The chair hogs hit a whole new low...

kelkel2

How are others supposed to know that you just simply didn't leave your stuff for 60 minutes and aren't returning for several hours' date=' "[/quote']

they're on Princess Cays, where hell are they going to go??? Does this mean you can only swim for 25 minutes at a time?

I agree with the OP. Chair hogs on the ship are one thing, but I'm sure there's almost always a chair available on Princess Cays. I cruise solo sometimes. Sometimes, I may go to Princess Cays alone and my partner stays on the ship that day. So, does that mean that I can't leave my chair to go in the water or go to the bathroom, get a drink, whatever?? I can't have a chair because I don't have someone to guard it? I know that people on the ship can be rude, but one shouldn't have to be chained to their chair at the beach. The reason you go to the beach is to have some fun. I don't think you should have to spend $XXX on a clamshell to be guaranteed your stuff will still be there when you get out of the water. I don't think Princess had this in mind when they say don't save chairs there. Maybe I'm wrong, but I believe they mean that one person shouldn't go over there and save 10 chairs in a row early in the morning and then the rest of their party shows up at noon. JMO.

Out of curiousity, I just pulled my Princess Patters from the last two times I went to Princess Cays. There isn't ANY mention in them about a time limit on chairs on Princess Cays. Why would anyone know the so called 30 minute rule if it's never been stated?

Huh? If I and all my stuff (beach bag, book, water bottle, towel, flipflops) are there for the whole day but I decide to go swim in the ocean for 35 minutes, I lose my chair? Uh, no, I'm sorry, it doesn't work that way at the beach.

The anti-chair-hog hysteria has clearly gotten way out of hand.

People, rightfully so, are fed up with people who put a book down on a chair an think they own the chair for the whole day. Even when they are gone for hours at a time. How is wanting fairness hysteria.....

Bob

Ok, well next time you visit the Princess Kays I will be sure to find you chair when you have been in the food line too long. I mean geesh we were on the island not the ship. We can't help how long the lines are.

Princess Cays...Princess vessel...Princess 30 minute rule applies.

Love it or leave it, but agree... dripping on belongings is indeed a no no.

Ciao for now!!!

It's just sad in my opinion that my husband and I next time will feel like we have to go to lunch separately just to insure that our chair are still there after we get through the line. Should we swim at different times too? One takes a swim and one watches the chairs? I don't think that's fair to us who are trying to have a vacation just the two of us..

It might be sad and it might not be fair, but that's exactly what DH and I do. On PC, one of us goes to get lunch for both of us and brings it back. Same with the ship; we wouldn't think of going to lunch at the same time, not even in the buffet. And if we both want to use (usually a hot tub) at the same time, we don't hold any loungers while we do.

The only inappropriate thing (in my opinion) is that your belongings got wet. But leaving your camera, passport, etc: I'm in total disbelief.

It might be sad and it might not be fair, but that's exactly what DH and I do. On PC, one of us goes to get lunch for both of us and brings it back. Same with the ship; we wouldn't think of going to lunch at the same time, not even in the buffet. And if we both want to use (usually a hot tub) at the same time, we don't hold any loungers while we do.

The only inappropriate thing (in my opinion) is that your belongings got wet. But leaving your camera, passport, etc: I'm in total disbelief.

Do you think it's okay to go to the buffet and bring your food back to your

lounge chair? That's what we always do. We're usually gone for around

10 to 12 minutes, and yes, sometimes we do take turns and sometimes

we don't. If you wanted to use the hot tub at the same time during

non-peak periods, would you still not hold "any" loungers? This doesn't make sense to me, since I can't imagine where i'm supposed to put my towel so that it won't get wet? I'm just trying to understand here.

When I reserve my chair, I'm in it for hourse, with the exception of

going to grab a burger or going to the buffet to bring back a platter of

food or to go to the rest room. So many on this thread act as if it's

an egregious act to possess a lounge chair in excess of an hour.

And everyone can relax about the passport, since it didn't get stolen:rolleyes:

Do you think it's okay to go to the buffet and bring your food back to your

lounge chair? That's what we always do.

food or to go to the rest room. So many on this thread act as if it's

an egregious act to possess a lounge chair in excess of an hour.

Now someone may have thought of this idea before,but here goes. Princess now has the Sanctuary or a clam shell for a guaranteed chair. Well they can make even more money and keep peace by having metered chairs throughout the rest of the ship and on the Cays. Just like parking a car. You pay to park your :rolleyes:. They can have a central station with a computerized read out of available seats. You put your cruise card in and out pops the ticket with the number of the chair and the time. We'll leave it to Princess to decide if this should be an hour, more, or less for a "no extra cost" chair. Princess can then check and remove people from chairs or passengers can have the option of checking and removing. :rolleyes:. We do the same as you 4cats4 me and sometimes we actually have the nerve to take a dip in the pool/ocean. What a nice relaxing cruise we would have if we searched for a chair, had lunch for 40 minutes to an hour, searched for a chair, went to the bathroom for 5 minutes or so, looked for a chair, went for a swim for a half hour or less, looked for a chair.

After having a fairly expensive dry snorkle stolen from under a lounge chair at Princess Cay (I was in the water, DH was napping on an adjacent chair), I wouldn't leave anything unattended for one minute there. I think the OP was lucky she only had stuff "dripped on."

Does everyone not see how out of control this whole chair hog, chair police thing has gotten? I just wish people had some respect for others. I'm talking both sides here. My husband and I wanted to eat lunch together, not apart, I don't think thats the end of the world. We could easily argue the line took so long due to all the people in front of us getting food for those not in line. But, we didn't. I'm just saying for someone to say oh times up on your chair is unbelievable. On Princess Cays people are there for the day, unlike the pool deck on the ship, you don't have very far to go. It's an island! Everyone is in the same situation that day, one place to eat, that takes FOREVER. I don't believe we are giving up rights to our chairs by going to lunch. Next time we will go the the cays early, and when we are ready for lunch we will head back to the ship, therefore surrenderig our chairs

I thought, since you're at Princess Cays for the ENTIRE DAY, that once you got your chairs they were yours for the entire time you're on the island. Since when is there a time limit?

Unless the people who took the chairs were standing there with a stopwatch timing it, how would they know if the people were gone a half an hour or five minutes? They were wet so obviously they had come from the water, you can't tell me they had any idea how long the OP & husband were out of those chairs.

It's irrelevant whether the OP's were eating lunch or not. They could have been in the water swimming - or are people only allowed to swim for a set amount of time before someone else plops themselves down in their chairs?! You DO NOT sit down on someone else's chair on someone else's towels! That's beyond rude and it's inexcusable. The folks who did that are pigs, and had it been my chair I would have said "Yes I mind" and then I would have read them the riot act! :mad:

Does everyone not see how out of control this whole chair hog, chair police thing has gotten? I just wish people had some respect for others. I'm talking both sides here. My husband and I wanted to eat lunch together, not apart, I don't think thats the end of the world. We could easily argue the line took so long due to all the people in front of us getting food for those not in line. But, we didn't. I'm just saying for someone to say oh times up on your chair is unbelievable. On Princess Cays people are there for the day, unlike the pool deck on the ship, you don't have very far to go. It's an island! Everyone is in the same situation that day, one place to eat, that takes FOREVER. I don't believe we are giving up rights to our chairs by going to lunch. Next time we will go the the cays early, and when we are ready for lunch we will head back to the ship, therefore surrenderig our chairs

What's out of control is someone who places a book, towel, etc on a chair at 0600 and thinks that gives them the right to the chair (even if they're gone for hours) for the whole day.....

I don't stand around with a stopwatch, but if I'm near a pool or the ocean (PC) for any length of time where I note "long term unoccupied reserved chairs" I will move the items if I want to and use the chair. Why does that make me such a bad guy. I would think the person who actually believes he/she has the right to reserve an unoccupied chair, for the whole day, the problem

Bob

It's irrelevant whether the OP's were eating lunch or not. They could have been in the water swimming - or are people only allowed to swim for a set amount of time before someone else plops themselves down in their chairs?! You DO NOT sit down on someone else's chair on someone else's towels! That's beyond rude and it's inexcusable. The folks who did that are pigs, and had it been my chair I would have said "Yes I mind" and then I would have read them the riot act! :mad:

The problem is that a lot of people leave their towels behind on the chair, when they are done for the day. There's no way of knowing if anyone is coming back. Of course, the OP had a beach bag - so it was obvious they were coming back at some point. Just because there is a towel on a chair doesn't mean it has been claimed for the day.

Wow, what a thread... :rolleyes: First off, taking the passport off the ship is very questionable, as is leaving anything of value on the chair (ie camera). I'd call you fortunate that some unsavory person (yes, they vacation among us) didn't really ruin your day. :confused:

I can understand taking your passport on shore for most ports incase you get left behind for some reason and have to fly out. But on PC, its impossible to get left behind on the island.

Actually, yes, it is "her" chair for the duration that she reserved it, actually. I think it's patently ridiculous of some to say that you shouldn't have a spot to put your things while you're swimming. Does that mean

you should never be able to reserve anything, be it a train seat or

an airplane seat on southwest, which by the way, is open seating?

Using your theory, someone could effectively boot me out of my

plane seat on Southwest if I get up and go to the bathroom.

The OP didn't disappear for hours, and even if she did, so what?

First come, first served. Maybe you don't understand that Princess Cays

has thousands of chairs, some in better locations than others.

Therefore, there was no reason for those women to park their carcasses

on the OP's chair when there were probably plenty of other chairs,

albeit in less desirable areas, at the Cays.

Heck, sometimes it takes me 15 to 20 minutes in the restroom. Why

should my chair be forfeitted because of that?

Amen! Am I mistaken or aren't you allowed to be gone for 30 minutes, before the chair police remove you belongings. Makes you afraid to leave for any reason. What would be the difference if one stayed and watched the chair for the time you are gone. If you leave your articles on the chair and return in the 30 minute time limit, what is the difference.

OP... I appreciate the reminder for people to "Think."

Some people only THINK about themselves, which was these women.

I have only heard good things about Cays..........never heard about the wait times on some cruises, certainly does not sound inviting to me.

BTW..maybe it is from living in So Ca my whole life but we always split up when we see we will be waiting in line which is always. I do believe you have good reason to to eat together, I just never thought about it from your point of view.

OP... I appreciate the reminder for people to "Think."

Some people only THINK about themselves, which was these women.

I have only heard good things about Cays..........never heard about the wait times on some cruises certainly does not sound inviting to me.

BTW..maybe it is from living in So Ca my whole life but we always split up when we see we will be waiting in line which is always.

There's always a line for lunch, but if you avoid the traditional noon to 1pm time-frame it's really not that bad usually.

I have only heard good things about Cays..........never heard about the wait times on some cruises, certainly does not sound inviting to me.

BTW..maybe it is from living in So Ca my whole life but we always split up when we see we will be waiting in line which is always. I do believe you have good reason to to eat together, I just never thought about it from your point of view.

IMHO, Princess Cays is overcrowded with long lines for everything, from getting off the ship to the buffet. When I was there last, we went to get a tender ticket at 9:30am and didn't get on a tender until 11am. I suspect people were just heading down and getting on the tender rather than waiting for a ticket and no one was checking. By the time we got there, the only seats/chairs left were at the bar so we just went back to the ship. I don't think there's anything special or fun about Princess Cays whereas HAL's Half Moon Cay is far, far better and worth going to. LOTS of chairs, sand that feels like baby powder, lots of activities, etc. If you live in SoCal, you can go to a beach any time and have more fun. I enjoy staying on the ship and having it mostly to myself for the day.

IMHO, Princess Cays is overcrowded with long lines for everything, from getting off the ship to the buffet. When I was there last, we went to get a tender ticket at 9:30am and didn't get on a tender until 11am. I suspect people were just heading down and getting on the tender rather than waiting for a ticket and no one was checking. By the time we got there, the only seats/chairs left were at the bar so we just went back to the ship. I don't think there's anything special or fun about Princess Cays whereas HAL's Half Moon Cay is far, far better and worth going to. LOTS of chairs, sand that feels like baby powder, lots of activities, etc. If you live in SoCal, you can go to a beach any time and have more fun. I enjoy staying on the ship and having it mostly to myself for the day.

The last couple of times we stopped at Princess Cay we never left the ship. It was just about deserted onboard and since we live in Florida there's really nothing special to us about the beach. I haven't been to HAL's island, but I've been to Disney's Castaway Cay many times and that's a great and relaxing place.

What's out of control is someone who places a book, towel, etc on a chair at 0600 and thinks that gives them the right to the chair (even if they're gone for hours) for the whole day.....

Have you BEEN to Princess Cays? I have. You're expected to be there for the entire day, or at least for a majority of hours - that exactly what gives people the right to have their chairs for as long as they need them. The cruise line advertises it as a "beach day". It's not necessary to infringe on other people's chairs, it's not acceptable. I've never seen a shortage of chairs on the private islands. Maybe if those people had asked, they would have been provided with their OWN chairs.

I don't stand around with a stopwatch, but if I'm near a pool or the ocean (PC) for any length of time where I note "long term unoccupied reserved chairs" I will move the items if I want to and use the chair. Why does that make me such a bad guy. I would think the person who actually believes he/she has the right to reserve an unoccupied chair, for the whole day, the problem

If you think that's the problem, then you have no understanding of what the beach days at these private islands are about. Going over to someone's things while at Princess Cays, or any of the private islands, and removing them for your own usage, does indeed make you the "bad guy". Why should be pretty obvious.

Archived