14 day cruise or back to back

marbo40

i don't know whether to book a cruise for next year on the grand as a 14 day cruise or else break it up into back to back. i would receive credit for taking 2 cruises vs 1 is the reason for chosing back to back. what do you think?

Yes, if you booked back-to-back you would receive two credits.

The thing to do is price them out and see how it works out, and see if OBCs make a difference.

We took our first cruise in March of this year, can someone please explain to me what "back to back" cruising is and how this works. I keep reading about it and think I know what they mean, but I'm not sure.

Thanks for any info

Texmex

As posted, the $$$ make the difference. Price out the 2 cruises separately and figure in any OBC you might get (Stockholders, Military, TA, FCC, etc) and the final dollar amount will tell you.

I usually find it is cheaper to book as one cruise, but I know others will say the opposite....so do the math for yourself and you will know what to do.

Good luck

We took our first cruise in March of this year, can someone please explain to me what "back to back" cruising is and how this works. I keep reading about it and think I know what they mean, but I'm not sure.

Thanks for any info

Texmex

Just as the name implies, a back-to-back (b2b) cruise stops and starts on the same ship on the same day. Eg: You sail the first week to the Eastern Caribbean (and end in Ft. Lauderdale). Then, you stay on the ship and sail the second week to the Western Caribbean. Hence, you have done two cruises on one ship.

You get different menus and different shows on a 14 day. I prefer a 14 day because I think a back to back is a hassle. I am already a platinum, so don't care about number of cruises anymore.

I have a feeling that the OP is talking about booking the ship as 2 separate 7 day cruises, rather than booking it as one 14 day cruise.

As already stated, the OBC for fcc and stock will be different if booking it as a 14 vs a 7. If you have the 4 fcc then you can get the credit applied to both and maybe then it will be worth it. WE had only 2 fcc and we did the Star for 20 night cruise vs the 2 cruises booked as 10. We did not have the FCC to cover the second one so we took the 20 and enjoyed the greater OBC that we got. I do not really care about the credits earned. The only good thing in the elite is free laundry and if I really needed it, it is cheap enough to do on board.

IF there is a 14 night cruise that is not a 7 +7 that you are putting together you will enjoy different entertainment and different menus. If you do the 7+ 7 cruise even if it is billed as the 14 you will have a 7 night menu which repeats, and the same shows. The headliner acts will not differ much either.

As already stated, the OBC for fcc and stock will be different if booking it as a 14 vs a 7. If you have the 4 fcc then you can get the credit applied to both and maybe then it will be worth it. WE had only 2 fcc and we did the Star for 20 night cruise vs the 2 cruises booked as 10. We did not have the FCC to cover the second one so we took the 20 and enjoyed the greater OBC that we got. I do not really care about the credits earned. The only good thing in the elite is free laundry and if I really needed it, it is cheap enough to do on board.

IF there is a 14 night cruise that is not a 7 +7 that you are putting together you will enjoy different entertainment and different menus. If you do the 7+ 7 cruise even if it is billed as the 14 you will have a 7 night menu which repeats, and the same shows. The headliner acts will not differ much either.

I hope it's not just me, but what are you talking about? fcc etc.

i don't know whether to book a cruise for next year on the grand as a 14 day cruise or else break it up into back to back. i would receive credit for taking 2 cruises vs 1 is the reason for chosing back to back. what do you think?

Depends on the price difference and/or perks. If it's a back to back, you may have to change cabins with your first port return, but credit for 2 cruises. I believe one gets a credit for each individual cruise whether it's a 3 nighter, 7 nighter etc., that's how people get status built quickly.

Forgot to mention - doesn't matter if you book it b2b or as a 14 dayer....they may be going to different ports on each leg, but can almost guarantee the food menus and shows/entertainment will be the same on each leg, no matter how you book it.

It will be considered 2 separate cruises and you may have to get a new cruise card for the 2nd 7 days; got more internet minutes; rolled over our billing; etc....just like another entire cruise. That is what happened on a 29 day cruise we just did that was also sold as a 14 and 15 day cruises....so don't be shocked if this happens.

Also, if you book for b2b - be sure you get the same cabin the entire time...real hassle to change cabins mid cruise...

Not sure if this matters to you but I learned on our last "longer cruise" that the average age of the passengers seems to go up significantly with the length of the cruise. I am sure younger people with families can often only take the 1 week cruises.

We are in our 50's but we felt like the majority of people were significantly older than us on our 10 day cruise this winter. We would probably do a B2B from now on.

You get different menus and different shows on a 14 day. I prefer a 14 day because I think a back to back is a hassle. I am already a platinum, so don't care about number of cruises anymore.

The only problem with this is that Princess will be changing soon so that some cruises, although they can be booked as one 14 day sailing, are actually two 7 day cruises back to back. Which will mean repeats of the menu and 99% of the entertainment. As for Caribbean cruises, I don't think there are any 14 day cruises that can only be booked as 14 days coming out soon.

We did the 14 day cruise on the Grand this January. Wonderful cruise, 2nd only to the Alaska cruise/tour on our personal list. You get to more islands, and longer in some, as you only have to get from and to Ft. Lauderdale one time. As far as credit toward your Captain's Circle, remember that it is now "days" or "cruises", so you WILL get full credit for the 14 days, same as two 7-day cruises.

We would do it again in a heartbeat!

And as far as "older passengers", we find that any longer cruise tends to increase the age. But so what? - there will be mighty few 30-somethings who could keep up with some of us. I remember a lady dancing every night - she must have been mid-80s and never stopped dancing!!

Footnote: that cruise had mostly Canadians and Brits. That made it even more special!!

We did the 14 day cruise on the Grand this January. Wonderful cruise, 2nd only to the Alaska cruise/tour on our personal list. You get to more islands, and longer in some, as you only have to get from and to Ft. Lauderdale one time. As far as credit toward your Captain's Circle, remember that it is now "days" or "cruises", so you WILL get full credit for the 14 days, same as two 7-day cruises.

Unfortunately, Princess is doing away with a true 14 day Caribbean cruise. I had been looking to go on a 14 day cruise in 2012. But there isn't one. The Grand will be doing a b2b instead, alternating 7 day cruises. Yet, they're booking it as a 14 day. Very disappointing. The true 14 day the Grand used to do looked like a fabulous itinerary.

Thanks for any info

Texmex

Just as the name implies, a back-to-back (b2b) cruise stops and starts on the same ship on the same day. Eg: You sail the first week to the Eastern Caribbean (and end in Ft. Lauderdale). Then, you stay on the ship and sail the second week to the Western Caribbean. Hence, you have done two cruises on one ship.

We've done several B2B's and pick a ship that has 10 to 14 day cruises with "different" itineraries so we aren't doing the same cruise over and we book the same cabin for both segments. We prefer the "longer" cruises as we have a long journey to get to a ship from Alberta so B2B's work really well for us! Last Feb/11 we did a B2B "changing ships" for the first time. Worked like a charm but I prefer a B2B on the same ship so there's "no packing" between cruises. But if we have to change ships in the future for a B2B to access a different itinerary I'm okay with that. We love B2B cruises!! :D

Pat :)

just wanted to say thank you for giving me alot of advice. there is a price difference for the same cabin where its several hundreds cheaper if we do the 14 day vs the back to back. but we have fcc plus we are platinum so will have to consder the free computer time too. anyway you have helped me alot so thank you all again.

Not sure if this matters to you but I learned on our last "longer cruise" that the average age of the passengers seems to go up significantly with the length of the cruise. I am sure younger people with families can often only take the 1 week cruises.

The OP's question was about two 7 day cruises that could be booked as one 14 day cruise.

Therefore, the 14 day total length will not affect the average age of the passengers as the great majotrity of passengers will only be on for one of the 7 day segments.

I hope it's not just me, but what are you talking about? fcc etc.

FCC = Future Cruise Credit (also known as FCD, Futuere Cruise Deposit). While on a Princess cruise you can but one or more FCCs ($100 if USA or Canadian). The FCC allows you to book a future cruise (either at the time you buy the FCC or after you return home) within four years and the $100 is your total downpayment for that cruise for one person. If you do not use the FCC within four years, it is refunded to your credit card. In addition, when you do that that future cruise, you will receive an onboard credit of from $25 to $150 depending on the length of the cruise and if it is an inside or outside cabin. So, you get your $100 back as part payment for that future cruise plus some free money to spend onboard that future cruise.

OBC = On Board Credit. This is money that will be in your inboard account and can be used for charges to that account, for example shore excursions and boutique purchases. There are several sources of OBC. OBC from the FCC was described above. Princess also awards OBC to active and retired miliary from some countries. Travel agents often give OBC as an incentive to book with them. Users of the Princess credit card can earn OBC with use of the card. etc.

We've done several B2B's and pick a ship that has 10 to 14 day cruises with "different" itineraries so we aren't doing the same cruise over and we book the same cabin for both segments. We prefer the "longer" cruises as we have a long journey to get to a ship from Alberta so B2B's work really well for us! Last Feb/11 we did a B2B "changing ships" for the first time. Worked like a charm but I prefer a B2B on the same ship so there's "no packing" between cruises. But if we have to change ships in the future for a B2B to access a different itinerary I'm okay with that. We love B2B cruises!! :D

Pat :)

Pat:

Not only did we do a B2B and changed ships.... we changed cruise LINES! :eek: It actually was fun, and we enjoyed several different experiences in a two week span. Made for an interesting trip! :)

Unfortunately, Princess is doing away with a true 14 day Caribbean cruise. I had been looking to go on a 14 day cruise in 2012. But there isn't one. The Grand will be doing a b2b instead, alternating 7 day cruises. Yet, they're booking it as a 14 day. Very disappointing. The true 14 day the Grand used to do looked like a fabulous itinerary.

Yes, we have heard that. It's a shame, as the 14-day Southern Caribbean was a FABULOUS cruise. 2 "at-sea" days on each end, and lots of beautiful islands in the middle. Really liked Barbados, Curacao and St. John (tour out of St. Thomas). It would be more economical for Princess, I would think, as they wouldn't burn expensive fuel coming all the way back to Ft. Lauderdale in the middle.

Archived