All Things Explorer of the Seas! -- Part 2

I have always cruised in interior cabins and there has always been a fridge - or more specifically a cooler disguising itself as a fridge (same as all other cabins as I understand it). I'm not sure where you're getting your information.

Have been in both ocean view and interior cabins on Grandeur of the Seas, no fridge, friends with us on 1 of those cruises also in ocean view, no fridge. Spent 17 nights in Cabin 6297 on EOS and no fridge. I don't think I missed it. The cabins are not that big. As am booked for Cabin 6297 for 12 nights in Dec. 2011, can you tell me where to find it in the room. Also, the water and soda that your steward places in your home is always left on desk top along with ice bucket and glasses. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks !

Anne

PS Will be very annoyed with myself if I missed a fridge all those nights ! LOL !

deck 4...you can't go outside on deck 5.....(well you can if you're hanging off the window washing thinggie...)

they only was to walk all around the ship is out by the pool.....and above.....i haven't had enough coffee to make sense......

the walking track is on deck 12 i think...but there really isn't much shade up there....

if you want to sit in the shade, hang with the lifeboats!! (not literally...)

Hi Meg,

Were you on either Nov.12, 2009 Members Cruise or the Thanksgiving 2009 cruise ? We did a B2B and I seem to remember your posts from one of those cruises. I remember "Swamps of NJ", the Phillies and your very informative posts.

Anne

Spent 17 nights in Cabin 6297 on EOS and no fridge. I don't think I missed it. The cabins are not that big. As am booked for Cabin 6297 for 12 nights in Dec. 2011, can you tell me where to find it in the room.

We were in 6657 (inside) on the Explorer and there was DEFINITELY a fridge/cooler in the room. It is located under the TV in a cabinet.

I was just looking through the reviews for EOS, and noticed that when embarking into Bayonne, you need to take a bus from the drop off point or parking point to the ship. My question is, do you have to carry your luggage with you on the bus, or is there somewhere to check the luggage first? We tend to bring too much and was wondering how we were going to get this on and off a bus. Thanks for your help.

I was just looking through the reviews for EOS, and noticed that when embarking into Bayonne, you need to take a bus from the drop off point or parking point to the ship. My question is, do you have to carry your luggage with you on the bus, or is there somewhere to check the luggage first? We tend to bring too much and was wondering how we were going to get this on and off a bus. Thanks for your help.

just your carry on you take on the shuttle bus from the terminal to the ship

You check your luggage at curbside when you pull up with the exception of your carry on.

What you check will be delivered to your room.

Hi Meg,

Were you on either Nov.12, 2009 Members Cruise or the Thanksgiving 2009 cruise ? We did a B2B and I seem to remember your posts from one of those cruises. I remember "Swamps of NJ", the Phillies and your very informative posts.

Anne

thanks....probably the turkey cruise!!! lolol.......

Hi!!

We were in 6657 (inside) on the Explorer and there was DEFINITELY a fridge/cooler in the room. It is located under the TV in a cabinet.

but i don't think they get all that cold, so if someone wants to keep things cold, not going to work very well...actually i think that this is actually the mini bar and will be full......

How do I find the thread all things explorer of the seas part 1. I had saved some of the posts in my favorite places on my computer and when I click on it now it says "You do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons"

Have we lost everything that was posted on that thread. I realize we should be posting on part 2 and not part 1 but there was a lot of good information on that thread.

i would email community at cruisecritic dot com and ask...they will answer but it will take a couple days...i think the old thread was archived and is no longer accessible, but there IS an announcement/sticky at the top of the RC board...

of course, feel free to ask your questions again...:D;):p

When I drop my luggage in Bayonne and go to park the car, what do you think I will need to do about my less-than-mobile spouse who can walk perhaps 100 feet, but does not use a wheelchair unless he has to? Will the shuttle that picks up the bags pick him up as well and take him to wherever you go to check in?

Or, will I go park the car (keeping him with me) and get (us both) picked up by a shuttle?

Or, do I need to make wheelchair arrangements with EOS?

Or what?? Anyone with insight would be helpful. This handicapped thing is new to us and I have been shocked at how poorly it is managed in some places. We have found just being able to "be prepared" is best.

Thanks.

When I drop my luggage in Bayonne and go to park the car, what do you think I will need to do about my less-than-mobile spouse who can walk perhaps 100 feet, but does not use a wheelchair unless he has to? Will the shuttle that picks up the bags pick him up as well and take him to wherever you go to check in?

Or, will I go park the car (keeping him with me) and get (us both) picked up by a shuttle?

Or what?? Anyone with insight would be helpful. This handicapped thing is new to us and I have been shocked at how poorly it is managed in some places. We have found just being able to "be prepared" is best.

Thanks.

When you drop off your luggage, your spouse can stay right in that area, while you park the car. Then you can simply walk right in to check in. I drop off my DW and DD's when I go to park the car. The baggage drop off is right by the doors for the check in area. I would call RCI if you feel that a wheelchair would be required. There are benches for your spouse to wait on while you park. They are right in the drop off area near the doors for check in and security.

Eric

Edited by Pomperaugrr

Thanks.

As Eric said, you will have no problem.

So relax, and start thinking about your cruise. Join your roll call and have a great time.

When you drop off your luggage, your spouse can stay right in that area, while you park the car. Then you can simply walk right in to check in. I drop off my DW and DD's when I go to park the car. The baggage drop off is right by the doors for the check in area. I would call RCI if you feel that a wheelchair would be required. There are benches for your spouse to wait on while you park. They are right in the drop off area near the doors for check in and security.

Eric

I love your final quote about being happy - it is absolutely perfect. I will steal it... I mean borrow it, if you don't mind. Not for my CC signature but I would like to put it in my office. It is just perfect! Thanks.

Bob:)

I was hoping someone could answer a question about the corner aft rooms on deck 7. (I believe I remember some of you have stayed in them before)

I am very very excited that our family will have both corner afts (as well as the adjacent E1 rooms next door) on deck 7. But, I've read that these balconies are dark because they are covered. Is that your experience?

Thanks!

Our final payment is coming up next month for our Nov. cruise. Since we have mostly cruised Princess the last few years, and always 10 day ones, I know what a good/fair price to pay for one. I don't know that with RC. I booked the 10 nite on the Explorer when the WOW sale was going on. I booked at $2800. with the OBC from RC of $200. plus the TA gave us a $206. OBC. I was hoping that there'd be a price drop. I think $2800. for a E1 is high for Nov., even with the $400. OBC. We never pd that on Princess. Yes, we won't have to get airfare, but I never usually pay for it, I use FF miles. The ship doesn't appear to be near full, and people might cancel with final payment approaching.

I'm thinking of cancelling and hoping to re-book. Has this worked out for anyone that's done it?

Thanks!

Our final payment is coming up next month for our Nov. cruise. Since we have mostly cruised Princess the last few years, and always 10 day ones, I know what a good/fair price to pay for one. I don't know that with RC. I booked the 10 nite on the Explorer when the WOW sale was going on. I booked at $2800. with the OBC from RC of $200. plus the TA gave us a $206. OBC. I was hoping that there'd be a price drop. I think $2800. for a E1 is high for Nov., even with the $400. OBC. We never pd that on Princess. Yes, we won't have to get airfare, but I never usually pay for it, I use FF miles. The ship doesn't appear to be near full, and people might cancel with final payment approaching.

I'm thinking of cancelling and hoping to re-book. Has this worked out for anyone that's done it?

Thanks!

This is my first cruise, so no advice. But I think we're going on the same cruise. Nov. 10th on Explorer?

Our room category is sold out. I keep checking for a price drop. I'm wondering if after final payment perhaps cancellations and drops will happen. I'm very happy with our cabin, and the price we got for it, and it's paid for, so I'm not at all considering cancelling.

Anyway.....

There is usually not price drops on the explorer. Our price has gone up $500 pp since we booked. I think you booked when prices were at the higher end. Our kids got their room d1 for less than 1200pp. Dont know if that helps

There is usually not price drops on the explorer. Our price has gone up $500 pp since we booked. I think you booked when prices were at the higher end. Our kids got their room d1 for less than 1200pp. Dont know if that helps.

That's been our experience as well. Since we booked, the price almost doubled at one point (:eek:) and it's come back down again, but it's never come as low as the price we booked at. I suppose it depends on your original price (it's also never gotten as low as it was when we first saw it... it went up in the time it took us to book). We are also on our first EOS/RCI cruise, so I don't know if this is the norm, but it's been our experience so far.

has anyone ordered the chocolate covered strawberries for their room from gifts and gear on the Explorer? I have read some reviews that they are great and some reviews that they are soggy. I don't know if the bad reviews were from people on the Explorer and wondered if it made a difference.

I would like to order them for my MIL, this will be her first cruise ever and she loves chocolate covered strawberries.

Thanks,

Loralie

There is usually not price drops on the explorer. Our price has gone up $500 pp since we booked. I think you booked when prices were at the higher end. Our kids got their room d1 for less than 1200pp. Dont know if that helps

We were so lucky to change our cruise from last April to this one at the perfect time. The price for our GS was only $300 more than what we were paying for a E2 balcony cabin in April and an extra night. It went up the next week. It's my little luxury for having to postpone this trip, yet again.

I was hoping someone could answer a question about the corner aft rooms on deck 7. (I believe I remember some of you have stayed in them before)

I am very very excited that our family will have both corner afts (as well as the adjacent E1 rooms next door) on deck 7. But, I've read that these balconies are dark because they are covered. Is that your experience?

Thanks!

Yes, your balcony will be covered. You can get sun depending on the time of day and angle of sun too!

We love the fact they are covered. Get the best of both worlds.

Tim

has anyone ordered the chocolate covered strawberries for their room from gifts and gear on the Explorer? I have read some reviews that they are great and some reviews that they are soggy. I don't know if the bad reviews were from people on the Explorer and wondered if it made a difference.

I would like to order them for my MIL, this will be her first cruise ever and she loves chocolate covered strawberries.

Thanks,

Loralie

I ordered them for us on Explorer this past May and they were WONDERFUL!!!

Tim

Thanks!

You are paying $2800 total, for 2 people in an E1? I don't think that is high for an Explorer 10 night.

If the ship is really empty, yes, I think they will discount after final, because that ship always sails full. I have been on 5 Ex cruises and I have seen price drops after final for certain (not all) categories on all of those cruises, but often the rooms are far forward and there are fewer triples/quads. It seems they often have inside category K & N left over. On our 9 night June cruise, I had paid $1849pp for a D1 that went down to $1509 after final. Not sure what the earliest bookers paid so hard to compare.

Usually though, Ex starts out high and they have suprise drops along the way, when you least expect them. Last year, GS prices were one price for the longest time, then they discounted them to $1899pp (for a 5 night Bermuda in July) and they were all gone in a week. In June, someone mentioned that prices were good on the March 30 (Easter week) cruise. I looked and JS were $979pp (GS were ~$1599pp, OS ~$1549pp. 3 & 4 were ~$500pp It was weird pricing). Today JS are $1429pp and very few left (and no OS or GS are left, but I really think TA's grabbed them) I give you these examples to show what a 'good' price is on Ex. (although keep in mind these are summer prices so non-Thanksgiving Nov should probably be cheaper)

Summer prices on Ex are always higher.

They have discounted prices for Easter week the last 4-5 years I have followed, although not always after final. You would think this is an expensive week but you can get some deals.

Higher suites usually sell out on Ex before final.

I think a lot of TAs hold Ex cabins because I always see some categories release a lot of cabins right around final.

I would be watching the higher categories as well as my own before I decided what to do. If they have 40 D1 left right before final, they are going to decrease prices. If they have 20 JS, same.

check this each week to get a feel for what cabins go on sale and how much they go for after final: http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Multi_Dest/Special_Offers/rci_sales_event.pdf

Edited by marci22