All Things Explorer of the Seas! -- Part 2

Thanks. I will contact them at some point. Otherwise we will either get a ride or take car service.

the Marriott Marquis will not offer any transportation...i believe that the person who posted about the shuttle has booked some sort of package through the cruiseline that has transfers...otherwise paying to get FROM Manhattan to NJ can be expensive...that's why we suggest a car service. (also, sometimes booking a room/transfers through RCI is more expensive than doing it on your own..again, depends where you're from and how you booked. I think, again, that the person you quoted may be from the UK...)

oopsy...didn't see that you're from Long Island....!! You probably already know that it costs a boatload to get to Jersey!! LOLOL

Edited by megr1125

Oasis of the Seas: height 236 ft. above waterline.

Verrazano Narrows Bridge: Clearance of 228 ft. at mean high water.

Oasis and Allure won't, and haven't, be visiting NYC anytime soon.

Correct! Only Freedom class and below will fit!!

and we sure don't need ANOTHER toll increase if a ship bumps into a bridge!:eek::rolleyes:;)

those with kids, do u think it will be ok for the two boys to wear "black" sneakers to the dining room - they will not be comfortable wearing dress shoes each night and i'm thinkiing they are 9 and 11 and after dinner they'll be running to the kids club!

thanks

This is exactly what DS did on oasis. NO sense buying dress shoes that he will pout grow before ever needing them again

Correct! Only Freedom class and below will fit!!

and we sure don't need ANOTHER toll increase if a ship bumps into a bridge!:eek::rolleyes:;)

Pretty soon we will see discussions here about.... should I pay the airfare and fly to Florida to pick up a cruise or should I pay the bridge tolls to sail out of NJ?:eek::D:D

We checked out prices. Sail from Fl or NJ. NJ was EXPENSIVE. However, it was cheaper

than flying 9 people to FL. :-) It was a cruise for our 50th. Our family lived in Jersey or on LI. Cheaper to sail from NJ. Our son in NJ got a van for us (AND he paid for it). So 8 of us were in the van. When we got to the ship, I asked our other son (who had driven) how much did we owe him for parking. Since he said "nothing". We got our transportation free. :-)

It was great. Our 10 yr old granddaughter loved the glass backed elevators. When she got

tired of every thing else, she rode the elevator. Sarah did not like the RC group. I saw her a lot when I was sitting by the pool. She would go by after the pool and come back with the yogurt (soft ice cream). btw, she rode the elevator because she had never seen an

elevator with an "open back". That's a quote from her. I guess LI doesn't have elevators like that. :-) Our family also enjoyed everything else on the ship - except rock climbing. I was not paying attention to when it was. (-: But, buses & ferries were running very well.

They all got a good taste of Bermuda. Maybe in 10 years we'll do a more exotic cruise. lol

joann

Anyone recently off the ship with kids in the 12-14 age group for the kid's club? My daughter has been going to Adventure Ocean all her life, but this is the first time she'll be in the 12-14 age group. Before, it was all kid's games and fun, but I was just wondering what exactly the 12-14 age group does for their organized activities?

Thanks for any info! 31 more days! YIPPEEE!! :D

Ok all you Explorer veterans, what kind of crowds can we expect in the Windjammer. I know embarkation day is a zoo, I'm talking about the rest of the cruise. Last April on the Radiance the Windjammer was very manageable very little lines and tables always available even during the busiest of times.

Ok all you Explorer veterans, what kind of crowds can we expect in the Windjammer. I know embarkation day is a zoo, I'm talking about the rest of the cruise. Last April on the Radiance the Windjammer was very manageable very little lines and tables always available even during the busiest of times.

We didn't have any problems finding a table at the WJ. We tended to go after the peak periods, tho.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Did 2 cruises on the EOS. Never a problem or complaint about the WJ .... or anything else for that matter.

Great ship and crew.

I know this cruise (3/13) is far away but I like to book as soon as possible and I have 3 questions.

Is there no place to park in the terminal where your car won't get paint on it?:confused:

And what is the abbreviation for Explorer because isn't Enchantment EOS?:confused:

Cruised on Enchantment before - this will be our first cruise on Explorer. Sounds like a nice ship. Anyone know when she is due to go to drydock? Thanks :)

I know this cruise (3/13) is far away but I like to book as soon as possible and I have 3 questions.

Is there no place to park in the terminal where your car won't get paint on it?:confused:

And what is the abbreviation for Explorer because isn't Enchantment EOS?:confused:

Cruised on Enchantment before - this will be our first cruise on Explorer. Sounds like a nice ship. Anyone know when she is due to go to drydock? Thanks :)

The only time you MAY get an over spray is if the dry dock is painting while you are at sea. There are three ways to minimize/eliminate it; #1 Get a car cover, #2 park close to the building on the side opposite of the dry dock #3 leave the car at home/hotel and take a car service. I have read, on this board, that the dry dock company will make it good, IF you are affected.

The two letter abbreviation for Explorer is EX, Enchantment is EN.

This is exactly what DS did on oasis. NO sense buying dress shoes that he will pout grow before ever needing them again

If they are kids, no need to worry about dress shoes. They are kids and should be able to enjoy themselves and not worry about sore feet. They could easily get away with fishermen's sandals since it is mostly a closed shoe but very comfortable.

MARAPRINCE

they don't paint all the time..park as close to the terminal as you can

EX...enchantment is EN

she was just there in, eh, 2009 or 10 IIRC...

see other answers above!

The only time you MAY get an over spray is if the dry dock is painting while you are at sea. There are three ways to minimize/eliminate it; #1 Get a car cover, #2 park close to the building on the side opposite of the dry dock #3 leave the car at home/hotel and take a car service. I have read, on this board, that the dry dock company will make it good, IF you are affected.

The two letter abbreviation for Explorer is EX, Enchantment is EN.

the above is correct....people should know, however, that RCI does not own the pier/drydock/parking.....and yes the drydock company will pay for repairs/repainting....and from what i have read, they take care of it quickly!

that's one reason i don't park there...the other is, well, it's just more fun taking a car service!

A few questions regarding embarkation:

- After you check in, you have to take a bus to get to the actual ship, right? Do the buses take you to a separate building? Do you go through security before or after the bus ride?

- Are the buses school buses, coach buses, etc.? I am having difficulty conceptually.

- When you physically board the ship, where do you enter? I recall entering on deck four on other RCI ships and immediately being on in the inside part of the ship, but we entered on the outdoor balcony part of deck four on Liberty. I was wondering if Explorer is the same.

A few questions regarding embarkation:

- After you check in, you have to take a bus to get to the actual ship, right? Do the buses take you to a separate building? Do you go through security before or after the bus ride?

- Are the buses school buses, coach buses, etc.? I am having difficulty conceptually.

- When you physically board the ship, where do you enter? I recall entering on deck four on other RCI ships and immediately being on in the inside part of the ship, but we entered on the outdoor balcony part of deck four on Liberty. I was wondering if Explorer is the same.

Security before as you enter the building when you arrive. Bus is like a city bus, no you leave the first building and get off and on the ship. I think you enter deck 2 but somewhere in the bowels of the ship at least this is how it was the last time we were on her. The bus ride is very short. I thinks its just too long to walk, as the ship isnt park right by checkin. Hope this helps. If you can find the old explorer thread I think there are pics. Radio might also have some pics in his reviews.

The bus is a city coach type of bus with wheelchair access. It drive a few hundred yards and drops you off at the ship where you enter on deck five into the Royal Promenade.

You could walk to the ship however it is very dangerous as this is a working dock so the bus is for safety purposes.

Ok Mets550 here goes:

1. It pulls u right up to the ship and u walk up the gangplank on to the ship and head for the elevators.

2. I believe it's a NJ transit bus but just think of an everyday city bus and u get the picture

3. U board at the lowest levels of the ship just like when u are in port ex. St Thomas San Juan etc

Hope that helps