Save money on shore excursions? How???

I keep reading about people saving money by booking their own cruise excursions and not using the excursions offered by the cruise ship. We are going on an Eastern Caribbean cruise in October (CocoCay Bahamas, St. Thomas, and St. Maarten). I don't even know where to begin to find information for these ports.

How do you plan your own shore excursion? How do you know if you can trust the companies you are booking through? How do you manage your time so you don't miss the ship?

At least when booking through the cruise line all these details are pretty much taken care of...

Help please! Thanks :)

I keep reading about people saving money by booking their own cruise excursions and not using the excursions offered by the cruise ship. We are going on an Eastern Caribbean cruise in October (CocoCay Bahamas, St. Thomas, and St. Maarten). I don't even know where to begin to find information for these ports.

How do you plan your own shore excursion? How do you know if you can trust the companies you are booking through? How do you manage your time so you don't miss the ship?

At least when booking through the cruise line all these details are pretty much taken care of...

Help please! Thanks

There are all kinds of ways to save on shore excursions. Probably the place to start would be in the Ports of Call section here on Cruise Critic. Peope here and on TripAdvisor post their experiences with private companies. Do some research on your ports. Don't worry about your tour getting back too late. Tour operators will do everything in their power to get you back to the ship on time. Their reputation depends on it.

I can highly recommend Bernard's Tour in St. Maarten. Taxi tours offered at the port in St. Thomas are a good way to sightsee. It's easy to catch a ride to the beaches and downtown shopping at that port too. You don't really need a shore excursion at CocoCay unless you want to do the waverunners or parasail. The beach is beautiful.

Help please! Thanks :)

i agree with grannycb. we did our first cruise last year in the meditteranean. we did all our own tours and they were fabulous. i found out about each port under ports of call, on cruise critic, i took the advise of well traveled cruisers and then followed it up by checking our the details on tripadvisor. by the time i booked the tours, i was very comfortable that i had made the right decisions. Relax and enjoy your holiday, don't be conned into doing the tours on board like a pack of sheep! Nakink

We save a ton by doing tours ourselves. Roam around the boards to get ideas.

In St Thomas we took the Red Hook Ferry over to St John and rented a Jeep there...drove around the island ourselves visiting the sugar cane mill, having lunch at Skinny Legs and just stopped at a beach for a swim. We were able to do whatever we wished for much cheaper.

Last time in St Thomas we used Sunny Liston and that was nice...but kinda prefer to do our own thing (we aren't so much into shopping). He was good but we had to go with the crowd per se.

Also check tripadvisor for reviews. That seems to help me alot.

when your in st thomas you can look online to get excursion to jost van dyke (white bay) .if you like a casual day on beach with very friendly people and direct waterfront beach bars you will love this. can't wait to return in november.

We save a ton by doing tours ourselves. Roam around the boards to get ideas.

I totally agree. My mother has cruised much more than I, but had always used the ship's tour. So when I took her to Hawaii she was kinda freaking out about not using the ship tours. I had to convince her that we weren't going to miss the ship, that I knew where we were going, how to get there, and what we were going to do. But after two days in port, she was so into it. She could not believe how much more fun we had and how well it all worked (thanks to CC as usual). We saved hundreds of dollars between helicopter adventures over the volcano, going to Volcano National Park, and driving the road to Hana.

The last cruise we did was the first time we booked some excursions on our own. I used the port of call section on this forum to see recommendations and websites of tour operators.

It seems like the larger your group the more you save doing these on your own. On an upcoming cruise we're doing the ship is doing a tour that is $60 pp. A highly rated tour operator will do the same tour for $180 for up to six people (more private / van holds six vs. large bus). I have five people in by group who are interested, so bascially two go for free. I might get one other person to join us too.

Sometimes the price isn't that much different and in that case it's more or less which one sounds better to you. On your own tours are usually smaller and more private, but the ones the ship does are usually pretty well done too.

It was interesting, though, one tour place I called won't book people that are on a cruise on their own. Their bread and butter are the cruise industry and they only book people on their own staying in the area.

I'm sold though after getting referral on this forum that it's really easy to do your own booking, so now always look to see what's there before just doing something with the ship.

After our first cruise, I started reading CC, and how to save money on shore excursions. I get most of my information from the ports of call section, and also research the ports through trip advisor and all the information that can be obtained on the web. It does take time to do the research, but I am a planner. To me, a lot of fun goes into the planning of the cruise and the shore excursions, and it really helps to add to the hype of the pre-cruise stage.

By doing research, you will find alot of information on the ports, and what you like to do. You can take the reviews from many cruisers that have experienced those excursions and decide if it is a right fit for you or not.

It all depends on what your family likes to do. You can plan something on an island (port of call) and not need to do an "excursion". Simply take a taxi to where you want to go.

If you go to even individual port of call on this board, you can spend days searching and deciding where you want to go and what you want to do. The people on here are extremely helpful and full of information.

We went to St Martin and St Thomas last year. If you are interested in my reviews from those ports, here they are:

St Martin: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=26322154#post26322154

St Thomas: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1280889

Enjoy and there are tons of pictures too.

There are all kinds of ways to save on shore excursions. Probably the place to start would be in the Ports of Call section here on Cruise Critic. Peope here and on TripAdvisor post their experiences with private companies. Do some research on your ports. Don't worry about your tour getting back too late. Tour operators will do everything in their power to get you back to the ship on time. Their reputation depends on it.

I can highly recommend Bernard's Tour in St. Maarten. Taxi tours offered at the port in St. Thomas are a good way to sightsee. It's easy to catch a ride to the beaches and downtown shopping at that port too. You don't really need a shore excursion at CocoCay unless you want to do the waverunners or parasail. The beach is beautiful.

Do you know of any groups for excursions that does the new Englad/Canada?

Joining your Roll Call for your cruise can also be a good move. We have done several tours with other couples on our roll calls. It some ports it will be cheaper to arrange transport for a group of six or 8 to a beach than it would be for all of the individual couples to pay for taxis.

What I like with independent touring is that it allows you to determine the itinerary. For example, on St. Thomas most organized tours will take you sightseeing and then to a beach. We found it worked much better to go to the beach first and then leave when the crowds and sun got to be too much in the early afternoon. Check out the itineraries of ship sponsored tours and try doing your sightseeing in reverse order. (whether you just catch a cab or arrange a private tour).

Have fun!

We mainly do beaches at Caribbean ports....a guidebook can be your very best investment....(and libraries have them at no charge!!!)

Figure out what you enjoy, look it up in the guidebook, and have at it. Very few things require an excursion, if you have the info.

It's the folks who have no idea where they're going, or what there is to do there that end up spending tons on excursions...ship's or otherwise!

Another source is the excursions offered by the ship. I am not recommending them, but they will give you ideas of places to go that the line has found passenger want to visit. Once you get an idea of where you want to go, decide if you can do it on your own (ie, walk, take a bus, taxi, etc.). If you just want to go to a beach, you do not need a guide. Many museums provide enough info to tour on your own.

I fully agree with all the Caribbean info posters. We have gotten great deals on snorkel etc, independent of the cruise ship's offerings. HOWEVER, I BELIEVE ALASKA IS DIFFERENT. Except for some smaller vehicle or boats, the independently booked prices for most Alasakan excursions are about exactly what the cruise line charges. Many of the internet offerings are through brokers who simply take the cruise line's cut for themselves. SHOP. COMPARE, & SHOP AGAIN>

We are experienced cruisers and I agree with everything I have read on this thread. We do our research on Cruise Critic and Trip Advisor and also check our AAA book. For us the very best part of doing your own is being in a small van and being able to talk to the tour guide personally. You can ask the questions you want and get an answer, you are with a very small group, and can personalize some of the tour. And yes, we also use ship tours too. The last one being a snorkeling trip in Aruba. We were in port a very short time and we just walked off our ship to the catamaran and left all worry's behind.

All ship tours are ripoffs. They mark up local tours 30-50%. You're in a mob of 50-60 people. You can't hear the guides when walking and you have to rush to keep up with the guides. The tours are very short and a good part of the time is in shops which give them kickbacks. Actually you can go out and get offers on the dock for tours. You can BARGAIN with taxis for the day. Verify their English by asking questions. How many children do you have, etc.?

I can highly recommend Bernard's Tour in St. Maarten. Taxi tours offered at the port in St. Thomas are a good way to sightsee. It's easy to catch a ride to the beaches and downtown shopping at that port too.

I agree 100%. They (Bernard's tours) are reliable, honest, friendly and flexible.

I actually find it amazing how many people book through the ship. Our cruise in October stops in Grand Cayman. Carnival offers a Stingray City and Coral Reef excursion for $65 per person. It is a 3-hour excursion which includes transporation, food for the stingrays, and snorkeling equipment, but no food or beverages. You will share your excursion with 75 or more other guests.

I booked an almost identical excursion through Frank's Watersports. It's 3.5 hours long and includes everything that Carnival included PLUS unlimited rum punch, soft drinks, and snacks. The cost is $35 per person and the groups are 20 or less.

I have done the first two tours & it has been LOVELY...

Here are some ideas.

On Kauai we did a 7 hour 4X4 movie tour location tour that included lunch on Elvis' beaches. At the time it was $110 per person, but rather than a $250 helicopter ride over the mountain we actually walked down the road in the valley where they filmed Jurassic Park, swung on the swing over the water from Indiana Jones & many many more locations! Plus we were on with only 6 other people. AMAZZZING!

hawaiimovietour dot com

In Samana, Dominican Republic we did Terry's Tour #2 $65 for 5 hrs total. Forget about being forced to book a cruise excursion that does not accept direct bookings unless you are on the ship. Now THAT is being herded like cattle! Imagine having your OWN BEACH TO YOURSELF plus a freshly caught grilled fish & chicken lunch! Although the ride was a bumpy one (the country is primitive) the beach was pristine & breathtaking!!! (there were 8 people on our tour & 15 people on the beach.... That's IT! I have heard many amazing things & reviews are wonderful for Terry's other tours. TERRY HIMSELF will come greet you at the port! There are quite a few exciting tours to choose from.

http://www.toursamanawithterry dot com/

In St. Maarten we have taken a local cab to Bikini Beach which in on the North End of Orient Beach on the French side. Great food, beautiful surf. A little bit of nudity (perhaps one topless person walking by for every 15-10 people) but not offended. Clean restrooms in the area.

Also in St. Maarten my friends have used: Great tour, wisely priced, safe & fun with Bernard! http://bernardstours.shoreadventures dot net/

In St. Lucia I have not been, but many people on my current roll call are doing using this tour co. http://www.cosol-tours dot com

In Curacao -- Many folks on my current roll call have already toured & are rebooking with Henry "LEO" Plaate. We have reserved the services "Leo", a well-known Curacao native who conducts tours of the island. We have used Leo's services in the past and have been very pleased. Leo is professional, very knowledgeable, easy to work with, his vehicles are safe and modern, and his prices are reasonable. He will customize the day's itinerary to whatever we, as a group, decide we want to see and do, plus suggest places that are interesting but may be "off the map" to a casual tourist. He will even let us split up for part of the day (so some can go snorkeling while others go shopping, for example). Quite a few cruisers booked for this sailing went on the "Leo tour" in November 2009 as part of Grandeur's fall repositioning from Baltimore to Tampa.

If you are interested, please contact him for ideas & any specific things you's like to do and see in Curacao. Later on, we'll settle on an itinerary, get final pricing, etc. Plan on $50-70 USD/person for the day, plus money for food, shopping, etc. for a 5-6 hour tour.

leo@interneeds DOT net

I also keep hearing about shoretrips DOT com This company is a broker for local tour companies. I have heard that sometimes it's the same thing because you have to pay the "middle man" so the pricing may turn out to be the same, but there are also many tours that may not be typically offered by the cruise lines. It's up to you. I know many who have used them, but not have had the privilege myself. You may try looking THEM up on Trip Advisor as well.

I just purchased the latest Frommers Guide books for Cruise Ports of Call. It lists their favorite cruise excursions & also lists things to do on your own & off the beaten path. Many people are now into GEOCACHING. This is a great place to start & research!

Just remember ONE THING..... If something should happen & you are late on a cruise run excursion, the ship will wait. If you are on an independent tour...... You're STUCK.

Hope this helps! :D Happy Cruising!

We have gotten so used to booking our own shore excursion that we only book a ship excursion if there is no other option. Getting involved in your roll call is the best way to get informed on what's available since you have a lot of people doing the research.

When we were in Hawaii on the NCL Pride of America, we took the $29 PP round trip transportation to the Port city of LaHaina. We had previously made reservations online with the Save the Whales foundation to go whale watching for better than 1/2 what the shore excursion desk was charging. When we got to the dock, we found it was the same tour offered on the ship and we had many of our ship mates on the boat who paid much more than we had. It pays to check out other options.

Also, in virtually every port, there are independant tour operators who are waiting to take you to the same places and get you back on time for, sometimes, a 1/3 of what you'd pay through the ship.

Rather than take the short helicopter ride to the Glacier offered by the cruise line, we chartered a small fixed wing plane for an hour's excursion over glaciers, mountains, etc. - for less money more time and a fantastic tour of Glacier National park by air. An unforgettable experience.

Archived