Maasdam renovation - New Stateroom cabins?

NikkiOh

It is my understanding all cabins on Maasdam got new bedspreads, curtains, carpets and the like and the bathrooms in all cabins were redone.

Shampoo, conditioner and bath gel bottle dispensers were to be installed in all showers/tubs to eliminate all the small bottles previously used.

The facebook photo link shows Maasdam public room "changes" much like what was done to the Statendam - nothing particularly signature at all to make the Maasdam, the Maasdam. I am so disappointed. But orchid, chartreuse and tangerine never did it for me to start out with. Dress accordingly.

The Statendam was okay, but I was just hoping there would be something more unique about the Maasdam showing HAL was moving more towards elegant, timeless good taste than backwards to Las Vegas. Or maybe make that Atlantic City Trump Towers. .......:(:(:(

A week from tomorrow I will see the "newly renovated" Maasdam first hand. I was hoping someone currently on her would be posting but have not found any such posts (possibly due to the slowness of the site).

Can you imagine anyone on a cruise trying to deal with the ship's internet and the cruise critic problems at the same time? probably why we have not heard.

Hope you will share with us either on your cruise or when you return.

Have a wonderful time. Smooth sailing :)

I received one photo of bathroom while in the midst of renovation and it looks like the counter top is a charcoal gray color. What I saw of it looked modern and updated coloring. Of course, without seeing the decorating of the rest of the suite/cabin, it's hard to know how it all comes together.

The facebook photo link shows Maasdam public room "changes" much like what was done to the Statendam - nothing particularly signature at all to make the Maasdam, the Maasdam. I am so disappointed. But orchid, chartreuse and tangerine never did it for me to start out with. Dress accordingly.

The Statendam was okay, but I was just hoping there would be something more unique about the Maasdam showing HAL was moving more towards elegant, timeless good taste than backwards to Las Vegas. Or maybe make that Atlantic City Trump Towers. .......:(:(:(

I agree. The color scheme in The Mix does absolutely nothing for me either. Nor the "velvet" fabric...or whatever it is. In my mind, the Maasdam should be decorated with a more classic and timeless feeling, too.

Sheila, I agree. Could someone point me in the direction of the Facebook link? Can't find it. Thanks.

So far the new Maadam photos look pretty much exactly like the new Statendam for the MIX: http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-onboard/Statendam;jsessionid=584C7CA7DED0AAFA8277D54E261EFEB4 :(

Were they supposed to do something to the Main Dining Room? I certainly hope they didn't touch that gorgeous ceiling!@!!!!@!@!@!@

Maybe new chairs/carpets/curtains? I know there are some window moldings that need some 'touching up'. I'm sure I'll notice if they got attention. There are two spots I always notice.

The Maasdam ceiling in the MDR is beautiful so I also hope they left it alone.

The pictures of the carpet in the upper show lounge make me a bit dizzy. Guess I'll have to sit downstairs.

Can you imagine replacing all those lovely fluted Italian glass light fixtures with energy-efficient corkscrew light bulbs? :p

On top of being unsightly, I read recently that those bulbs are toxic.

Why that reminds me of a Basque dinner I once hand in Fresno! :p Or, the inflight meal I once had on Mongolian Airlines. Seriously.

Seriously..... ;)

Many delicatessans sell sliced tongue in their 'cold cut' case.

Can you imagine replacing all those lovely fluted Italian glass light fixtures with energy-efficient corkscrew light bulbs? :p

Oh I hope not - we are going on her for the first time - and I am so hoping she will still have some of the elegance I observed when we booked :rolleyes:

Oh I hope not - we are going on her for the first time - and I am so hoping she will still have some of the elegance I observed when we booked :rolleyes:

Gulp ....., well maybe we can see if Princess Anne's dress and hat she wore to the Royal Wedding is up for grabs to fit right in to the new MIX color scheme for formal night. :eek: (Meow) http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/w0Q4APgr96e/Royal+Wedding+Carriage+Procession+Buckingham/t-Fq0zUASG7/Princess+Anne

• 11 months later...
On top of being unsightly, I read recently that those bulbs are toxic.

As to toxicity ... it's not like being exposed to asbestos in your home or any other building. But, like all other fluorescents, CFL's should be disposed of properly and not sent to landfill. Well, and batteries, for instance, shouldn't go to landfills either ... but I wouldn't call a AAA battery toxic.

CFL's have mercury inside of them. If they break the contents are toxic. Over time mercury slowly evaporates -- the fumes are extremely toxic -- a neuro poison that is persistent and accumulative in your body ( small amounts collect over time ) -- so over the long term you can start to exhibit symptoms of poisoning.

Where did the phrase "mad scientist" come from you might ask? Many years ago any real scientist spent time closed up in an unventilated lab with many sources of mercury in open containers -- and over time they were slowly poisoned.

What about the character we all remember from Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass -- "the mad hatter"? In the times of Lewis Carroll the hatting industry used a methyl mercury based glue to glue the felt in hats. Typically the hat production took place in unventilated quarters and the organic based methyl mercury in the glue is much more rapidly absorbed by the body -- a neuro toxin that tended to make those in the hatting industry rather " mad".

Sorry, this is somewhat off topic from this thread but I couldn't resist.

Archived