Credit Card usage in port

beaglesails

We're heading to the Eastern Carib soon, and I'm wondering how to pay for various things in port. I understand that some shops and street vendors will be cash only, but am hoping to use a CC more often than not. Is that a bad idea?

Also, what should I be asking our CC company before the cruise regarding international transaction fees and other things I might not be aware of.

Also, more places in those areas take Visa or Amex?

Thanks!

I personally think its a terrible idea, unless its a large expensive jewelry shop with a reputation. I just read yet another story where someone's cc # was stolen and $9000 charged in a port. The laws protecting you that you know of only cover purchases in the U.S... but they will try their best.

I use cash and barter, even smaller jewelry stores barter. You will also be charged a fee for foreign transactions.

I personally think its a terrible idea, unless its a large expensive jewelry shop with a reputation. I just read yet another story where someone's cc # was stolen and $9000 charged in a port. The laws protecting you that you know of only cover purchases in the U.S... but they will try their best.

I use cash and barter, even smaller jewelry stores barter. You will also be charged a fee for foreign transactions.

I didn't know that. Thank you! Yes, that changes my plan.

Am Ex is widely accepted in the Caribbean but now and then we find a place that only takes M/C or Visa. We carry both for that reason... our preference is AmEx.

Identity theft can happen anywhere and we all know how much of it exists. That being said, we have used CC's in the Caribbean for 35+ years and thus far (thankfully and fingers crossed) have had no problems. No reason to expect any more an issue there than anywhere else in the world including the corner market near your house.

Outdoor markets and tourist souvenir type table sales are almost always cash only.

Bring small bills as they might have to make change in local currency if you don't have close to correct amount.

We have had problems using credit cards in the Caribbean/Mexico. But not just there. A few times problems arose after purchases made within the United States. Because my travel companions are flight crew members and travel abroad often, perhaps we have had more than our fair share of fraudulent charges on credit cards (all of which the banks refunded as we check accounts often). But it is a hassle that we no longer wish to deal with/risk. Hence, we always use cash when in ports-of-call.

Any credit card issued in the US worth carrying promises zero liability for fraud in this day. So what if $9000 is charged? You won't be paying it. Just use a different card than your monthly autopay bills get charged to and dealing with any fraud is relatively easy.

Credit card fraud isn't identity theft...

And lets not forget exchange fees. You will want to find out what your credit card company will charge you for exchange.

It's the main reason I have a Capital One card. They do not charge exchange fees.

I take both ashore. I use cash at the smaller crafts type areas, ones & tens; but I use my credit card at any of the brick & mortar stores. So far (knock on wood), I've never had an identify theft issue come up, nor have I had my credit card purchase refused by my bank, and I've used it all over the Caribbean, Mexico Costa Rica, etc.

We always take 2 credit cards....one for our shipboard account...one for any purchases we might make (and we generally don't buy much, if at all!)....The one linked to the shipboard account stays locked in the safe on the ship....just in case something happens, that account is protected! The other card is for any non-cash purchases. We use cash for misc. things and low-priced items. If we (and I mean, ME!) fall in love with something more expensive, we will use the 2nd credit card to purchase it....so we don't have to rely on bundles of cash!

We do notify our credit card companies when we are out of the country....so they'll know it's US using the cards!!!!

And lets not forget exchange fees. You will want to find out what your credit card company will charge you for exchange.

It's the main reason I have a Capital One card. They do not charge exchange fees.

All credit cards charge exchange fees. it may not be an add-on fee, but you'll find the buy & sell rates are different by about 3% points depending on which way you transfer the money, and that's how they make their money.

Don't believe me? Compare the rate on your credit card bill, with the official exchange rates on something like finance.yahoo.com and you'll see the difference.

However, the small premium you'll pay on your credit card (3%), is still likely to be better than the large premium (10-20%) you'll pay by using US$ cash outside of the United States.

I have used cards ashore without incidence. Everywhere I purchased from charged in US dollars, so no extra fees. I definitely also took $$ ashore, but sometimes not enough. I would take 50% more cash ashore than you think you'll need.

I agree with Sherilyn, before we travel, I will get 2 or 3 pre-paid debit cards with about $500 on each one. I will take one of them when I get off the ship (although I use a regular credit card for the sign and sail). I addition to limiting the possible loss, it also limits my ability to spend, and helps me keep within my budget

I just dislike carrying a lot of cash with me, usually I will have $20-40 in cash when I get off the ship

We're heading to the Eastern Carib soon, and I'm wondering how to pay for various things in port. I understand that some shops and street vendors will be cash only, but am hoping to use a CC more often than not. Is that a bad idea?

Also, what should I be asking our CC company before the cruise regarding international transaction fees and other things I might not be aware of.

Also, more places in those areas take Visa or Amex?

Thanks!

You are taking a risk.

Just bring cash!

Yes, theft issues can be resolved, but what a pain to have to deal with.

Archived