"J" cabins on Main deck

elycelynne

I know that these are the biggest insides on the Vista and Signature-class ships. I was wondering if there were any "bad" cabins among those, in terms of location. For instance, can noise from the Main Stage rehearsals during the day be heard from the ones that are farther forward? Or can a lot of noise be heard from the atrium in those that are closer to midship? Any other caveats?

In ocean view rooms on the Main Decks we have never had problems with noise from the atrium, elevators or stage so I guess you wouldn't have it in inside rooms. Maybe Ruth could have her say here.

The only time we had any noise was when we were under the kitchen and boy rolling carts drove us nuts at 3 a.m. and 11 -p.m.

I know that these are the biggest insides on the Vista and Signature-class ships. I was wondering if there were any "bad" cabins among those, in terms of location. For instance, can noise from the Main Stage rehearsals during the day be heard from the ones that are farther forward? Or can a lot of noise be heard from the atrium in those that are closer to midship? Any other caveats?

In ocean view rooms on the Main Decks we have never had problems with noise from the atrium, elevators or stage so I guess you wouldn't have it in inside rooms. Maybe Ruth could have her say here.

The only time we had any noise was when we were under the kitchen and boy rolling carts drove us nuts at 3 a.m. and 11 -p.m.

There will be less noise from above if your J category interior staterooms are located on the starboard side of the ship! :)

I've stayed in J-category cabins on the Main Deck aboard Vistas and never had any problem either from forward show room or the atrium. There's a significant buffer space between the Atrium and the J-cabins thanks to the mid-ships elevator/stair lobby.

Can I add a question about the "K" cabins on main deck as well? I know that they are situated further toward the stern of the ship. Are they as large as the "J" cabins and would there be any noise issues in that area?

We have cruised in 1068 and had no noise issues and family members were in "NN" 1012 with no noise issues from the show lounge.

I just thought that we were supposed to keep these cabins a secret.....

There will be less noise from above if your J category interior staterooms are located on the starboard side of the ship! :)

Is that because of Northern Lights, or some other reason? I saw some unspecified port side blank space on Deck 2 in the deck plan. Is that part of the kitchen, or something else that's noisy?

I just had J1058 inside cabin, on Nieuw Amsterdam on the transatlantic Apr 3-18 and got disco noise everynight and did not like it. The good thing is it was usually over by 12:30 am. Was sure glad people were not up there late.

Will be more careful about room placement next time, thought I was far enough away from noisey areas above, but not so.

I've stayed all along the starboard side, heading toward mid-ship, and never had any noise problems there---either from any side, or from above.

I also stayed on port side, quite a bit forward, and didn't hear anything. I would be very careful about booking under Northern Lights, as Lettienets suggested. I expect the reverberating bass would get to me.

The cabins closest to the showlounge are still far enough away that you won't hear anything. RevNeal already spoke of the distance from any noise-making from the atrium. I agree, no problem there.

The cabins closest to the showlounge are still far enough away that you won't hear anything. RevNeal already spoke of the distance from any noise-making from the atrium. I agree, no problem there.

I never heard any noise from the showlounge or the atrium either and it sure was nice being close to both. My prob was the disco but otherwise, super big room, just great!

I had K1116 on Westerdam and occasionally had music noise from the interior corridor of the crew area. But it didn't last long. I liked it well enough that I booked it for 24 days next year on the Nieuw Amsterdam. EM

I had a J inside on the Oosterdam, a few doors down from the show lounge, on the port side. I didn't hear any noise at all during the day or evening. However, during the evenings, I wasn't usually back in my cabin until midnight, so it is possible there could have been some noise that I never heard.

The aft Cat Ks on Main deck are great. We have had them on Westerdam and Eurodam and will have one again on the Noordam this fall. They're the perfect location. Very little foot traffic, easy access to the elevators, no noise being in the aft, and of course the perk of being the largest inside rooms. :)

As for which Cat Js to avoid on Main deck - anything under Northern Lights. From the deck plans, I would avoid J 1044-1068 on the port side. My DD was friends with the DJ on our last HAL cruise and he said every cruise he got noise complaints from the Js and OVs underneath the disco. He said he felt badly about it, but it was a serious design flaw in the Vistas and Signatures to place cabins directly under the disco.

I had K1116 on Westerdam and occasionally had music noise from the interior corridor of the crew area. But it didn't last long. I liked it well enough that I booked it for 24 days next year on the Nieuw Amsterdam. EM

As of now we will also be in K1116 on our next cruise. Glad to hear that it was a good choice. (Unless HAL has one of those great sales on VH guar. cabins:D)

Archived