Larceny ??

hawkeye3d

What’s with HAL ? Don’t they like Canadians? I priced one cruise today directly with HAL and their price in CAN$ is higher than the US$ price by about 10%. I thought that odd since the CAN$ is worth about $1.03 US. The agent I spoke with at HAL was unable to explain it said it was a complete mystery even to them. Seems like a price gouge to me.

I looked at one popular on line TA and their prices correctly show the price in CAN$ as being lower than the same in US$

First, they probably pay a percentage to exchange the money. Lets say they pay two percent. That now narrows that margin down.

Price gouging is changing more for an item that is, or may be limited in supply due to a natural event. Think gas and oil after Katrina. Not for differences in pricing in standard commerce.

lar·ce·ny

the wrongful taking and carrying away of the personal goods of another from his or her possession with intent to convert them to the taker's own use.

That's a inflammatory accusing HAL of coming to you and taking your stuff.

The definitions of Larceny and Price Gouging

Larceny:

The unauthorized taking and removal of the Personal Property of another by an individual who intends to permanently deprive the owner of it; a crime against the right of possession.

Larceny generally refers to nonviolent theft. It is a common-law term developed by the royal courts of England in the seventeenth century. In the United States, most jurisdictions have eliminated the crime of Larceny from statutory codes, in favor of a general theft statute.

Price Gouging

Price gouging is a pejorative term referring to a situation in which a seller prices goods or commodities much higher than is considered reasonable or fair. In precise, legal usage, it is the name of a crime that applies in some of the United States during civil emergencies. In less precise usage, it can refer either to prices obtained by practices inconsistent with a competitive free market, or to windfall profits. In the Soviet Union, it was simply included under the single definition of speculation.

So from the above the MOST that HAL could be accused of is price gouging, not larceny.

I have no knowledge as to whether or not HAL is doing anything different than any other line or company as I purchae my cruises in the US. HOWEVER, I had to pay a higher price in 2008 and again for this September because my Scooter Rental was either through a Canadian company (May 2008) or being delivered to me in Canada (September 2011). Am I complaining? Nope:) I figure whatever it takes and it is only a few dollars more than what I paid in San Diego in April 2011 for the same thing through a US based company.

Peter, I was typing away as you were posting.

Joanie

Seriously now, back to the op''s question. HAL hedges their foreign exchange months in advance. So, when our dollar is going down it can work in our favour, when our dollar is going up it doesn't. (Yup, I'm Canadian too:))

It's not gouging - although it can look like it. I tend to normally book in US $, buy my FCC's in US$ and it works out well as most of my companies I deal with deal in US $.

You can also book with HAL in US $. no worries at all. I know, it's still shocking that our prices are higher, but I am pretty sure they are scared to lower it, believeing that this is a temporary scenario :rolleyes:

While I understand your shock, Hawkeye3d, *all* cruise lines hedge their currencies, and therefore don't apply current spot rates. HAL is not alone.

Like fellow Canadian Kazu, I'm always shopping for the silver lining in any currency fluctuations or price discrepancies. I must admit, I've saved far more on being my own currency arbitradeur than on any travel agency discounts or "flash" sales.

So, just embrace the price differences. We're the only nationality which can readily get U.S.$ pricing if we don't like the HAL C$ price. So, let your credit card convert it back to C$, and enjoy the best of both worlds.

One can accuse the Canadians of the same thing.

When the Canadian Dollar is stronger than the US Dollar, the shops in Canadian ports are very strict about the exchange rates when accepting US Dollars.

When the Canadian Dollar is weaker than the US Dollar, they will accept US Dollars 1:1.

Joanie, there is no civil emergency, so gouging doesn't apply.

Plus, I don't see it as unreasonable, or unfair.

I do not see it as Price Gouging either and did not mean to imply it. But that was the closest definition to what the OP was describing that I could find.

Like I said, going by what the OP described, I would be going trough the same thing in reverse with my Scooter rental(s)

I see it as a Set price to do business between residents of one country with a company located in another. It is what it is.....

Joanie

The price HAL charges in C$ was likely set before our dollar surged. Whenever we cruise we always price it out in C$ and US$. My sister is a TA in the US and in the past the price I was able to get in C$ was actually much better than what she was being quoted in US and doing the exchange. It is always best to check both options as it can go either way. It seems like now it is the best option to book and pay in US $, but I don't believe this is an attempt to gouge Canadians as they certainly were giving us a deal in past years.

When the Canadian Dollar is stronger than the US Dollar, the shops in Canadian ports are very strict about the exchange rates when accepting US Dollars.

When the Canadian Dollar is weaker than the US Dollar, they will accept US Dollars 1:1.

Ah...but that's a different thing, isn't it?

When a U.S. headquartered corporation does business with a foreign national in that foreigner's currency, the savvy foreigner (Canadian, Australian, British, whatever) knows the corporation is faced with an inevitable currency exchange cost. One way or another, that cost is going to be passed on to the consumer in the fare.

However, when the savvy foreigner is actually visiting another country, there's no reason for that tourist to have any cash currency in their pocket but the local one. Not only is it common courtesy, it's common sense.

Poor currency exchange is an avoidable cost. It's only the arrogant who assume "My own cash money is good everywhere on this planet" - and get stung accordingly.

HAL cruisers are almost without exception very savvy. They get the local money from their bank at home to bring with them, go to a local ATM to get local cash, or just use their credit card and let it convert.

But living on a border, I see arrogance daily - both the Canadian flavour and the U.S. flavor. :rolleyes:

Really? Then come to Saint John, NB - most of the stores are quite close to the bank rate (taking into account they get dinged when they present it)

I could tell a worse story about going to the US when our dollar is better, but stories are no fun.

Here's the best rule when you travel - take the currency of the country you are travelling in :D:D

That's what we do - and I always shudder when I see the exchange rates being offered - no matter where we are - and glad I brought their currency ;)

Archived