Veendam's "Nose Job"

Aim1

thanks for the pictures

why does she have to have major repair to the bow?

I believe because she was in a major storm off Chile some months ago. I remember a thread about the storm. If the damage was big enough to do this it is surprising she continued sailing around Cape Horn several more times.

I believe because she was in a major storm off Chile some months ago. I remember a thread about the storm. If the damage was big enough to do this it is surprising she continued sailing around Cape Horn several more times.

I think thats what it is: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=28806977

Yes, from what my other half has told me it had a LOT of damage, twisted and buckled etc.

They are doing a similar thing to the Grand, albeit not as large a chunk being cut away though.

Here's a couple of the Grand.....don't shoot me for it not being a HAL ship!

IMG00559-20110418-2002.jpg

IMG00560-20110418-2002.jpg

IMG00538-20110415-1917.jpg

I don't know if he has any of the 'bum' end, as he's not been working on Veendam. He's working on Maasdam and sleeping on the Grand so he probably took these as he walked past on his way to work!

You got it!

Yes, from what my other half has told me it had a LOT of damage, twisted and buckled etc.

They are doing a similar thing to the Grand, albeit not as large a chunk being cut away though.

Here's a couple of the Grand.....don't shoot me for it not being a HAL ship!

IMG00559-20110418-2002.jpg

IMG00560-20110418-2002.jpg

IMG00538-20110415-1917.jpg

I don't know if he has any of the 'bum' end, as he's not been working on Veendam. He's working on Maasdam and sleeping on the Grand so he probably took these as he walked past on his way to work!

i don't mind the pictures of the grand princess as we sailed on her a couple of times

thank you both for the information

Great pictures of the work being done on the bows of Veendam and Grand P. Thank you to whoever posted them!

Looks like both ships took a bit of a pounding, but Veendam's restructuring work is definitely a lot more significant..."skin", framing, etc. Wow!

I got this picture a couple of months ago of a friend. According to him it is the Veendam.

240022584_VeendamWave(1).jpg.6c8863f00f956af8271b5d646289606b.jpg

No wonder Miss Veendam needed Nasal Surgery.

Has anyone viewed the video of Miss Grand having the tall lump on her rear removed(Skywalkers)? Very interesting to watch....Karen

Read that the Captain said it was the worst sailing conditions he had experienced in his 30 years on the sea. So although posters have reported that the sea conditions in that area can be "interesting" it probably was a unique set of circumstances to bring about those extreme conditions.

The reassuring factor is that the ship came out the other end of the storm with just some big dents on the bow.

Posters who have experienced this cruise, your input would be appreciated.

Dear Veendam:

I want to extend my sincere apologies for your "nip and tuck" being featured..

As we all get older, there are times we need a "replacement" or a "lift"

Please know that once you return, you may just tell us that "you were out of commission for awhile and getting a much needed rest, and that's why you look so fresh!"

or

You may tell us "oh, it's just a new wash and oil I am using now, that's why I look years longer... a nose job?? no way.."

Your secret is safe with us :D

Archived