All Things Explorer of the Seas! -- Part 2

The 9/11 memorial is where in relation to the ship? Can you get close to it?

I would like take some photos of this and would like to get close up views.

Thanks in advance!

-Lisa

Yes, you can get photos from the ship. It's right there and you will sail right past it.

anyone know when the Explorer is going to dry dock again?
I did read somewhere just recently that Explorer is scheduled for a set of upgrades in the dining venues which would take her out of comission for a short period. As I remember it, the date was sometime in 2013/14 time frame. It's probably not concidered an official drydock.

Thanks in advance!

-Lisa

This picture was taken from the grounds of the memorial, the Explorer is docked very close.

GEDC0017.jpg

This is a screen capture of Mapquest that shows you the dock area and how to get to the memorial.

PortPic.jpg

Edited by MikeDaDog

Thanks in advance!

-Lisa

It is very close to the ship. Here is a picture taken from the ship

IMG_2367.jpg?t=1280683361

The bus is a city coach type of bus with wheelchair access. It drive a few hundred yards and drops you off at the ship where you enter on deck five into the Royal Promenade.

You could walk to the ship however it is very dangerous as this is a working dock so the bus is for safety purposes.

There is no entrance or exit on deck 5 of the Voyager class ships. The lifeboats hang outside on deck 5 which is the Royal Promenade. In Florida Voyager class ships receive passengers on deck 4 and at ports of call they use deck 1 for gangways and tendering. In NJ they also use deck 1 as this is not a typical terminal.

Thanks in advance!

-Lisa

Opus,

If EX is docked to her starboard side the Memorial is directly off her starboard bow. That means right in front of her to the right. If you go to Radio's site and look at his pictures of the EX cruises there are some great pictures showing the relationship. DW & I stopped at the Memorial on the morning of our 9/11/10 cruise and it took an extra 15 minutes (10 of which I was paying my respects). And, of course, we'll get to see it up close and personal in 29 days.

There is no entrance or exit on deck 5 of the Voyager class ships. The lifeboats hang outside on deck 5 which is the Royal Promenade. In Florida Voyager class ships receive passengers on deck 4 and at ports of call they use deck 1 for gangways and tendering. In NJ they also use deck 1 as this is not a typical terminal.

sorry wrong ship. Thanks for the correction

Thanks in advance!

-Lisa

yes....you can walk over.......prob easier to go before you check in.....you can park right next to it/the ship. there IS security there and he/she may/may not make you open the trunk...

as for the buses..they are borrowed from Rutgers Univ...most are the accordion style buses....they do bend, and there are Wheelchair ramps that can fold out..

We are sailing on 12/11 but need help figuring out travel from the Baltimore-area. So far we know about taking the train to Newark, taking a bus from Baltimore to the port, and of course driving. Any other options? Anyone interested in car pooling??

We are sailing on 12/11 but need help figuring out travel from the Baltimore-area. So far we know about taking the train to Newark, taking a bus from Baltimore to the port, and of course driving. Any other options? Anyone interested in car pooling??

Try this question on your roll call.

Hi all,

Two questions... On the seven night bahamas cruise:

1) any idea how many and when the formail nights are?

2) any idea where I could find copies of the daily activity newsletters (the name escapes me)?

Thanks a million,

Fernando

Hi all,

Two questions... On the seven night bahamas cruise:

1) any idea how many and when the formail nights are?

2) any idea where I could find copies of the daily activity newsletters (the name escapes me)?

Thanks a million,

Fernando

Formal night is normally the 2nd night of the cruise. Also, the EOS hasn't done a 7 night Bahamas cruise previously so there aren't any Cruise Compasses for this exact itinerary out there. Maybe looking at the 7 night Caribbean compass can give you some idea.

we answered you on the East Coast board...:D.

I'm starting to pack for our Nov. cruise on the EOS. It's our 1st cruise out of NY, NJ, also our 1st on the EOS. We've been on quite a few caribbean cruises, but always out of Florida. The clothes we packed for them were always just summer clothes, except for the ones we wore to or from the ship. What does everyone pack for this kind of cruise? How many cold days is there, or do you still go around the ship during the day in your shorts, even though you're coming or going into cold weather?

Thanks!

I love being outside on the ships so I'd probably at least have a long pair of pants like jeans and maybe a light fleece pullover or sweatshirt. When we sailed to Bermuda from NYC during late April - May I was pretty comfortable out on deck wearing what I just mentioned.

I dress in jeans or khakis with long sleeve tees and a button front sweater to put on if it gets chilly. Early Nov shouldn't be super cold, but it will definitely be chilly. Probably by the 2nd sea day you will see folks out by the pool.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Edited by yj2cute

It's usually cold when you board, so I wear heavier pants, turtleneck, and my white "cruise" sweater. The next day I wear a short sleeve top under the cotton sweater and either the same pants or khakis depending on the weather. I don't think there's a need to take both a summer and winter wardrobe - you can make do with the clothes you wear on the ship for the cooler times - you only need them if you're going to be outside for a long time.