Are The Beds Really That Bad?

Sandy Sails

I keep hearing about the Princess beds being so uncomfortable that if you don't have a mattress topper, you'll be sorry.

Can you order the mattress topper ahead of time (I just checked the website and didn't see it anywhere) or do you have to wait until you board and hope your cabin steward will provide one for you upon request?

Thanks for your help - my first time cruising Princess (Emerald) and I'm really looking forward to it.

It would depend what you're used to. I've had issues with Sapphire, Ruby and Coral. Really, really painful. I love 95% of Princess - hate the beds. So I'm in the yes camp, they are that bad. I believe your TA can make a request for an egg crate mattress for you or you can ask your room steward when you board.

In a word, Yes, they are that bad. However put an eggcrate on them then they are quite passable. I don't believe that you can request them in advance anymore but we never had any success when you could; we just ask the cabin steward for one as soon as we see him/her and never have had a problem. We found the new foam topper that they are using on the Ruby didn't have the comfort of the eggcrate and next time would probably request 2 of them.

I also have had issue on the Ruby as well as the Caribbean. I love a really soft bed and my bed at home has a huge pillowtop so I'm a bit spoiled. I would wake up several times a night when sailing with my shoulder killing me! (I'm in my 30s so no age issue). I'd continuously have to roll over, roll over... We did request a topper once but it didn't help much. Oh well...I love to cruise so much I suck it up!

hi weluv2cruise2007

Princess once put us upin a nice modern hotel, the matress was about 4inch think and was on a solid base when we sat on it it felt like a park bench, the pillows were about 2inch thick while there were two of them

they felt that they were made of concetre

it was the one bed I have met that I could not sleep in. Spend a fortune watching moives all night.

yours Shogun

It depends on what u call bad. If it's a soft bed u want then yes, they are very bad. If it's a hard bed u want then they are very good.

No one can answer your question unless you can qualify what you think is bad.

Hi There

Never had a issue with Princess beds on any ship, having just spent almost a month on the Ruby no issues get a goood sleep

enjoy your cruise

yours Shogun

Agreed, just spent two weeks on the Crown T/A. Never had a better night's sleep.

I am somewhat heavyweight and find the beds on Princess uncomfortable, I am used to a memory foam mattress at home, as my next Princess cruise is homeport to homeport maybe I'l take my own memory foam topper? Thanks for reminding me!

Anyone know how wide the twin (single for UK) beds are on Ocean Princess please?

I like a firm mattress. That's what Princess beds are, firm not hard.

Maybe it depends on the class of cabin as to the luxury of the mattress, also maybe how old and compressed it has become, and whether the ship was originally a Princess ship or not?

Maybe it depends on the class of cabin as to the luxury of the mattress, also maybe how old and compressed it has become, and whether the ship was originally a Princess ship or not?

Actually, the only time I've ever had a problem in all my Princess cruises was on the Ruby when she was brand new. Didn't ruin my cruise or anthing like that, mind you; but it was rather "extra firm". However, I can't recall evern having an issue on any of the other cruises we've been on (including 2 other times on the Ruby). Most times, I never sleep better than I do on a (Princess) cruise. :D

They are not soft. I think they start our hard/firm (subjective), and if you're lucky, that's what you'll get. If you're unlucky, you'll get one that is hard/firm on the edges and quite saggy in the middle. Those are the ones that give me real pain and grief.

I have found Princess beds hard (not firm). I have an extra-firm mattress at home, and the Princess ones are nothing like that. More like what I've had in less-expensive Italian hotels, e.g., thin and hard.

I agree that the movement of the ship makes for a good night's sleep, but one shouldn't have to wake up in the morning stiff and sore.

We'll be on our 9th Princess cruise this September. Don't ever remember having trouble sleeping on any of the ships we have been on. I don't have any issues at home either--5 mins and I'm asleep. No back, hip or knee problems, either--so if you have these issues a firmer mattress may make a difference. My DH is always amazed that I can sleep anywhere and fall asleep quickly!

We have a sleep number bed at home and its set to 35--so I guess I prefer a softer bed. The Princess beds don't bother me. Guess it has to do with your ability to fall asleep anywhere; softness or hardness of mattress you prefer, medical issues, and if the rocking of the ship helps to put you asleep.

If you are really concerned. definitely request a mattress topper from your room steward as soon as you get on board. They can and will run out of the toppers.

Hi there,

We were on the Emerald last month & were pleasantly surprised that the mattresses were fine. I was stressing about it pre-cruise, because of all the comments on this board. I even considered bringing my own foam mattress topper, but decided to take my chances. I'd requested a foam mattress pad ahead of time, and it helped. The mattress was fine for our 10-day cruise. I'd had issues on a prior cruise -- the Diamond in 2009. Those mattresses (and pillows!) were awful. But the Emerald was fine.

Enjoy your cruise!

When I first saw an itinerary with Princess that I really wanted to do, I was so concerned about the "hard beds" that I booked a trip out of NY just to try them out. They were wonderful. Since then we have taken several more Princess cruises (see below) and have always found the beds to be not only good but very comfortable. I still wonder when I hear these comments.

By the way, a note for anyone not familiar with egg crates, they are considered comfortable by everyone.

By all the responses, both in favor of the beds and against the beds, this is a matter of personal choice. Normally, I am very picky about the bed I sleep in, but I've never had a problem with the beds on Princess ships. I wish I could say that about most hotel beds:rolleyes:

Archived