Rick Steve's Pocket Rome?

wantocruisemore

Last fall I bought Rick Steve's book for Rome. I loved it, but thought it a bit bulky to be carrying around. My SIL, who is also going on the trip with us, asked to borrow it. When I asked for it back she said it was lost (my niece said their new puppy chewed it up).

I have been searching for some alternatives without buying a duplicate. On Steve's website I noticed the new Pocket Guidebook for Rome. Is anyone familiar with these? I plan to go to the bookstore in the next few days to see if I can find it. Also noticed his 2011 Rome version is out too.

You could look on either Amazon or the Rick Steves website and see if there is such an animal - then if its not at the bookstore, order it elsewhere.

I already know there is such an animal, saw it on Steve's website just before I posted asking about it. Sounds like it is brand new.

If I find it in the local bookstore, I'll let you know what I think.

The downloads do seem interesting, it's just there will be 9 of us and not everyone has an ipod or Mp3 player. I personally had not thought about taking one, although I am rethinking that now.

I already know there is such an animal, saw it on Steve's website just before I posted asking about it. Sounds like it is brand new.

If I find it in the local bookstore, I'll let you know what I think.

The downloads do seem interesting, it's just there will be 9 of us and not everyone has an ipod or Mp3 player. I personally had not thought about taking one, although I am rethinking that now.

I have the newest iPod Touch and I have downloaded Rick Steves' "Audio Europe".

My husband and I will be using a splitter with two sets of ear buds.

The iPod fits inside my PacSafe purse, that is designed so the cord can come out of the purse, and keep the iPod secure inside.

My daughter and SIL were at the Colosseum yesterday and actually ran into Rick Steves and his camera crew. They were listening to him on their iPod, turned around and there he was! Pretty funny.

I have been watching Rick Steves episodes on Hulu. There are so many to choose from!

For me it is helpful for planning purposes and in making decisions on what to do in each port. One of my friends who travels with me, doesn't like to watch them, because she likes the element of surprise. Not me, I like to know what to expect.

This weekend I watched the Amalfi Coast episode and now I am convinced that I made the right decision to go there. Pompeii and Capri will have to wait for my next visit. :)

Enjoy!

I have been watching Rick Steves episodes on Hulu. There are so many to choose from!

For me it is helpful for planning purposes and in making decisions on what to do in each port. One of my friends who travels with me, doesn't like to watch them, because she likes the element of surprise. Not me, I like to know what to expect.

This weekend I watched the Amalfi Coast episode and now I am convinced that I made the right decision to go there. Pompeii and Capri will have to wait for my next visit. :)

Enjoy!

Thanks for the link! Now I know what I'm going to be doing tonight.

I prefer to plan as well. It just seems to make things easier. Besides, I'm been receiving some grief from my husband for too many private tours and not enough do as your owns for this trip. I can watch the videos and then spontaneously "suggest" what to see next when we do a couple of days in Rome on our own.

Friends of mine just returned from Rome and did the audio tours on their ipods. All but one in the family had their own, so mom and daughter had to share. They were very highly recommended. I already have the book, but plan on downloading the tours as well before we leave.

Last fall I bought Rick Steve's book for Rome. I loved it, but thought it a bit bulky to be carrying around. My SIL, who is also going on the trip with us, asked to borrow it. When I asked for it back she said it was lost (my niece said their new puppy chewed it up).

I have been searching for some alternatives without buying a duplicate. On Steve's website I noticed the new Pocket Guidebook for Rome. Is anyone familiar with these? I plan to go to the bookstore in the next few days to see if I can find it. Also noticed his 2011 Rome version is out too.

I'm not sure if you checked Amazon yet or not. But, Amazon sells the pocket book and has the "search inside this book" function. You might be able to tell if it's similar to what you had before just by looking at some of the pages. Plus, the publisher info will tell you how many pages are in the book as well and that might give you a feel for if it's the same or similar.

I had also seen it on line but it wasn't available in any of my local bookstores. I ordered it on line and received it an hour ago. I have several other Rome guides but this is the perfect size for traveling with.

Lisa

I had also seen it on line but it wasn't available in any of my local bookstores. I ordered it on line and received it an hour ago. I have several other Rome guides but this is the perfect size for traveling with.

Lisa

Can you tell me what you think of it? We're looking at a practical guide that would focus on the sites. We already have the apartment so all those extra chapters about hotels, etc. is not worth carrying. Plus, since we have special gluten-free restaurant needs, the ordinary pages in most books about restaurants is not that helpful.

I also want something I can carry with me.

Another portable option -- if you have a Kindle, many of Rick's books are available in a Kindle version on Amazon. I downloaded his Athens and the Peloponnesian for Kindle last year and it worked great for me.

This is what I have been waiting for, electronic versions of his books. We use an ipad pretty extensively, cuts waaaaaay down on what you need to carry.

Kirk

It looks pretty good - it is definitely the perfect size for carrying. It includes walking tours for The Colosseum; Roman Forum; Night Walk Across Rome; Pantheon; Vatican Museum; St. Peter's Basilica; and Borghese Gallery. There is also a chapter on Rome Sights by neighbourhood. There are brief sections on eating and sleeping at the back of the book - totally only about 15 pages. There is also a fold-out map in the back of the book. I will definitely be taking this book with me and leaving the larger guide books at home.

Lisa

I loved it, but thought it a bit bulky to be carrying around

What we do: Buy the paper verion of the book. Read the whole thing and plan with it. But there's no need to carry the whole book around with us, so we cut it up. Depending upon how much you are cutting, either cut out the pages you do want and put them in a binder... or cut out the pages you don't want.

What we do: Buy the paper verion of the book. Read the whole thing and plan with it. But there's no need to carry the whole book around with us, so we cut it up. Depending upon how much you are cutting, either cut out the pages you do want and put them in a binder... or cut out the pages you don't want.

Thanks, that's actually what we had intended to do before I loaned it to my SIL and "something" happened to it. Now I think I will just get the Pocket Version instead of buying a new Rick Steve's Rome. If my bookstore does not have it, I will order it.

Unless there seems to be some really good, updated info in the 2011 version?

Thanks, that's actually what we had intended to do before I loaned it to my SIL and "something" happened to it. Now I think I will just get the Pocket Version instead of buying a new Rick Steve's Rome. If my bookstore does not have it, I will order it.

Unless there seems to be some really good, updated info in the 2011 version?

My Barnes and Noble had lots of copies on the shelf. They also have a box of 50 cards with 50 walking tours of Rome complete with maps on the back of each card. Has anybody ever used these? I bought it but didn't open the box so I could return it. It would be easy enough to carry a card around.

My Barnes and Noble had lots of copies on the shelf. They also have a box of 50 cards with 50 walking tours of Rome complete with maps on the back of each card. Has anybody ever used these? I bought it but didn't open the box so I could return it. It would be easy enough to carry a card around.

Tell me some more about those cards. Who makes them, they sound interesting? When I shopped at Barnes and Noble last fall I did not see any. Maybe they are new? Also, what are they called and I will look them up on the website.

I also checked the Barnes and Noble website and learned my local B&N does have copies of Steve's Pocket Rome, so I will look there this weekend. I did the check inside feature on the website and it looked promising. I also found out the Pocket Guide was just published last week, likely explains why everyone is not as familiar with it.

Tell me some more about those cards. Who makes them, they sound interesting? When I shopped at Barnes and Noble last fall I did not see any. Maybe they are new? Also, what are they called and I will look them up on the website.

The box says City Walks Rome 50 adventures on foot "Each card in this deck outlines a self guided walking adventure with a detailed map on one side and insider info on the other" The post above says there are mixed reviews so Im not rushing to open the box, although it was only $15 and in the overall scheme of things, not a major expense of this trip!:)

Archived