Jewish Holidays

KevinNYC

I would think they will have a rabbi for the high holy days. We have been on Celebrity twice over Passover and they had full seder dinners available for those wishing to attend. You may want to contact the special needs department at Celebrity for clarification.

We sailed on Soltice and our last day was Palm Sunday. There was a Catolic Priest on board and he had sevices all week long. I asked him if X always had a priest and he said they usually have a priest, rabbi during their holy seasons and for religious holy days.

By saying usually I guess that means they try to but may not always have one.

Just guessing, but I can't think of too many rabbis who wouldn't be busy with their own congregations for the high holy days. Additionally, I don't know that there would be many who would travel over Rosh Hashana, even if they didn't have their own congregations to deal with.

Of course, I could be totally wrong!

There are many Rabbis who have no problem traveling. Crystal always has a Rabbi on both their ships for the High Holy Days and in the past Celebrity has also. Crystal also has a Seder on their ships, and a Rabbi, priest and Protestant minister are on Crystal's entire world cruise. Since Celebrity stopped sponsoring select religions on their ships, they might not have a Rabbi on board. Best to call guest services and ask. I know that on past X cruises, they have allowed passenger run services.

Kellie -

Google "Yankees logo" and it should pop right up (among others). Enlarge it and then right click on the enlarged version and it should let you save it as a .jpeg for you to upload from your drive. Pretty sure that's how I did it.

Yankee fan from deep south Texas? Now I'm curious..........;)

Just guessing, but I can't think of too many rabbis who wouldn't be busy with their own congregations for the high holy days. Additionally, I don't know that there would be many who would travel over Rosh Hashana, even if they didn't have their own congregations to deal with.

Elyce, there are lots of us who are not practicing. I have sailed in

Sept many times (I think that is usually when the holidays fall).

As for Rabbis, there are many who do not have their own congregation

and are subs/traveling/etc......

(Just my .02)

Elyce, there are lots of us who are not practicing. I have sailed in

Sept many times (I think that is usually when the holidays fall).

As for Rabbis, there are many who do not have their own congregation

and are subs/traveling/etc......

(Just my .02)

You're right, Lois. I know that there are plenty who aren't practicing. It just never occurred to me that a rabbi would travel on a cruise ship during the high holy days. I guess I'm sheltered. :D

You're right, Lois. I know that there are plenty who aren't practicing. It just never occurred to me that a rabbi would travel on a cruise ship during the high holy days. I guess I'm sheltered. :D

You live in Chicago...I doubt you are sheltered;) and Reform Rabbis

would probably travel without any problems.:)....Orthodox, on the

other hand?.......

And I am sure you know if you have 12 folks, you can have a Minyan

anywhere.

Anyway, I agree with Darcie and the best thing would be for the OP

to call the cruiseline:)

Celebrity always has had a Rabbi on their cruises over the High Holidays, at least they did on my cruises through 2007. Since then I have been on RCCL and they have not. They do set up the room with Challah and wine for those who choose to go.

I just want to note that the Rabbis that we have had on Crystal and also on Seabourn are retired so they do not have their own congregation anymore and are easily able to travel. This has also been our experience with the Priests and the Ministers who have performed these roles on cruises we have taken.

Keith

You live in Chicago...I doubt you are sheltered;) and Reform Rabbis

would probably travel without any problems.:)....Orthodox, on the

other hand?.......

And I am sure you know if you have 12 folks, you can have a Minyan

anywhere.

Anyway, I agree with Darcie and the best thing would be for the OP

to call the cruiseline:)

Hallachically there are laws which relate to the date that the cruise starts, and, if when at port you actually leave the ship.

If, for example the cruise starts on a Friday, as long as it starts before Shabbat comes in then that is fine. There is no problem with the ship continuing on its way on the Saturday, as the journey started on the Friday, but if it stops at a port on a Saturday and you leave the ship, and then re-embark, if the ship leaves port before Shabbat goes out then it is forbidden.

A bit complex but ask any questions if you need to know anything

Hey folks! Just wondering if anyone knows whether Celebrity has a Rabbi on board or if services are held on major holidays, specifically Rosh Hashana? Thanks! :D

HHHHHEEEEELLLLLLLLLLOOOOO KevinNYC: Celebrity had a Rabbi onboard when we took a cruise about three years and Yom Kippur and Sukkos occured during the cruise. I don't see why not. It says in the cruise line information that a rabbi or a priest will be on board for for major religious holidays.

Hey folks! Just wondering if anyone knows whether Celebrity has a Rabbi on board or if services are held on major holidays, specifically Rosh Hashana? Thanks! :D

Hi, we were on the Century for Rosh Hashana in 2006 and there was a Rabbi from Texas and his wife onboard to conduct the services - though it was like no service we have attended before! He had a special mini Sefer Torah. We docked in Valencia on Rosh Hashana itself and some people went either to the local syngogue, others to a Masorti ceremony held in somone's apartment.

We are on the Eclipse this year and would hope there will be a rabbi, but coukd be less likely given the large number of Brits often equates to less Jewish passengers and therefore less demand. DH and I will attend if there are any services but wouldn't be able to lead.

My friends travel regularly on Queen Mary and have a dedicated synagogue. They used one of the conference rooms on Eclipse last year for Shabbat services, but they had to be led by cruisers. We are anyway thinking of defecting to Cunard for other reasons (X's appalling 'customer care' in UK) and if there are no provisions for major holidays onboard it will just be another reason!

• 2 months later...

We were at sea during Yom Kippur on an X ship. We debated long and hard about attending services in Victoria or staying onboard. The shul never responded to our inquiry so we stayed onboard. The services were very strange and there were only six or seven of us who attended every session. The morning service was VERY abbreviated since the chapel also served other faiths during the day. It was not the best yom tov ever and we have vowed to never sail over Rosh Hashannah or Yom Kippur again. Pesach is another story since most of the ships can provide KP for the duration and lay leadership is usually the norm.

Our former Rabbi has sailed many times on Crystal and I think Seabourn since his retirement. I know he would have made yom tov at sea a glorious experience.

Archived