Ephesus - HAL Tours $69/$129

DoverHeights

HAL offers several tours of Ephesus, which we will visit from NA in August.

Leaving out the House of Mary option, one tour is at $69/person and for an extra $60 -> $129, you can visit the "Terrace Houses".

Does anybody understand the difference and whether the extra $60/per person is worth it?

Michael in Sydney

The Terrace Houses is amazing. We were there last week on the cruise and for me it was one of the highlights. This is right at Ephesus and definitely worth seeing. Leaving to catch a plane or I would elaborate!

Diane

The Terrace Houses is amazing. We were there last week on the cruise and for me it was one of the highlights. This is right at Ephesus and definitely worth seeing. Leaving to catch a plane or I would elaborate!

Diane

I agree 100% with this evaluation.

The Terrace Houses give a relatively clear and detailed view of domestic life of the wealthy at Ephesus. Since excavation/restoration is ongoing, you also acquire an understanding of those processes.

The site, in my opinion, is not to be missed; however, there are two caveats. The first: there are a number of steps involved and they will challenge those who are mobility-impaired. The second: it is a large area covered with plexiglass and may be very hot if the weather is steamy.

During my first trip tp Ephesus in the mid nineties the Terrace Houses were not yet available -- excavation just beginning. In 2009 we visited Ephesus again and included the Terrace Houses in our tour. All I can say is WOW!

The ruins of Ephesus are spectacular in themselves, but the terrace houses tell the detailed story. Exquisite mosaics, completely preserved wall paintings, tables with inlaid backgammon boards, a child's graffiti on the wall depicting an ancient hero in a childish way so similar to today's child drawings, terra cotta drain pipes for a sophisticated fresh water and sewage system still in place .... And I could go on and on.

As said previously, there are a lot of steps involved as you go through so this part of the tour is not for those who cannot stand for long periods and also do a lot of stairs -- and the Terrace Houses require an additional admission, and I think reservation, so there is additional cost to make the visit.

If you are able, however, they will not disappoint.

Edited by arzz

HAL offers several tours of Ephesus, which we will visit from NA in August.

Leaving out the House of Mary option, one tour is at $69/person and for an extra $60 -> $129, you can visit the "Terrace Houses".

Does anybody understand the difference and whether the extra $60/per person is worth it?

Michael in Sydney

The terraced houses (also called the hillside houses) are a newly discovered area of Ephesis. We were there for 2 days last April (on the 2011 WC) and we took a private tour. The terraced house were optional at 15 TL extra and the general admission to the Ephesis site was 20 TL.

For the equivalent of $65 per person, we had a full day tour (12 in a large compfortable AC mini bus) and we had both a driver and a guide who spoke excellent English. I organized the tour and I dealt with ozkan.bicer@constantinopletours.com

We saw Ephesis, the house of Virgin Mary and the countryside, St. John Cathedral, the columns of Adrian temple, we had a delicious lunch at a carpet factory in a wonderful garden (the same location and the same lunch provided by HAL tours), we attended a leather factory fashion show where a few of us found delightful jackets, we saw the Museum, etc. A full 8 hours.

The tour was well run and well organized.

We decided not to visit the terraced homes on our day tour. But we could have for 15 TL extra. We had heard it was simply worth it but we had a full day ahead of us and decided to leave it for our next visit.

BTW, If you do this tour independently, you will need TL since no other currency is accepted at any of the tourist sites.

Good luck with your planning.

Edited by happyglobetrotter

I think I might have like to have visited the Terrace houses but the cruise was port intensive. We did lots of walking in Athens and Istanbul, took a tour of Mykonos and then walked around the town and the next stop was Kusadasi. We did opt for Mary's House and Ephesus tour. Walking around both places was over uneven terrain. By the time we got to the Terrace Houses, I was tired. We didn't opt for the extra tour but don't know if I could've done stairs. I did find Ephesus very interesting as well as the whole cruise. Loved the N. Amsterdam!

The Terrace Houses were, for me, the highlight of the visit to Ephesus. They are not always open however. I highly recommend spending the extra money to see them, if they are open when you are there.

• 4 years later...
The Terrace Houses were, for me, the highlight of the visit to Ephesus. They are not always open however. I highly recommend spending the extra money to see them, if they are open when you are there.

I agree, the Terrace House are worth seeing, we did a small group tour and the price difference was $5-10 not $60 :rolleyes: and one wonders where ship tours get their reputation.

If you are going in August be prepared for heat. I don't mean regular heat, I mean extreme. When we went it was 114 degrees and the Terrace houses were a little hotter as they are enclosed so there is no breeze. Take water and a hat or umbrella. Lucky most of the walk is downhill.

We were there in September and the Terrace House were very impressive with their many intricate and colorful mosaic walls and floors. I don't remember it being very hot in there but it wasn't August. I'm glad we did it, even if may have been $60 more - may never get the chance again.

But we like ruins and antiquities! Others may prefer a different type of tour. For us it was excellent and we got more than enough out of our visit there.

Others have advised about there being stairs. We weren't in there more than maybe 30 - 45 minutes, so I don't the heat would deter me for a short visit. m--

We did this tour with a private company, can't remember the name. The Terrace Houses where an extra cost but not $60. They are definitely worth seeing. As said we paid in TL.

Allan

I did a HAL Med. cruise in 2009. A group of us organized a private tour in Ephesus which included the terrace houses, Mary's house and the carpet factory with garden luncheon. It was a wonderful day! The highlight for me was the terrace houses and the glimpse into the past that they provide. If I had to choose to eliminate anything it would be Mary's house with the long lines and walking involved. It was pleasant but not awe inspiring.

Some folks might describe the carpet factory as a captive sales event. To me it was fascinating to see how the silk was processed from cocoon to thread and to watch the weaving process. The carpet showroom experience was almost an art form/ballet as rug after beautiful rug was unfurled across the floor. An extravaganza of color and beauty. It was not difficult to say no to the sales pitch as I could not afford what I would have wanted. Lunch was pretty good too.

BTW, if you do the Ephesus tour, you need to heed the advice about having the correct currency.

Ephesus was an absolute highlight in our Jan 2015 cruise with NCL Jade. We organised a private tour with other CC cruisers using a company called No Frills Ephesus ...which avoided all the carpet and leather factories. They were absolutely brilliant and tailor made the tour for our members, according to our wish list. We saw house of Mary, terrace hours, Ephesus ruins, Adrian temple columns, for $80 pp (group of 10 people) with a private guide. Lunch at a local restaurant serving beautiful simple Turkish food and a stop off at our request a a sweet store for real Turkish delight ended off our day.

Hal's vendor of choice in Turkey is Sea song tours. They are the best! Best buses, best guides, best lunch venues. The seaside resort lunch was great. Hal's tours are pricey and not always great but Ephesus was one of my all time favorites.