because they were either too fragile or had limited mobility. I realized that the time in NOW! Since then I've been on the cruises below, spent 2 weeks in Ireland, 2 in Amersterdam and 4 in Italy, and have taken wonderful trips to the Oregon coast/Crater Lake, Glacier National Park, and Rocky Mountain NP and visited all the NP in Utah. We are not rich by any means, but we have made this a priority. Of course we are saving for our retirement too, but we just find that by living simply and only doing what we really want to, with careful planning, we can travel while we are able to fully enjoy it. My husband is only 53...retirement is a long way off...I am not willing to take the chance that we'll have time or the health to travel then. We hear lots of comments about how much we travel but I don't let it influence me...most of those commenting just choose to spend their money differently. Like most of you, I only spend what I can afford, and I'm going to keep cruising and visiting NPs and enjoying my life now.

all i ever heard is when we "retire" we will travel and do this and that...have known to many including my folks that this didnt work out for!

not waiting to cruise or do what we can when we can (early 50s)...to many times those 'retirement' years arent Golden --we are not semi-retired and just do and go when we can and feel fortunate for that...

i know many of our friends and family think we have plenty of time 'later' to cruise, but i dont want to be so old that i cant enjoy it to the fullest!!

i only wish we would have started to cruise earlier than just 9 years ago,

but we do what we can and when we can and feel BLESSED and GREATFUL and LUCKY for our lives!!!

Tomorrow is Not Promised...LIVE for TODAY;)

I live for the forseeable future, I tend not to look more than a year ahead. Why? My dad was 52 when he had a massive stroke Given the family history and my recent familial hypercholesterolaemia diagnosis I have always expected a stroke, had the hypertension and high cholesterol since i was in my 30's and then had a heart attack at 49 which led me to a consultant who is doing great things to help me.

We have no kids, everything is paid for. Neither of us work, Tony has a company pension and some investments and I have a home business.We aren't rich but we can get to travel and enjoy our lives. Life is too short not to make the most of things and take the chances offered, I don't put anything off until I reach retirement age, I'll do it now while I can. I know some people think I am irresponsible and not thinking about the future but it nearly wasn't there for me at all and I don't intend to have any regrets doing things, I'll have the memories instead

This sounds like my family--Dad died at 62 heart attack, sister at 51 had heart attack (thank God she made it through) another sister at 47 had quadruple bypass, again now okay. I've had stress test because of my hypertension and high cholesterol which is all hereditary. So far things are looking good, but nothing is guaranteed! So we travel as much as we can and are semiretired. I do work 32-36 hrs a week so I can have a very good health insurance plan---for just incase!!:eek:

We saved alot in the early yrs. didn't buy new cars or have a huge house. Now we have all our toys, a large home, RV, motorcycles, ect. ect. and owe NOTHING but regular monthy bills. (utilities, phone ect.)

Our biggest expense is spoiling our grandkids--:D

As far as Worldspams comments not all of us babyboomers did the "have to have it now". We can pass the "can I afford it" test.;)

I also agree with most of the posters. DH is 54 and retired after 30 years service, gets a retirement, and we have health benefits (nothing like when he was working though). He now works part time for my brother doing landscaping. I am a Realtor (not making much now after 26 yrs. Our area is a very depressed one) I also have a couple other things I do to keep me busy and adds to our income. We started cruising 8 years ago. The kids were both in college, and we have gotten them out. Our house and 3 cars are all paid for. It is a moderate house, nothing fancy. Just got a new car (pd cash) and we cruise 2-3 times a year. We are enjoying our "semi-retirement" while we can. We pay cash for everything. We have lived very frugally over the years, and saved for the future. We would probably receive a B+. We never know how long we will be here, so we are stopping and smelling the roses along the way, and enjoying every minute of it. :D

My biggest dream was to go to Tahiti. Well, I made it there just before I turned 50. We did a 30 day cruise to Hawaii and the South Pacific, and we thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. So glad we were able to do it while we could enjoy all the excursions we did while there. We will continue to enjoy our cruising as long as our health holds out. Hopefully, it will be a long time coming. We work for something to do each day, and also to pay for our cruising habit! :eek: :eek: Family and friends think we are nuts, but we are enjoying our lives to their fullest.

Our first grandson will be a year old very soon, and it has not changed our cruising habits yet. Maybe when he gets a little older. Also, they live 4 hours away, so that could have something to do with it.

My DH and I are in our mid to late 50s. Four years ago after we returned from a cruise I was diagnosed with Stage 4.Thyroid cancer. Today, as far as I know, I am good. My husband has had a couple of medical scares as well. I live more for today than for tomorrow. We try to plan for retirement, but also realize how important it is to enjoy life now. There is a saying that I am fond of "you only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough!" we are scheduled for the Holyland cruise this Oct.

My husband and I are still far from retirement, but we never postpone anything.

Life really is too short for regret. We travel where and when we want, and enjoy our lives now instead of hoping to enjoy ourselves only later in life.

If you can travel, then do it. You never know what's around the corner.

ditto

it is a little scary that after the negative post #29......baby boomers don't plan....Suze Orman ....me generation garbage......everyone is starting to defend their travel/cruising/spending habits....

Spend however you want folks......live life.....ignore the one negative post that started everyone justifying their cruising...reread the earlier posts about how people are enjoying life.....

Our mailman Roy retired. Everyone in the building (work) wished him well. He was always talking about retiring and being able to have the time to go fishing... About a month or two passed and I asked the new carrier if he'd talked to Roy and he told me he had unexpectedly dropped dead.

I think the whole motto of this thread is not to just make a bucket list. Live a few of your dreams now. It's about balance. We've all heard stories of people who lived like misers and deprived themselves the enjoyment from their hard earned money. Nobody says to short-sight your retirement funds to travel... But if you would be earmarking funds to travel after you retire, maybe taking some of that NOW might be a consideration.

Besides, a cruise vacation works wonders to alleviate stress. I just took a short 3-nighter in March and I am still relaxed. I work with a few people who don't take even half of the vacation days they have earned, and we can only carry over 5 days, (used to be 3).

it is a little scary that after the negative post #29......baby boomers don't plan....Suze Orman ....me generation garbage......everyone is starting to defend their travel/cruising/spending habits....

Spend however you want folks......live life.....ignore the one negative post that started everyone justifying their cruising...reread the earlier posts about how people are enjoying life.....

I ain't defending my post. I gave my reasons for why I do what I do. I planned and paid when I was younger, from when I was 18 in fact. I have pensions but cannot get them until I reach 65. 14 years still to go if the docs can keep me going that long. I don't expect to live past 70 and if I do I may well be like my parents and 2 older brothers were and that wasn't nice.

Always said I would go visit my brother in Australia when I retired. Won't be going now as he died aged 61 in 2009.

We raised 3 kids, work hard and were saving all extra penny's for the girls education and retirement. When I turned 46, I was diagnosed with Cancer. That diagnosis made us rethink our priorities. The girls are now all out of college, and living productive lives on their own. So in the past 6 years since my "cure", we no longer "wait for tomorrow" to enjoy life. We learned that life can throw a curve ball at any time, so live for today! God blessed me with a cure, and we still save for our "future", but we just save less and enjoy life a bit more. We cruise as often as our schedules and funds permit, and praise God for giving us a new day! Don't wait for tomorrow, for we were never promised it....enjoy life every day, weather it be on a ship or on land...preferrably on a ship!! Enjoy life and God bless all!!

DH and I are in our mid-40's with 2 kids, 14 and 16. We took our first big vacation on our honeymoon and have made it a priority to take at least one 7-11 day trip per year with as many long week-end trips as we can fit in (with kids and without). My DGF passed away at 64. He and my DGM never got to go on the trips they wanted to do when they retired. My DF passed away at 59. I have had a peripartum cardiomyopathy at 30 when DD was born and came very close to dying myself. I know first hand how short life is. We work hard. We have paid off all debt with the exception of our mortgage. We have money stuck away for rainy days, college funds, and retirement. And we travel as often as we can. It's a priority for us to enjoy as much time together as we can. As a family and as a couple.

I am in complete agreement. In fact, I recently sat down with my investment advisor and he asked "When do you want to retire?". I'm in my late 40's and had never contemplated the question but without hesitation I said: "I like what I'm doing and when I hit my early 60's, it will certainly just be DW and I. I'll be making very good money, have 6 weeks vacation a year, full paid health plan, the company will still be putting away money in my retirement account - I'd be nuts to walk away from that!". My company does not have a forced retirement age. If I get my way I'll still be working when I'm 70. Travelling 6 weeks a year.

I always remember what my Father said after he retired. He said the worse thing about retiring is you never have a vacation. I thought it was a funny thing to say but when you think about it, it makes sense and I have always taken that to heart.

Being in my late 40's and having spent the past year and a half fighting a treatable but non curable form of cancer, has certainly changed the way my wife and I spend our days. Up until this monster came into my life and beat the crap out of me, I would have said I was in the best shape I had ever been in.

As such we would put off doing things like taking time for ourselves, spending time with family and friends or doing those trips that we figured we could put off until "Later".

I guess the point of my post is, we don't know what will happen tomorrow. If you put off your plans for another day, that day my not arrive. Carpe diem(Seize the Day) The future is promised to no one!

Cheers

Like a lot of people our age...late fifties to early sixties...we dream of retirement and the things we will be able to do without a full time job to hold us back.

However, I recently read an article I find interesting. It said that a way to hold off retirement a little longer and therefore increase pension/SS amounts is to "semi retire". That being said, it did not mean not working full time. It meant making the most of your time off work via vacation days, etc.

One of the problems with retirement it seems is that many people have difficulty making the adjustment from full time work to no work at all. This article says that you keep working full time but instead of saving quite so much for retirement that you spend some of that money in these last years of work to go on nice trips, etc.

It makes sense to me in that we all never know how long we will be on this earth. Nothing is sadder than to hear about someone who retires, then passes away shortly thereafter.

I know this post is rather sad/happy but I wondered what others think about this. My husband and I just finished a 7 day on the Pearl to the Caribbean and are planning an Alaska trip for July. We both think that our coworkers will think "how do they do it" and really do not care what others think but we have worked all our lives and we feel we have earned it.

We do not have grandchildren yet but expect our first one in September. That may change our outlook on things but as for now our kids are married, educated and we just have ourselves to worry about.:p

YOU NAILED IT!

I am 46 yars old. I was with my late husband from the age of 16 on. We were high school sweethearts and we ran away across Canada at age 17 and 19 to the west to start a new life. People thought were were crazy. We had our kids young and struggled (two kids by 21).

My husband lucked out and got on with an American company and I tried my hand at many small businesses along the way. We worked hard and in 2006 at age 42 we were proud of our accomplishments. We owned three homes and scratched and saved and travelled very little in hopes of doing it all when we retired.

May 30th 2009 at the tender age of 46, my husband died of lung cancer. He left behind a son age 25 an a daughter age 23. He also left behind myself and 4 foster children we were caring for at the time.

Because of his death, it changed my perspective on life. I was on a new path now.

At age 46 now, I am with a new partner and we are travelling now rather then later. Others wonder how we do it. I can tell you I have not touched one dime of the life insurance. I am doing it on saving up and watching how I budget.

We have done 4 cruises in the last 14 months with one booked in November.

Life can be very short for some of us. Please don't put things off till tomorrow, tomorrow may never come.

Enjoy life to the fullest and always view your glass as half full not half empty.

Sincerely,

Kathy

Archived