NCL vs. RCCL

nathand95

Before anyone says anything, I HAVE searched for this, but the only information I can come up with is dated info. and I would like the most recent info. as possible. My family and I are looking at booking an 8 night Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Navigator ots (March 31-April 8), but we have never been on RCCL before. We love NCL:the food,service,staff,etc, but for my spring break in 2012 the itineraries just aren't that great-besides the Epic, which is another option.

I saw this itinerary and was shocked! It was priced great,3 new ports,but new line. We're a little hesitant because we've heard really bad things about RCCL. I was hoping some of y'all here could help me out.

How is the service on RCCL compared to NCL?

How's the food???

Is the Navigator a nice ship? (cleanliness? wear and tear beyond the norm? Did you feel cramped?

How is embarkation/debarkation in Ft. Lauderdale?

Those are the only questions I can think of now, but any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

I'm going to the beach for the next week, so I won't have a chance to check this. I just wanted to get this up before I leave. I hope to come back to some great comments! Thank you everyone in advance!

We had 'My Time Dining' on RCL and enjoyed our cruise very much. Ate when we wanted and ended up with only 2 different waiters on a 10 night cruise so found it a happy balance between traditional and NCL's freestyle. The waiter's seemed to chat in the back and they seemed to both seemed to know all our special requests.

If you like the price and itinerary, go for it. I just don't get some peoples fidelity to one cruise line.

I saw this itinerary and was shocked! It was priced great,3 new ports,but new line. We're a little hesitant because we've heard really bad things about RCCL. I was hoping some of y'all here could help me out.

How's the food???

Is the Navigator a nice ship? (cleanliness? wear and tear beyond the norm? Did you feel cramped?

Heard bad things about RCI? RCI carries more passengers than any other cruise line and has the highest number of repeat cruisers. I'm not sure what you heard bad, but I've had nothing but excellent cruises on RCI.

Service compared to NCL. I can't really say because I haven't sailed NCL in 10 years. I will be able to say after next weekend. But what I can say is that if the service was not up to par, I would not have returned to them so many times.

I have never had a problem with the food. MDR food is good and NOS's specialty restaurants, Chops and Portofino, are excellent.

Navigator is a beautiful ship. The pictures sdmike posted speak for themselves. My favorites on the ship are the Royal Promenade and the Viking Crown Lounge at the top. In order to get the views on NCL like the VCL, you have to book the most expensive suite. The pool deck picture admike posted is taken from the VCL.

Feel cramped? No way. Again, the pictures speak for themselves. Look how wide open that pool deck is, and that isn't even all the pools. There is another adults only pool forward of those. The ship is not cramped at all. In fact, it's just the opposite.

Embarkation/Debarkation is very easy. The Port Everglades terminals are very nice and the process is better than Miami.

Here are just a couple more pics:

MDR:

2652661900080150150S600x600Q85.jpg

The ice show:

2451677270080150150S600x600Q85.jpg

Main pool deck and Viking Crown Lounge:

2518031940080150150S600x600Q85.jpg

Before anyone says anything, I HAVE searched for this, but the only information I can come up with is dated info. and I would like the most recent info. as possible. My family and I are looking at booking an 8 night Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Navigator ots (March 31-April 8), but we have never been on RCCL before. We love NCL:the food,service,staff,etc, but for my spring break in 2012 the itineraries just aren't that great-besides the Epic, which is another option.

How's the food???

Those are the only questions I can think of now, but any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

I'm going to the beach for the next week, so I won't have a chance to check this. I just wanted to get this up before I leave. I hope to come back to some great comments! Thank you everyone in advance!

We love both lines equally. Service is great on both. Ft Lauderdale is fine. Have not been on Navigator, but have sailed three times on Freedom class (one size larger) and love them! Food is decent. Chops and Portifino are worth the extra $$$...

Heard bad things about RCI? RCI carries more passengers than any other cruise line and has the highest number of repeat cruisers. I'm not sure what you heard bad, but I've had nothing but excellent cruises on RCI.

Service compared to NCL. I can't really say because I haven't sailed NCL in 10 years. I will be able to say after next weekend. But what I can say is that if the service was not up to par, I would not have returned to them so many times.

I have never had a problem with the food. MDR food is good and NOS's specialty restaurants, Chops and Portofino, are excellent.

Navigator is a beautiful ship. The pictures sdmike posted speak for themselves. My favorites on the ship are the Royal Promenade and the Viking Crown Lounge at the top. In order to get the views on NCL like the VCL, you have to book the most expensive suite. The pool deck picture admike posted is taken from the VCL.

Feel cramped? No way. Again, the pictures speak for themselves. Look how wide open that pool deck is, and that isn't even all the pools. There is another adults only pool forward of those. The ship is not cramped at all. In fact, it's just the opposite.

Embarkation/Debarkation is very easy. The Port Everglades terminals are very nice and the process is better than Miami.

Here are just a couple more pics:

MDR:

2652661900080150150S600x600Q85.jpg

The ice show:

2451677270080150150S600x600Q85.jpg

Main pool deck and Viking Crown Lounge:

2518031940080150150S600x600Q85.jpg

I do agree with you on some of what you say, yes, RCI carries more passengers than other lines (I would have to check to compare with Carnival) but you need to remember the size of their ships and number they have. Stats like you are using, as for any stats really mean almost nothing.

As for someone saying they have herad bad things about RCI, like all lines there are some great features offered by RCI and some negatives.

I am one, that has not had terribly positive expereinces with RCI but I have clients that will not cruise any other line. so it boils down to experience and personal tastes.

Nita

Stats like you are using, as for any stats really mean almost nothing.

I really don't agree with that because the comment I was responding to in using the stats was a comment about hearing RCI was bad. The stats are just a tool to show that if RCI was so bad, they would not sail week after week with full ships and so many repeaters.

Sure there are occasional bad experiences as with any cruise line. In fact it was a horrendous experience on NCL 10 years ago that chased me away and over to RCI. Bad enough that NCL has never been in my consideration until recently. But I'm smart enough to know that if NCL is always sailing with full ships, they must be doing something right.

How's the food???

The NOS is a very nice ship. Lots to do and the Royal Promenade and 3 level dining room really are something to see. We sailed on a 7 day Eastern on the NOS and had an absolutely great time. You won't be cramped on that ship and embarkation in FLL is (IMHO) a little easier than Miami. Plus you'll find cheaper hotels near the port in FLL. Add to that you can spend a day maybe on Hollywood Beach prior to the cruise.

Do it - you will be glad you did!!

Try it! You have a good price on an appealing itinerary during your spring break. Lucky you!

I like NCL and RCL. I have not yet sailed NOS, but I have been on her sister ship Explorer. Loads to do. For me, it is nice to shake it up a bit with different lines.

Food, of course, is subjective, but, personally, I tend to favor RCL's current menus over NCL's. I do like NCL's salad bars better, but RCL has added a nice lunch salad service.

I generally have better cabin and table service on RCL than NCL, but both lines have excellent people and some mediocre ones. There is always some luck of the draw.

I like Port Everglades better than Port of Miami. Loads of hotels, stores and restaurants nearby. FLL is close by and I like that airport better than MIA.

Every RCL ship I have been on has been clean. I did not feel cramped on the sister ship.

I would not hesitate to sail NOS.

I have cruised on the Mariner of the Seas and the Voyager of the Seas and have enjoyed both thoroughly. I cannot give you a great comparrison because I am going on my first NCL cruise in a couple weeks but I would give it a shot. I would definitely recommend the My Time Dining if you are a fan of the freestyle dining.

Enjoy!

I have been on the Navigator and have cruised her sister ships many times. I have had nothing but excellent cruises on RCI and on Voyager Class ships. Between NCL and RCI, I would have to almost always side with RCI. I think the service and food are generally better on RCI and NCL just cannot compare with RCI when it comes to ship design. Book that deal on Navigator. The only thing you may regret is cruising during Spring Break, but you will not regret going on that ship.

I really don't agree with that because the comment I was responding to in using the stats was a comment about hearing RCI was bad. The stats are just a tool to show that if RCI was so bad, they would not sail week after week with full ships and so many repeaters.

Sure there are occasional bad experiences as with any cruise line. In fact it was a horrendous experience on NCL 10 years ago that chased me away and over to RCI. Bad enough that NCL has never been in my consideration until recently. But I'm smart enough to know that if NCL is always sailing with full ships, they must be doing something right.

I agree that it is interesting that the ships are full but the company is still not making a profit. You can't run a non-profitable company forever. On th other hand RCL Stock just recieved and upgrade as did CCL.

Both lines are excellent. Always good to try other lines and find out for your self rather than rely on bias opinions on the boards. As a Diamond + member of RCI it is my preferred line. However I would not hesitate to sail on several other lines if the port lineup and price is right.

Comparing cruiselines is like comparing sports teams. Some people are very loyal to one and dont ever say a bad thing about there favorite, others arnt fanatical, they just go for a good time.

While Im very Loyal to my SF sports teams, cruiselines Im not. I want a good product @ a good price.

Rccl has a good product, as do all other major cruise lines, or they wouldnt be in business this long.

While I havnt cruised on NCL yet, I have heard lots of bad things about them. But I look forward to my upcoming cruise to form my own opinions. And how bad can a cruise be Im not @ work and Im drinking a DOD in a foreign country(Hawaii isnt foreign)

I have sailed on the Nav for 2 cruises. Overall the Nav is a nice ship, very beautiful, but it is showing its age. Saying that most ships 10 yrs old are. We just got off the Radiance and she has definatly aged since the last time we sailed on her. On the Nav our hand rail on our balcony hadnt been varnished for a long time and was getting dried out. The carpet in the hallways between cabins was stained in some areas. But overall nice ship and would definatly sail on her again.

Personally I am not a fan of the promenade. I like to walk on a ship and see the ocean outside. Maybe that is why the Radiance class is my favorite class of ships for Royal. The promenade is a great place to meet up with friends and people watch.. While the promenade is innovative and definatly a must see. So is a new shopping mall, which it feels like after a few cruises. Especially after going back on the Radiance. I look forward to the Oasis to see how they have improved on it.

The Ice rink is something I did miss on Radiance especially during Quest;)

We have done MTD 3 times on RCCL MTD on Nav or RCCL in general isnt my time. The 630-8pm dining time is almost pre-booked before you get on the ship. We had to make a reservation the night before and still had to eat before 6pm.

On the Radiance we did reg MDR and told the head waiter we would prob eat up in the WJ one night since we were going to be late. He said dont worry about it I will have a table for you If you come in second seating he did and this was on fishermans platter night. So the only advantage I have seen with Royal MTD is if you want a 2top

I think Princess has it the best. If you havnt made a reservation, you show up anytime and if they cant seat you immediatly, they give you a pager. That way you dont have to sit @ the dining room like you do on RCCl.

Personally I like the food better on Carnival than Royal but Portofinos is defiantly worth the extra money.

Fll is a great cruise port and flights in and out are usually cheaper and easier than MIA. It does get busy on cruise days thou especially when the Oasis or Allure is in. Just book a flight in the afternoon and dont worry about it

Now the port is different Ive been in with 6 other ships @ one time(Oasis one of them) and didnt seem any busier than when I was in there with 2 ships

These are my opinions and observations not anyone elses. Just like the color of your house some people will like it and some people wont:rolleyes:

We sailed on Explorer (sister ship) & Splendor OTS and Sun/Spirit NCL.

We liked our experiences with both lines (not our favorites, but nice).

We like better with RCCL - larger cabins, a bit less crowded due to more activities for the kids + sports deck etc, better buffets and faster service from stewards (maybe our luck).

Shows are good on both as well as smaller scale entertainment.

RCCL has of course unusual things like ice show/skating, Promenade parades etc, but these are one time things.

Wow! Thank you so much for the replies everyone! I didn't expect all of this. Y'all definitely make me want to sail on the Navigator tomorrow. I brought up the idea to my parents this past week and basically it comes to down to going to France with school or this cruise. Oh such a tough decision!

Thanks again for all the wonderful input. I'm so glad I found this website!

Archived