No. 1, USA beach

jackdiamond

I live in Sarasota and LOVE Siesta Key. The weather during the summer is harsh, but we go AT NIGHT and the water is like 80 degrees! If you go to Sarasota, check out Daiquiri Deck, which has my favorite pina colodas (I just go for the drinks, the food is ok but a bit on the pricey side). They have 2-4-1 daiquiri specials daily between 4 and 7. Also, every Sunday at sundown is drum circle on the part of the beach near the main entrance. Locals get in a big circle and play drums and dance. I also used to work for someone who does horseback riding on the beach (and in the water if you're brave enough!) It's just called BeachHorses. I think his website is beachhorses.com. Sarasota is also probably the most circus-performer populated city in the country (I used to be one) so see if there might be a circus in town. You may also want to check out the Ringling circus museum! And if you are not from the south, check out Publix, my favorite southern grocery store. They have great picknick food in the deli.

During my long life, i have visited most of the beaches in Florida; and, in my opinion the west coast is far superior to the east coast vis-a-vis beach quality. The sand on the west coast is mostly white, while that on the east coast is mostly brown. Walking on the beach on the east coast in July and August is quite a chore in view of the heat of the sand. Also, the water quality on the west coast is far superior to that on the east coast, vis-a-vis color, calmness and temperature.

Interesting post.

As a Canadian... (and of a "certain age" and semi-retired) and so interacting with a lot of Travellers / Snowbirds... I have to say that I find most have a preference for one side of Florida or the other.

Folks are either BIG Fans of the Gulf Coast or the Atlantic side...

If I have to choose... my personal preference is the Atlantic side... although the weather on the Gulf side can be warmer... I am not a big fan of walking on their beaches (one of my past-times when in the sunshine). Gulf Coast Beaches, although they go on for miles... have a lot of shells (which some folks love to collect)... but my sensitive feet, also are acutely aware of the broken bits of shell that irritate the soles of my feet when I walk barefoot.

On the Atlantic side... I don't have this issue... the sand (although browner) is a lot softer... and so I don't have to wear water shoes... and can actually enjoy walking along barefoot.

IMO, for the most part... Beaches on the Atlantic side are a lot more crowded... and also accommodations do seem to be a tad higher because so many folks flock to that side of the state... and there are more big ciites, condos, etc.

To be totally honest though... My absolute favourite part of Florida... is The Keys.

Although there isn't a lot of sandy beaches there (The Keys being ringed by a Coral Reef)... the scenery and laid back no-hurry lifestyle is a lot more Caribbean-ish (and at a fraction of the cost of a visit / winter stay on most Caribbean Islands... and with all the comforts of home and peace of mind that comes with being in the USA)

Something to be said for that.

BUT when compared to the rest of Mainland Florida things are more expensive in The Keys, so it isn't for everyone

Lol... which is ok by me... I like the fact that I can find a bit of solitude somewhere on The Keys ... and enjoy Florida's BEST Weather without hoardes of tourists wherever I go.

Cheers!

I am a beach person. Grew up in New England and loved the Maine beaches and Cape Cod. Sand between my toes, salt air, waves crashing, sunshine, fresh air, and friends make the experience great. I now live in NJ. Jersey beaches are fabulous from May to Sept. Lots of different places. My favorites are Long Beach Island...laid back, gorgeous dunes,lots of kids, and often beautiful waves, Cape May....beautiful beach, great gourmet restaurants, and quaint shops. In winter, I head south. South Beach may be nice but can be cold. I've also been cold in the Keys in the winter. St. Martin is my place in winter. Lots of beautiful white sand beaches and warm breezes. There are many great beaches all over the world. If you are a beach person like me, you will find your place. Have fun.

I lived on Crescent Beach on Siesta Key for a number of years at Midnight Cove Condos beachside and it is fantastic. My parents lived on Longboat Key and there is no comparison to the softness of the sand on Crescent Beach. Longboat is more of a gravely type of sand. Lido Beach aslo does not have the quality of stand that Siesta has.

Many of the condos on Siesta are for short period rents. Just "google" Siesta Key rentals....................The rentals usually also provide cooking facilities which is great for families with kids.

Our son and his family still live in Sarasota and wouldn't consider living anywhere else!

The drive is about 4 hours. You can go south on Tamiami Trail to Naples then across Alligator Alley to Fort Lauderdale and south to Miami or go west out of Sarasota to Arcadia and Okeechobee into West Palm Beach and down to Fort Lauderdale and Miami.

Water temperature in Jan. and Feb. is going to be quite cool but most condo rentals have heated pools. The beach is just great for shelling and walking. If you are into fishing there are a number of accomodations at Marina Jack in downtown Sarasota on the way out to Lido Key and a few more on the bridge to Lido Key. They offer deep sea half and full days and bay fishing in Sarasota Bay which run between Siesta Key and the mainland.

You will love it!

I vote for the Indiana Dunes National Seashore at Beverly Shores, In as the #1 beach in the USA.

Those beaches are nice and I've been to many of them but for actual BEACH, you can't beat Barrow, AK. The sand is unusual, tiny rounded rocks about 1mm and less. Very easy to walk on. Now this is not a beach for swimming (unless you have a dry suit) as there is open water only about 1 month out of the year.

What really attracted me was the color......completely black!! I've not seen that before although I think there is something like it in Korea but not sure.

Revere Beach, just north of Boston, is the best beach in the world. Lot's of "Big Hair" girls there also!!!;)

Having been born and raised in Revere, I can Vouch for the beauty of the "fIRST PUBLIC BEACH IN THE STATES" Having married a former BIG HAIRED GIRL forty four years ago, I miss that bravado ( can that be the best word) maybe HIGH fashioned . At any rate will be checking out Siesta Key in November........ always a thrill to find info on Revere in unexpected places !!!!

I also used to work for someone who does horseback riding on the beach (and in the water if you're brave enough!) It's just called BeachHorses. I think his website is beachhorses.com.

Horses, dogs and other pets are prohibited on Siesta Key's Crescent Beach (other than service animals, of course, when they are in service).

We retired here six years ago. We find it to be fantastic. Last night we walked on the beach in Siesta Key. After a fairly hot day we had evening temperatures in the upper seventies, low humidity and a gentle breeze that made the walk even more enjoyable. We walked along the water's edge passing both young and old people. Whenever eye contact was made with either group silent acknowledgment was shared knowing that we were experiencing something like heaven on earth. While we didn't see any dolphins last night we often get a glimpse of one or more during our sunset walks.

Siesta Beach has earned it's ranking as the arguably number one beach in the United States. For one thing there is no smoking allowed on the beach consequently there are very few cigarette butts to be found. You can bring your own food plus wine and beer cooler to the beach as long as they are not in glass bottles. The waves are gentle and there are at least four lifeguard stands manned ALL YEAR LONG.

All in all Sarasota is a great place to visit and a great place to live.

Siesta key beach is fabulous. I have been vacationing there since the early 80s I would not go anywhere else. Nothing compares to siesta Key. The sand never gets hot because it is quartz. The sand is very white and awesome for walking on. The beach is about seven miles long. The water is clear and fabulous, sandy bottom and shallow for a very long way out. Great with kids. Nice restaurants. Much more casual than longboat. Many condos right on the beach. No hotels. Nothing like Marco island. Siesta key is considered a barrier island of the coast. South of sarasota. Many fine restaurants in sarasota with a very artsy feel. Over the years it has won many awards. Fabulous sunsets!!

Everyone should visit once in their lifetime. It is a "must see"

OK, time to chime in with the Best Beachs along with decent pricing and no large cities surronding them - the Florida Panhandle beaches from Pensacola to Panama City. A number of State and National protected areas, a Large chunk owned by military range so no buildings and no 'improvements' and access to many very natural areas. Pure white sand and a mix of condos on the beach for living on the beach and sitting on your balcony watching the sunsets, along with open beaches.

Come on down!

Den

• 2 weeks later...

Archived