Who plans your cruise?

JanetAlice

As the primary cruise planner (ok the only cruise/vacation planner) in the family I am curious how this breaks out gender wise. Man, woman, couple?

The first cruise I went on was planned by my parents. Two of the cruises were planned by friends. The other fourteen I planned. Of the next two that are booked, one was planned by a friend (with some input by me) and one was planned by me.

Mrs Tex and I don't really know yet, but I suspect that we'll decide on the cruise together, I'll do the digging about activities, and she'll handle the logistics. That's generally how things work for us.

I find something that I can't pass up and then confirm with partner and see who all will come with us. At some point we sit down and throw out things we might like to do on this trip and future ones and I plan everything. I'm the only one of the couple or the group that comes on cruise critic too. I love the planning.

I usually choose the cruise and do the research. My husband's reactions ranged from oblivious ("Now where are we going?") to reluctant ("Do we have to go to France?:(") to GungHo ("I want to go back to Budapest or London, or Paris again.") He has become progressively more enthusiastic each time and now is becoming involved in choosing our destination!

I think I will still be doing research and planning though. That's ok. Planning the trip is half the fun!

I do the planning. My DH gives me the area he'd like to go to (he wants South America next time) and I see if I can get a good deal on it. Then I plan where it works for me (we'll probably do a cruise out of LA instead).

Our last Caribbean cruise I gave him a choice of 10 different cruise itineraries and asked his opinion. I considered his reasons and chose from that. Usually we take our kids and grandkids and also travel with friends so many things have to be considered. Airfare, hotel and shore excursions must be worked out. I do all of this. I then do all the planning, organizing and negotiating. About a week before we leave he starts planning - to help me. He brings home information on flights, hotels and transportation. Ya, right. Like I haven't figured out how to get us from home to the airport, airport to hotel, hotel to ship yet. It's not like you can arrive in Ft. Lauderdale with 21 people and not have a plan. You can't just flag down a taxi. Last trip I had booked 3 mini vans for our group months in advance to get the best rate. He started researching 7 days before leaving.

I have a binder that is divided into each location for shore excursions, flights, hotel etc. It contains a color copy of our passports, a copy of our medication, a copy of the credit cards we are taking and an emergency contact list. I also divide all the money I have to pay for shore excursions and tips into envelopes, put them in a baggie and put that in the binder.

Last time we went to Rome my husband laughed at me for my binder. I said, "what! you think you just show up at the airport and they magically know where you are going?" He looked at me straight in the eyes and said "yes, that's how it works for me!"

DH allows me to do all of the planning. If there is a choice of itineraries we discuss it and we generally agree.

I study the excursions and pick out the ones I think we will both enjoy. Then I show him the descriptions and we go with what he is most intrigued by.

I do all of the other planning.

I'm the trip planner because I love doing it and my DH would hate it. We decide together where, in general, to go, and I take it from there. Fortunately, we both like the same kinds of travel and the same activities, so it's easy.

He cancels the paper, has the mail held, and does all the driving.

He's much more easy going than I am when things don't go according to my plan--like the museum that three guidebooks said was open on a certain day isn't open--and I really appreciate that.

Another female planner here. DH doesn't like planning and doesn't see why we need to do any! He'd logon to the internet, book the holiday (first one he finds) and then just turn up and expect everything to be in place. He'd assume he could jump in a taxi to the hotel/ship/train and assume that he could get to an ATM for money and also assume his passport was in date.

I suppose he is probably right but I enjoy the planning and the looking for the best deal.

Over the years we've reached a position where we agree what and when and then I do all the rest. I tell him just enough to keep me happy (he doesn't want to know all the details and would be happy to just turn up on the day even thought I'd love to have someone share my excitement).

This summer we're travelling with friends. She is just like my husband and her husband is like me. So Dane and I are doing all the planning and discussing the others will just go along with what we plan. That is a really good solution for us!

DW and I picked the two weeks that worked for us, and I end up doing all the research and booking. I like reading forums, price shopping, cabin selection, etc. DW will provide input to the shore excursions!

I do the planning. My DH gives me the area he'd like to go to (he wants South America next time) and I see if I can get a good deal on it. Then I plan where it works for me (we'll probably do a cruise out of LA instead).

Our last Caribbean cruise I gave him a choice of 10 different cruise itineraries and asked his opinion. I considered his reasons and chose from that. Usually we take our kids and grandkids and also travel with friends so many things have to be considered. Airfare, hotel and shore excursions must be worked out. I do all of this. I then do all the planning, organizing and negotiating. About a week before we leave he starts planning - to help me. He brings home information on flights, hotels and transportation. Ya, right. Like I haven't figured out how to get us from home to the airport, airport to hotel, hotel to ship yet. It's not like you can arrive in Ft. Lauderdale with 21 people and not have a plan. You can't just flag down a taxi. Last trip I had booked 3 mini vans for our group months in advance to get the best rate. He started researching 7 days before leaving.

I have a binder that is divided into each location for shore excursions, flights, hotel etc. It contains a color copy of our passports, a copy of our medication, a copy of the credit cards we are taking and an emergency contact list. I also divide all the money I have to pay for shore excursions and tips into envelopes, put them in a baggie and put that in the binder.

Last time we went to Rome my husband laughed at me for my binder. I said, "what! you think you just show up at the airport and they magically know where you are going?" He looked at me straight in the eyes and said "yes, that's how it works for me!"

Love your last comment. We too have a "football". That is the old term that refers to the launch codes the president used to carry with him. It has everything you just described. I send a copy to my eldest son and my best friend. I also included a page called "In case of". On that page I have my attorneys name, all my outstanding debts and financial information.

I do it almost all of it. I get input on which cruise and also if there are any particular sites in a port my DW or DD want to see than I go to work. I am fairly detailed in my planning, our upcoming 19 day cruise has a six page Excel spreadsheet with all the details of where, what and how.

Kirk

A man after my heart :D (though it is already taken!).

I also EXCEL Spreadsheet all of our planning, I do it even at the research stage before we have decided where to go. Obviously, I'm the planner of the family.

I plan all of our vacations. I love it, I swear I missed my calling as a travel agent. I usually get his feedback on the location and some excursions. As long as he can get off from work he's usually happy to follow along!

Maybe we can start our own business Shawna. I see that you are about to go on your first cruise. You will love it!

I plan all of our vacations. I love it, I swear I missed my calling as a travel agent. I usually get his feedback on the location and some excursions. As long as he can get off from work he's usually happy to follow along!

I too plan all of our holidays and feel I missed my calling as a travel agent as friends at work now come to me for advice especially when thinking of cruising! I spend weeks researching prices, itineraries and cruise lines. Then I peruse brochures, websites and speak to TAs. This research etc is all part of the holiday experience for me and I wouldnt swap it for the world. DH can usually only holiday in January/Feb and in the Autumn due to work commitments, so he has no input in the choosing. I just let him know when and where and he has never said "No" I love it .

Archived