All Things Explorer of the Seas! -- Part 2

If you have selected MTD, which dining area will you be assigned? The dining rooms seem huge, but it seems some will be set aside for traditional dining. Where are the MTDers seated?

Or, are we intermingled??

If you have selected MTD, which dining area will you be assigned? The dining rooms seem huge, but it seems some will be set aside for traditional dining. Where are the MTDers seated?

Or, are we intermingled??

Most of the time they will seat you on deck 5

Most of the time they will seat you on deck 5

Red Devil--I notice you really like the Explorer :D I also notice that you like to plan cruises very far in advance. I couldn't imagine booking a cruise three weeks before sailing. For me, the best part is the planning and the anticipation (well, maybe not the best part lol), so I am totally with you.

We just returned and had no problems with the overspray issue. The Drydock building is along the far side of the terminal. We parked as close to the terminal as possible and all was fine. We got to the port around 11:30 and had an excellent selection for parking. When we left I noticed that there were cars that had to park near the Drydock building so getting there early did have its advantages. We did purchase and use a car cover (from Sears $35). It was nothing fancy, but it served it's purpose. I did not notice any problems with any of the cars parked in our area.

No - there are no shuttles from EWR or Newark Penn Station to the pier. Cab or car service is about $50-55. RCL may sell transfers from EWR to the pier - I guess that would be considered a "shuttle".

Any idea if RCI has transfers from Manhattan?

Speaking of overspray...is there any particular car cover that is widely accepted as the best (for function and price) on this board? Trying to save myself some research;)

I purchased a disposable car cover on eBay. Our cruise is early December and on our last cruise the car was covered with overspray. The shipyard paid several hundred dollars to remove it. We are prepared this time. These covers are also at Amazon.

Is there any parking area at Cape Liberty where you won't get any paint spray?

no and they don't paint ships all the time...and not in winter....

i guess if you park as close to the ship (explorer/summit, etc) as possible you're better off...

the drydock company WILL pay for repairs...note that RCCL does not own the port, nor the parking.....

I purchased a disposable car cover on eBay. Our cruise is early December and on our last cruise the car was covered with overspray. The shipyard paid several hundred dollars to remove it. We are prepared this time. These covers are also at Amazon.

If you do find paint on your car. Who did you notify and what was the procedure?

Just came back from the EOS last week and wanted to report I had a FABULOUS time. If anyone is worried if they'll enjoy her, no need to fret. She looks great, the staff is wonderful and the food was very good! Much better than my last few RCCL cruises.

I don't park at the port, so no comments on the overspray issue, but there was no traffic into the port at about 11:30, check is was fast, at least for my priority check in. I boarded the ship immediately and was soon enjoying Honey Stung Chicken. Which was very good this time. :)

Enjoy all of you upcoming cruisers!

Any idea if RCI has transfers from Manhattan?

we are booked in on a package staying at Marriot Marquee in Manhattan 3 days prior to the cruise and i know we are going to be collected from the hotel and taken to the port, im not sure if you could enquire about getting a transfer like that??

Seriously? I have to disagree. I would much rather sail out of NJ than Manhattan (and I have to drive right by the Manhattan port to get to Cape Liberty.)

The only thing I'll give you is that the physical structure of the port buildings in Manhattan is nicer. But as far as personnel, ease of check-in, all the things that really matter to me..I'll take NJ any day.

Come to think of it, my perception may be colored by the cruise lines I was sailing on. My 3 times out of NY was with Carnival and Norwegian. My 2 times out of NJ was with RCL.

We sailed out of NYC on Celebrity several years ago and I thought it was a breeze.

Actually the Oasis class ships do fit. If I recall correctly, they brought at least Oasis through NY for a big welcome to the States party before heading down south that was covered on the NYC area local news outlets. They just have to leave and arrive with the lowest tide and have less clearance than the Voyager class ships. I got to see when FOS was in Bayonne for its sample overnight cruise when it first came to the states before my first cruise on Explorer.

Looking forward to being on EOS December 1st. It can't get here soon enough!

Oasis of the Seas: height 236 ft. above waterline.

Verrazano Narrows Bridge: Clearance of 228 ft. at mean high water.

Oasis and Allure won't, and haven't, be visiting NYC anytime soon.

Edited by Ocean Boy

we are booked in on a package staying at Marriot Marquee in Manhattan 3 days prior to the cruise and i know we are going to be collected from the hotel and taken to the port, im not sure if you could enquire about getting a transfer like that??

Thanks. I will contact them at some point. Otherwise we will either get a ride or take car service.

Just came back from the EOS last week and wanted to report I had a FABULOUS time. If anyone is worried if they'll enjoy her, no need to fret. She looks great, the staff is wonderful and the food was very good! Much better than my last few RCCL cruises.

I don't park at the port, so no comments on the overspray issue, but there was no traffic into the port at about 11:30, check is was fast, at least for my priority check in. I boarded the ship immediately and was soon enjoying Honey Stung Chicken. Which was very good this time. :)

Enjoy all of you upcoming cruisers!

Several questions, please:

Any Zumba offered on board?

Are they using the ticket system for the ice show?

How bad were the elevators at boarding?

Thanks!

MARAPRINCE

Several questions, please:

Any Zumba offered on board?

Are they using the ticket system for the ice show?

How bad were the elevators at boarding?

Thanks!

MARAPRINCE

Hi, Mara.

I did not visit the spa/gym, so I can't say for sure if this was offered.

I was one of the first groups to board, so the elevators weren't bad at all. I don't know about later on in the process, though.

Yes, they distribute tickets the first evening for the ice show. Which is not to be missed, BTW!

As I said previously, I never paid the 3% charge - I drew cash maybe 2 - 3X's from the cage - I had about 1100 points by the end of the cruise - maybe more

Can earn points at the table games (3 card poker)?

Thanks