1st Celebrity Cruise...one special tip for a newbie?

Admin

I'm sailing on my first Celebrity cruise on June 5th on the Summit to Bermuda. I'm excited to try a new line and I honestly have no preconceived ideas about how it will be. I have heard good and bad things about Celebrity but I hear good and bad things about every line. Are there any tips, words of wisdom, etc. you can give to a newbie that is looking forward to the cruise?

About me: I do tip, I do follow the dress code, I don't smoke and I'm a nice person. :D Thanks!

Summit is a beautiful ship. Be sure to try the free treats from Cova cafe. In the morning they have a variety of pastries, little sandwiches at lunchtime, and a variety of tapas in the afternoon. Spend some time enjoying the atmosphere and lovely entertainment offered at various times. The after dinner coffees (with alcohol) are wonderful too. It was definitely one of our favorite places on a wonderful ship. Enjoy!!

Lots of people don't discover the Aqua Spa cafe until their second or third cruise. Nice options at breakfast and lunch and worth a look, with hardly ever any crowds.

Be sure to go all the way to the end of the buffet, clear to the aft end of the area, to find the waffles in the morning. As a matter of fact, cruise around the entire buffet at breakfast and lunch to make sure you don't miss something -- the port and starboard sides are not duplicates of each other.

The waiter will explain the evening menu, with the left side choices available every night and those on the right are the nightly specials and won't be repeated. But they may not tell you that there is also a vegetarian menu. You can get it one night in advance so you can put in your order and it will help the kitchen to know how many will be asking for that option. They will also make curries with one day's notice, not on the menu.

Have a great cruise!

Summit is a beautiful ship. Be sure to try the free treats from Cova cafe. In the morning they have a variety of pastries, little sandwiches at lunchtime, and a variety of tapas in the afternoon. Spend some time enjoying the atmosphere and lovely entertainment offered at various times. The after dinner coffees (with alcohol) are wonderful too. It was definitely one of our favorite places on a wonderful ship. Enjoy!!
Great tips! Cova Cafe...got it.

Don't look for the big screen T.V. at the pool deck.
I don't think I've ever been on a ship with a big screen TV on the pool deck. Then again, I'm not a pool person or even a sun bather. I haven't even brought a bathing suit on my last 8 cruises!

Lots of people don't discover the Aqua Spa cafe until their second or third cruise. Nice options at breakfast and lunch and worth a look, with hardly ever any crowds.

Be sure to go all the way to the end of the buffet, clear to the aft end of the area, to find the waffles in the morning. As a matter of fact, cruise around the entire buffet at breakfast and lunch to make sure you don't miss something -- the port and starboard sides are not duplicates of each other.

The waiter will explain the evening menu, with the left side choices available every night and those on the right are the nightly specials and won't be repeated. But they may not tell you that there is also a vegetarian menu. You can get it one night in advance so you can put in your order and it will help the kitchen to know how many will be asking for that option. They will also make curries with one day's notice, not on the menu.

Have a great cruise!

Thank you! I need to look into our dining arrangements. We're doing the assigned dining at 8:30 every night. I haven't dined that way on a cruise since 2001 so it's gonna be an adjustment for me. I'm usually an NCL cruiser, just got off my last NCL cruise last Sunday, and I L O V E freestyle cruising. But I'm excited to do more traditional cruising things.

I really like relaxing on a cruise. I don't do lots of excursions. I like finding a quiet place with my iPod and a book or just people watching. I'd like to find a nice martini bar with light music that you can hear yourself think over and maybe meet some new friends. Where can I do that on the Summit?

Great tips! Cova Cafe...got it.

I don't think I've ever been on a ship with a big screen TV on the pool deck. Then again, I'm not a pool person or even a sun bather. I haven't even brought a bathing suit on my last 8 cruises!

Thank you! I need to look into our dining arrangements. We're doing the assigned dining at 8:30 every night. I haven't dined that way on a cruise since 2001 so it's gonna be an adjustment for me. I'm usually an NCL cruiser, just got off my last NCL cruise last Sunday, and I L O V E freestyle cruising. But I'm excited to do more traditional cruising things.

I really like relaxing on a cruise. I don't do lots of excursions. I like finding a quiet place with my iPod and a book or just people watching. I'd like to find a nice martini bar with light music that you can hear yourself think over and maybe meet some new friends. Where can I do that on the Summit?

You will find that Celebrity is the cruise line made for you. There are no loud bands, many quite areas, no constant announcements, just really laid back and elegant. If you are a smoker you may have a problem as the ship is basically a no smoking ship. If you like to drink a lot of martinis you may want to get the drink package. It is not worth it unless you drink at least 5 a day but the drink package includes other things such as bottled water and etc.

I compare Celebrity to other lines as the difference between attending a Super bowl game and a Master Golf tournament or attending a AC DC concert and Yanni. If you want Super Bowl or AC DC stick with the other lines.

You will find that Celebrity is the cruise line made for you. There are no loud bands, many quite areas, no constant announcements, just really laid back and elegant. If you are a smoker you may have a problem as the ship is basically a no smoking ship. If you like to drink a lot of martinis you may want to get the drink package. It is not worth it unless you drink at least 5 a day but the drink package includes other things such as bottled water and etc.

I compare Celebrity to other lines as the difference between attending a Super bowl game and a Master Golf tournament or attending a AC DC concert and Yanni. If you want Super Bowl or AC DC stick with the other lines.

Thanks for the feedback. I don't smoke so no issues there and I had my first martini last week and don't think I could do 5 a day! LOL But I love hearing that you can find a quiet spot. I'm 40 and do enjoy a party now and again but I'm looking for a more relaxing cruise this time. Thanks again!

Ditto re previous comments on the Aqua Spa Cafe - great food and surprisingly uncrowded.

Also if the weather is good it is great to get your food in the buffet and then take it out to the outdoor bar area at the stern of the ship behind the buffet. Again this never too crowded and offers wonderful sea views!

Have a great time!

Try the waffles, freshly made in the buffet. I wouldn't book a Celebrity cruise just for the waffles, but many people rave about them, and they are tasty.

If you're looking for a nice martini bar on Summit, try the Martini Bar!:rolleyes::D We don't drink, but it's a nice atmosphere for catching up with friends. For our last cruise, we made it the unofficial roll call daily meeting point at 8pm-- early diners could stop by after dinner, late diners would show up before their seating.

Enjoy Summit!

We have our first X cruise this December on Infinity. We go through the Panama Canal down the West coast of SA. Can't wait.

Should I rent a tux? How serious is the formal night? I am used to NCL, freestyle.

What about the wine packages? It is hard to find the details on X's website. Can you pick your wines ahead of time?

We have our first X cruise this December on Infinity. We go through the Panama Canal down the West coast of SA. Can't wait.

Should I rent a tux? How serious is the formal night? I am used to NCL, freestyle.

What about the wine packages? It is hard to find the details on X's website. Can you pick your wines ahead of time?

Sorry, don't know about the wine. I did notice lots of people really dress up for formal night which is so different than the few that do on NCL. A tux would be nice but a suit would be just fine.

Welcome to Celebrity!! I think your going to love it!

- Aqua Spa cafe, I know others have mentioned it, very good lunches

- Try the cafe americano at cova cafe (the regular coffee on board I hate but the Americano's are good $4) and the chocolate crossaints

- Summit has a martini bar and a champange bar I love love the martini bar on the Summit it's very well set up

Have a great time!

A suit is just fine for the formal nights! Also....go AQUA CLASS! And .... beverage packages....we bought the premium one and it was definitely the route to go. Lots of choices for wine that you can order in every bar. Includes all drinks...not just wine....like the Martini Bar or drinks around the pool! Enjoy!

Do try the Thalassotherapy Pool and the Aqua Cafe. Just thinking about it makes me want to book a cruise on Summit, Millie, on Infinity. I'm so overdue for that kind of relaxation.

I also love the heated loungers and Therma suites in the Persian Garden. I'd splurge and book the Persian Garden for the whole cruise.

Claire

Thanks everyone!

Try the waffles, freshly made in the buffet. I wouldn't book a Celebrity cruise just for the waffles, but many people rave about them, and they are tasty.

If you're looking for a nice martini bar on Summit, try the Martini Bar!:rolleyes::D We don't drink, but it's a nice atmosphere for catching up with friends. For our last cruise, we made it the unofficial roll call daily meeting point at 8pm-- early diners could stop by after dinner, late diners would show up before their seating.

Enjoy Summit!

LOL Martini Bar....I guess I haven't studied the ship layout enough to know there was one. But now I know and it sounds like my kind of place. ;)

A few have mentioned the waffles so I'll have to try them. Is he buffet the only option for breakfast or is there sit down dining? Which is preferred?

Welcome to Celebrity!! I think your going to love it!

- Aqua Spa cafe, I know others have mentioned it, very good lunches

- Try the cafe americano at cova cafe (the regular coffee on board I hate but the Americano's are good $4) and the chocolate crossaints

- Summit has a martini bar and a champange bar I love love the martini bar on the Summit it's very well set up

Have a great time!

A few have mentioned the Aqua Spa Cafe so that's another I'll make sure to do. Is it a dining venue open to anyone or is it an extra?

My stateroom is on deck 2. I expect I'll have a shift of rowing the ship at some point considering how close I'll be to the water line. :p We're doing assigned dining at 8:30. I've signed up for one shore excursion. And I've signed up for the Cruise Critic party. I have 21 days to go and lots left to learn. Thanks again.

The Martini Bar is a great place for pre/post dinner drinks. Charles in the Martini Bar is a star - lovely person, he is one of the servers who sticks most in our memories. If you run into him - make sure to say Hi from Julia and Geoff! We had a drinks package and he found it hilarious to be called a "bad boy" when we turned around from watching the band in Rendezvous (viewable through the "hole") to find him filling our drinks again without being asked to.

We were in the Caribbean in April on Summit and the Mast Bar is a great place to watch sailaway and enjoy the atmosphere as the sun goes down. Especially if Dr. Feelgood is back serving there by the time you go on your cruise.

As others have said - Cova at any time of the day is wonderful.

I was going to say that my two favorite places on Summit were the Martini Bar, sitting at the rail watching the dancers below, enjoying a before-dinner cocktail; and the thalassotherapy pool, the greatest invention ever. I can't for the life of me figure out why they didn't put them on the S class ships!

If you just do those two things daily, you will have a GREAT cruise!

If you are going to buy computer time, buy it on the day you board the ship....and you will (usually) get 20% more minutes as a bonus. For some (obvious) reason Celebrity doesn't publicize this.....

Do check your dining arrangements when you board to make sure that Celebrity thinks you reserved what you think you reserved. Also check to see where your table is...just in case you are directly outside the path to the kitchen or some other undesireable place.

If you want to try different vodka's (not in mixed drinks), I suggest you try Stoli Elit at the martini bar because it may be the only time in your life you can afford it. while it costs three or four times more than Grey Goose in a retail store, Celebrity charges the same for both. BTW...it's great vodka.

We're doing assigned dining at 8:30.
Thanks for asking the questions. Our upcoming Summit cruise is my first on Celebrity as well. I'm taking notes. :) Come and join Cheryl and her husband and my sister and me in late dining. Our TA can link our bookings if you're interested. :)

Is he buffet the only option for breakfast or is there sit down dining?

There is regular seating in the MDR if you want a sit-down breakfast. You can order off a menu or get an express breakfast if you're in a hurry. However, I don't recommend the express breakfast-- we've never had good luck with them. They're premade, come out cold, eggs are runny; at least, that's what it's been like the few times we tried it. You can also get some free pastries from Cova Cafe, or try room service. Remember to tip your server a couple of bucks for room serivce, if you try it. The food quality with room service can be a bit hit or miss, as well-- food might be cold, for example. Room service is a nice option if you have a balcony to enjoy it on, so you may want to stay away from that.

I'll be on Dec 3 cruise also. Great itinerary. My 1st X cruise was this January on Eclipse and I thought formal night dress attire seemed same as RCL's. Have not been on NCL so not sure about how that compares. My husband brought a nice sports coat and dress slacks instead of his suit. He didn't seem out of place at all.

Thanks for asking the questions. Our upcoming Summit cruise is my first on Celebrity as well. I'm taking notes. :) Come and join Cheryl and her husband and my sister and me in late dining. Our TA can link our bookings if you're interested. :)
I'm already linked to Laura and Caroline, her husband, Kat and her friend. But thanks for asking me!

There is regular seating in the MDR if you want a sit-down breakfast. You can order off a menu or get an express breakfast if you're in a hurry. However, I don't recommend the express breakfast-- we've never had good luck with them. They're premade, come out cold, eggs are runny; at least, that's what it's been like the few times we tried it. You can also get some free pastries from Cova Cafe, or try room service. Remember to tip your server a couple of bucks for room serivce, if you try it. The food quality with room service can be a bit hit or miss, as well-- food might be cold, for example. Room service is a nice option if you have a balcony to enjoy it on, so you may want to stay away from that.
Depending on the hours, I may not even make breakfast! I think I'll need to see how late I stay up in the martini bar. LOL But thanks for the info. I like knowing there's a sit down option. I shy away from room service almost completely because I like the process of dining at a sit down place and having nice wait staff to interact with, etc. But coffee may be in the cards for this trip.

Great tip about the internet. Unfortunately, I will have to work some on this trip so I will have an internet bill. :cool:

ozmarlene, This cruise really has us excited. The Panama Canal is something that I have always wanted to see. My Wife and I both have read "The Path between the Seas" by David McCulloch. I am so glad that X has a full day at Colon prior to transit. We will probably go to see the Gatun Locks, but the train ride looks like a winner.

Also, I have never been to South America, and getting to see all the West coast countries is great, especially Lima and all the stops in Chile. We are staying over in Chile for two extra days before returning to the USA.

All I can add to this discussion is to enjoy your trip. There are lots of quiet places to enjoy on the ship. Love the quiet before dinner music on the way to the DR. If you get a chance early in the morning buffet, try the cinnamon rolls. They are out of this world. YUM

Archived