Food allergy?

stroza

Can anyone tell me how Princess does with people with food allergys? My wife has celiac disease which is a wheat allergy and wheat is in almost EVERYTHING!! Also, what about cross contamination??

Thanks

Can anyone tell me how Princess does with people with food allergys? My wife has celiac disease which is a wheat allergy and wheat is in almost EVERYTHING!! Also, what about cross contamination??
My daughter is highly allergic to shellfish, even if it's something cooked near shellfish, and has never had a problem. It's easier if you have Traditional dining but it's do-able if you have Anytime. Just let the Maitre d' know and arrange to have bread and other food specially prepared. They need 24 hours' notice.

My daughter is highly allergic to shellfish, even if it's something cooked near shellfish, and has never had a problem. It's easier if you have Traditional dining but it's do-able if you have Anytime. Just let the Maitre d' know and arrange to have bread and other food specially prepared. They need 24 hours' notice.

Thanks, it's only on the MDR right? Is there more then 1 Maitre d'? And can I just tell them it's for everyday? And what about breakfast & lunch?

There was a lady on our last cruise who had very bad allergies to food. Every night the maitre d' would come and talk to her about the next night's menu. They would go over what she could and couldn't eat. It seemed like she always had a very nice meal.

My boyfriend who is going with me on a cruise on May 21st has Chrons Disease and must follow a lactose free diet. Following the directions on the Princess site we sent a letter to Princess. We gave them the date of the cruise and our booking number. Now I am wondering who we contact when we get on board to insure that they have soy milk products for him????

Has anyone experienced this before????

I have fish and seafood allergies, and went on my first cruise last year on Golden to Alaska. I notified the TA who made a note on my reservation.

We had Anytime dining, but the Maitre D' had me tell him each night I came to dinner and he sat us in the same area every night. He personally took my order, and had me order the next night's meal a day in advance. There is some fear for me going out to eat because of cross-contamination, but the care and concern I received gave me a lot of peace of mind for my meals. I never had any allergy issues at all.

I even went to the Cook's Table and received my own safe hors d'ouvres and meal! It meant a lot to me, how welcome and safe I was made to feel even with my special needs. Plus my husband got to try all those dishes he'll never get at home--lobster, escargot, cavier, fish, etc. It was wonderful!!!

I looked at the buffet, but it's way too risky for me, except maybe sandwiches and desserts. International Cafe provided delicious egg mcmuffins and treats for most breakfasts, and we were at ports most lunchtimes. It may be best to stick to salads, meats and fruits/veggies for those times.

I will always be grateful to Princess for accomodating me with dignity and respect. It is enough to make me think twice about cruising with any other line.

My boyfriend who is going with me on a cruise on May 21st has Chrons Disease and must follow a lactose free diet. Following the directions on the Princess site we sent a letter to Princess. We gave them the date of the cruise and our booking number. Now I am wondering who we contact when we get on board to insure that they have soy milk products for him????

Has anyone experienced this before????

See the Matre d' or a headwaiter in the dining room you have chosen.

Also, for this or any other special needs, the headwaiter will meet with you each evening with the menus (B,L,and D) for the following day and help you select foods which either meet the needs or can be prepared to meet the needs.

This list that is prepared will be kept according to your cabin number, so for B & L in the dining room and if you are in anytime and have a different waitstaff the next evening, they can locate the foods that you have asked to have that day.

If you are in anytime dining, I suggest using the same dining room each evening so you can work with the same headwaiter.

Although your waiter and assistant waiter cannot take these special orders, they should be made aware of your dietary restrictions so they do not try to give you inappropriate foods.

While they will try to identify items on the buffet that have different ingredients, cross contamination can and will be an issue if you are that sensitive, as they can't really control the serving utensils at all times. So expect to eat all 3 meals in the MDR. The specialty venues can also work with you.

Not sure on room service.

Thanks, it's only on the MDR right? Is there more then 1 Maitre d'? And can I just tell them it's for everyday? And what about breakfast & lunch?

My Dw has pretty bad food allergies, crustaceans, chocolate, and corn in its many guises. We cruise quite a bit as they are very willing and able to handle these concerns.

Once on board go and see the Maitre'd, they will be busy with people changing tables, groups, times etc. but they will accommodate you. You will see them again and order your next evenings meal at the conclusion of the previous meal.

There are also revolving Maitre'd's in the buffet and MDR for breakfast and lunch. Ask for them to assist you and your food will be fine. If you give them a chance you'll end up happy you are cruising. Regards, DaveM

I keep myself in Traditional dining and if forced to eat in Horizon Court due to late shore excursions eat plain salad and fruit .

Mine is no salt and a allergy to MSG.

Princess has been wonderful towards myself bringing the next days lunch and diner menus to me the evening before.Most items I pick even yummy lobster

are OK'd for me.

You will have no dietary problems.

I have read from a previous post the Princess has a separate area in their kitchen were our special meals are prepared.....:)

I have Celiac Disease and have never had a problem with my diet on any of the Princess cruises.

The baking staff accommodate my gluten free/wheat free bread in the MDR and the waitstaff always explain any ingredients, i.e., herb crusted lamb. The dining staff made sure my lamb was not crusted.

Princess does an excellent job in their dietary food preparation.

We usually travel with a group of 8-10 friends, and one of them has celiac disease. He notified the matire'd about his allergy and every night he was presented with the next night's menu so he could be assured of having a gluten free meal. They were very accommodating and helpful...I'm sure they deal with this kind of thing all the time.

Archived