Weather can shut airports any time of year

wrp96

I know a lot of people think that weather only grounds planes during the winter. But DFW spent a good portion of the last two days shut down due to severe weather - many of the planes on the ground there were damaged by hail during the storms this evening (softball size hail reported at DFW). They may have the same problem over at Love Field. And I believe Chicago is supposed to get storms tomorrow - O'Hare is a hub for Continental/United and AA, and Midway is a major airport for Southwest.

Just something to think about when you are planning your flights. Don't think because it's spring/summer/fall, I won't be affected by a weather delay.

Also, if anyone is flying AA tomorrow you should check your flights. All AA flight operations were cancelled for the evening out of DFW which means that even if you aren't flying to/from DFW your plane may not be in position for your flight.

This is why I always recommend flying a day or more ahead of your cruise when flying domestically and if possible two or more days for your cruise when flying overseas. Weather problems can happen any time of the year but so can an array of other problems from airport security breaches, FAA problems, computer problems and many other items too numerous to list here including earthquakes, and even volcanic ash.

Keith

Orlando International has only completely shut down a handful of times in the past 10 years, always due to hurricanes that happen August through October.

However they can have ground stops pretty much year round due to lightning. If there is lightning within five miles of the airport, all ramp operations cease until it's cleared. That can last five minutes to five hours--30-45 minutes is average. It definitely backs things up, and flights can and do get cancelled or significantly delayed as a result.

The best way to avoid this if you're flying in the day of is to come in on a flight that lands before 11:00 am. We seldom have lightning between 6:00 am and noon.

And contrary to what many believe, we don't just get those thunderstorms in the summer. The deadliest of them have occurred between December and March.

Just something to think about when you are planning your flights. Don't think because it's spring/summer/fall, I won't be affected by a weather delay.

Well put. There are far more weather related problems/delays due to thunderstorms in spring/summer than due to snow in winter. Can't put my hand on the stats right now.

All AA flight operations were cancelled for the evening out of DFW which means that even if you aren't flying to/from DFW your plane may not be in position for your flight.
Again, great reminder. It's not just the weather at YOUR airports that matters; it's how your particular aircraft and crews have been impacted.

Orlando International has only completely shut down a handful of times in the past 10 years, always due to hurricanes that happen August through October.

However they can have ground stops pretty much year round due to lightning. If there is lightning within five miles of the airport, all ramp operations cease until it's cleared. That can last five minutes to five hours--30-45 minutes is average. It definitely backs things up, and flights can and do get cancelled or significantly delayed as a result.

The best way to avoid this if you're flying in the day of is to come in on a flight that lands before 11:00 am. We seldom have lightning between 6:00 am and noon.

And contrary to what many believe, we don't just get those thunderstorms in the summer. The deadliest of them have occurred between December and March.

With all due respect the best way to avoid this is to fly in the day before.

If you fly in the day of the cruise you are taking a big chance that you will miss the cruise. Remember it's not just your local weather that can play havoc on the flights or specifically your flight.

Some say it's never happened to me. Well, the odds say if you fly enough it will.

Keith

With all due respect the best way to avoid this is to fly in the day before.

If you fly in the day of the cruise you are taking a big chance that you will miss the cruise. Remember it's not just your local weather that can play havoc on the flights or specifically your flight.

Some say it's never happened to me. Well, the odds say if you fly enough it will.

Keith

I'd never argue that, we're flying in two days before our European cruise next year. Sometimes there's no option to fly in the day before, especially with those who use cruise air.

I'd never argue that, we're flying in two days before our European cruise next year. Sometimes there's no option to fly in the day before, especially with those who use cruise air.

Good move. On top of getting there early, less risk to miss the ship it provides some recovery time to get over the jet lag.

Keith

To add, just saw a report that at least 30 AA planes (and possibly up to 60) were damaged at DFW. AA has started cancelling flights through Friday throughout the system.

To add, just saw a report that at least 30 AA planes (and possibly up to 60) were damaged at DFW. AA has started cancelling flights through Friday throughout the system.

Tough weather there Wrona. They had the same stuff as OKC.........I would also point out you can plan to fly in one or two days before a cruise......but if an airport is shut down the day before and you can't get a flight out the next day because everything is booked........you will still miss your cruise in all likelyhood. Planning to go in a day early certainly gives you more options, but doesn't necessarily get you there, depending on the airport circumstances. Weather is just another factor anymore with flights as part of the cruise experience.

We missed our connecting flight last October after an HAL cruise. This was on a Sunday and DFW said the earliest they could get us a flight was maybe Tuesday.......we took a chance and flew standby and did make it home........but the next option was renting a car.

I didn't realize that many planes were damaged..........but doesn't surprise me with the hail I saw from the Texas Ranger baseball game.

Tough weather there Wrona. They had the same stuff as OKC.........I would also point out you can plan to fly in one or two days before a cruise......but if an airport is shut down the day before and you can't get a flight out the next day because everything is booked........you will still miss your cruise in all likelyhood. Planning to go in a day early certainly gives you more options, but doesn't necessarily get you there, depending on the airport circumstances. Weather is just another factor anymore with flights as part of the cruise experience.

We missed our connecting flight last October after an HAL cruise. This was on a Sunday and DFW said the earliest they could get us a flight was maybe Tuesday.......we took a chance and flew standby and did make it home........but the next option was renting a car.

I didn't realize that many planes were damaged..........but doesn't surprise me with the hail I saw from the Texas Ranger baseball game.

While flying in two days in advance doesn't guarantee some catastrophic event won't prevent you from missing the ship, it certainly significantly increases your odds of arriving in plenty of time for the cruise.

Keith

. Don't think because it's spring/summer/fall, I won't be affected by a weather delay.

Well of course... hurricane season is late summer into fall. Between that, volcanic ash, hail storms, tornadoes....snow is the least of all worries, especially up here where snow is pretty ubiquitous and mundane. If winter weather was a problem no one in the northeast would ever get anywhere.;)

Much in life is left to chance, and since chance favors the prepared mind I usually fly a day early regardless of what time of year it is. Besides, flying in just in time for your cruise is like skipping a port. :)

Planning to go in a day early certainly gives you more options, but doesn't necessarily get you there, depending on the airport circumstances.

Sure, no plan is fool-proof.... I am sure those who had cruises in the days following 9/11 missed their ships or drove through the night when they learned flights were grounded. Of course you could fly in a week before every cruise but not everyone can take the time off or cares to pay for a week in a hotel.

You can't predict every kind of potential obstacle, but the law of large numbers would suggest that your percentages of success increase dramatically by flying in a day early. Two days would probably account for an additional 5%...to me that isn't worth it unless we are talking about a particularly interesting embarkation port, such as Athens or Istanbul. FLL, not so much.

Sure, no plan is fool-proof.... I am sure those who had cruises in the days following 9/11 missed their ships or drove through the night when they learned flights were grounded. Of course you could fly in a week before every cruise but not everyone can take the time off or cares to pay for a week in a hotel.

You can't predict every kind of potential obstacle, but the law of large numbers would suggest that your percentages of success increase dramatically by flying in a day early. Two days would probably account for an additional 5%...to me that isn't worth it unless we are talking about a particularly interesting embarkation port, such as Athens or Istanbul. FLL, not so much.

Ginny I agree with you 100%. My simple point was that there is no 100% guarantee even if you fly in a day early. I think if you reread my post, you will see I agree with you that flying in a day early is ALWAYS prefered and greatly increases your chances that all will be ok............

I was just referring to posters that imply that flying in the day before is the cure all...........while it might be so 90% of the time there is no guarantee......

I assure you we are on the same page.:)

Right.... not a cure-all, more of a "cure-most" ;)

Oh I agree. But I've seen so many posts saying "my cruise is in the summer so I don't have to worry about weather affecting my flights" I thought it would be a good reminder that weather problems are not a winter only issue. The post was as much about thinking about your options in advance - whether it be flying a day ahead, driving to an alternate airport, etc.

Oh I agree. But I've seen so many posts saying "my cruise is in the summer so I don't have to worry about weather affecting my flights".

Or people who say, in January, "I'm flying out of Tampa so snow won't be a problem." And then are shocked to find out that their flight is delayed because the plane is stuck in Rochester or Philly under a foot of snow!

Just to report on yet another real world situation; friends had flights booked yesterday morning from ABQ to FLL on AA. Flights cancelled due to storm/hail damage in Dallas, rebooked for today, flying ABQ->LAX->MIA. (Yes, weird longer routing, but it was what was available). Found out at 5 am this morning that today's segment from LAX to MIA was cancelled due to hail damage to the scheduled aircraft. They are still in ABQ, no other flight options for them to get to FLL/MIA in time tomorrow on AA. Flights on other airlines would entail buying $$$ walk-up fares on a 15 hour overnight flight with two plane changes arriving at 2:30 in FLL. The new tickets would not be covered by insurance, and there is no guarantee those flights will be on time or that they will make the ship, so they have decided to cancel their trip. Yes, any reason insurance helps soften the financial blow for the cruise fare, but the disappointment is still palpable. So even two days early was of no help to them. Sometimes it just does not work out even with advance planning.

Remember, "insurance" is to compensate for your actual financial losses. It won't get you to the ship.

This point should not be forgotten. In fact, that is what the poster mentioned about her Alaska cruise.

We have been on cruises leaving out of Los Angeles and going to Hong Kong and likewise R/T Hawaii cruises out of Los Angeles. If you miss the ship, that means you don't board the ship for 4+ days missing about 25% of the cruise. Even if you are compensated for this in terms of the financials, it's not the way one hoped to spend their vacation.

Keith

Remember, "insurance" is to compensate for your actual financial losses. It won't get you to the ship.

I wasn't implying that it would get you to the ship. Only that if you missed the ship and couldn't go at all. I know if we missed the ship, there would be no way for us to make arrangements to "catch up" with the ship.

I wasn't implying that it would get you to the ship. Only that if you missed the ship and couldn't go at all. I know if we missed the ship, there would be no way for us to make arrangements to "catch up" with the ship.

Of course you weren't.... some of us just like to get competitive with the advice-giving. I'm sometimes guilty of it myself, not realizing how condescending it can sound. :o

I also try to remember that for every doomsday story there are 1000 people who make it to their cruise just fine, thank-you-very-much.... but like the media we are addicted to drama and can't help ourselves. :)

Have gone on several cruises with cruiseair or air included which were scheduled to arrive same day. The two air included started with 2 or 3 nights on land, wouldn't want to miss them but not like missing the ship. The cruiseair I paid to choose my own schedule, avoided ATL and barely made the ship.

Enough for us; last trip spent 2 days in Lisbon pre-cruise and wished I had booked four.

Archived