What do you wear in port in Caribbean?

I'm trying to plan my packing for our first cruise & I'm hoping to get away with packing light :) I've bought a few sun dresses from Victoria Secret and think they'd take up next to no space in my suitcase...does anyone else go for sundresses in port? I'll likely plan on taking 1-2 pairs of shorts as well, incase I'm not in the dress mood.

http://www.victoriassecret.com/ss/Satellite?ProductID=1265481867167&c=Page&cid=1304338689731&pagename=vsdWrapper&redir=true20110520

http://www.victoriassecret.com/ss/Satellite?ProductID=1265482514556&c=Page&cid=1304338689731&pagename=vsdWrapper

Are they appropriate for hanging out in port? We don't plan on doing any "adventurous" excursions, mostly shopping & touring the port areas.

Those are really cute dresses!

I see that you are from Canada. Please also consider sun protection when you go into port, because the sun can be brutal. You don't say when you will be going on your cruise. Those dresses have no protection for your shoulders and back, so consider how long you intend to stay off the ship. Consider sunhats, coverups, etc. as well as your sundresses collection. FYI.

I'm trying to plan my packing for our first cruise & I'm hoping to get away with packing light :) I've bought a few sun dresses from Victoria Secret and think they'd take up next to no space in my suitcase...does anyone else go for sundresses in port? I'll likely plan on taking 1-2 pairs of shorts as well, incase I'm not in the dress mood.

http://www.victoriassecret.com/ss/Satellite?ProductID=1265481867167&c=Page&cid=1304338689731&pagename=vsdWrapper&redir=true20110520

http://www.victoriassecret.com/ss/Satellite?ProductID=1265482514556&c=Page&cid=1304338689731&pagename=vsdWrapper

Are they appropriate for hanging out in port? We don't plan on doing any "adventurous" excursions, mostly shopping & touring the port areas.

Cute dresses! Yes, they're perfect :)

Those dresses are perfect. They are comfortable for casual stuff, but you will look put together if you decide to have a nice lunch or do some shopping. I normally wear a cute sundress or outfit so that I am comfortable in the heat, but if we decide to go to an upscale shop or restaurant I will be dressed appropriately.

I will be bringing along tons of sun protection...I'll be lathering in sunscreen, I'm on the hunt for a cute sun hat & I'll bring something light to throw over my shoulders.

Thanks for the tips!

Also on the hunt for a cute sun hat... hopefully, packable! When you find one, please share!

I've found lots of collapsable/foldable sun hats on eBay that look really cute...but, I'm thinking I better try some on in store, since the only hats I've ever worn are either ball caps & toques, better see what looks less foolish in person :) if I can't find something packable, I'll just have to wear it on the plane too :)

I've found lots of collapsable/foldable sun hats on eBay that look really cute...but, I'm thinking I better try some on in store, since the only hats I've ever worn are either ball caps & toques, better see what looks less foolish in person :) if I can't find something packable, I'll just have to wear it on the plane too :)

Check out La Vie En Rose, they had some cute hats last year.

The sun dress are perfect. Also on sea days you can throw one over a bathing suit and go anywear on the ship. Capries, shorts, skirts, cami, tank, tees, just about anything can be wore on shore. But I totally agree sundress take up alot less room in the suitcase then all those tops and bottoms.

i wear capris and tanks...if i was to wear the sundresses i probably would put bathing suit under or least so little shorts, for stepping up into vehicles, wind blowing etc.

the last time i wore a skirt i stepped on the hem getting up into a bus, and well lets just say i dont wear those anymore.......lol....

i wear capris and tanks...if i was to wear the sundresses i probably would put bathing suit under or least so little shorts, for stepping up into vehicles, wind blowing etc.

the last time i wore a skirt i stepped on the hem getting up into a bus, and well lets just say i dont wear those anymore.......lol....

Hi,:) I am more of a shorts/capri's and t shirt gal during the day too.

Unless it is a sea day and then it is a bathing suit with a cover up;)

But of course we see everything in the Caribbean. I have seen long

sleeves with long pants too...too hot for me but everyone has their

own way of dressing:D

Shorts and tee or similar shirt...it's VERY casual! If we're doing a beach thing, I'll wear my bathing suit under shorts and shirt....or a sundress.

There's no need to be fancy or "foo-foo-y" ashore!

I wear capris or skorts with tees and tanks. I like to mix and match and bring more tops than bottoms. I tend to only spill on my chest and I've fallen in a port before so I mostly stay away from dresses and skirts when I'm walking around ports.

Even in the winter, the sun is sooooooooooo strong in the Caribbean. I live in FL and the sun seems much stronger in the Caribbean. I always wear T-shirts to cover my shoulders and chest on the islands because I know I'll be exposed to the sun. I also wear sneakers because we like to walk a lot. Those dresses would be great to wear on deck over swimsuits or on their own. As far as style, if you are going to Cozumel, the first dress would be a great choice because it's a fun and sexy place.

It seems like everywhere you turn around in the Carribean they sell these really lightweight, cute, flowing sun dresses. I love them as they are almost as cool as being naked but very modest.

I bought three of them on our cruise last winter and will be taking at least two of them on our cruise to the Mediterranean in July.

Sunscreen, sandals, sundress and a big hat and I am set.

Since you asked, I'm actually going to go against the grain and give them a thumbs down, mostly becasue they would not give you any sun protection whatsoever. Like royalcruz said, the sun is strong in the Caribbean. Your best efforts to slop on the sunblock will help, but in my experience it will not prevent you from getting burned. Getting a sunburn is no way to spend a vacation, trust me. :o <--- That's me, getting sunburned in St.Lucia. NOT FUN. :(

I also vote for covered shoulders and a wide brimmed hat. The dresses are cute for around the pool, but I wouldn't wear them in port. JMO.

When we were in Puerto Rico in April, many of the people in our party got horribly sunburned. DH and I slopped on sunscreen and had no problems at all. Of course, we also didn't try to bake ourselves at the pool or beach.

Use lots of sunscreen and go ahead and wear your cute little sundresses while you are still young and able to do so. You should also get yourself a big old hat and a parasol--your umbrella will work. It is wonderful to take your own portable shade. ;)

Darn you sexy girl! Those dresses are just adorable! I am 50 now and keeping the VS figure is getting harder by the day. So......you enjoy those dresses and dont be surprised if your DH gets those off of you back in the cabin! :) have fun!!!

You can wear your swimsuit under the dress too.

Really, I think what you wear is in accordance to the activities. If I plan to have a beach day, then a swim suit and a cover up (or sundress) is very smart. I bring a pair of undies with me in case my suit is still wet and I want or need to be dry. I just slip out of my swim wear and pull the undies on. Most of my dresses have enough support up top for this.

Now, if I was going on a walking excursion I would probably wear capris or shorts, tank top or tshirt with durable walking shoes. Or at least wear those over your swim suit.

I think those dresses are fine and for the most part I will tell you that I see most women getting off the ship with a swim suit and cover up on and most of them just end up at a Senior Frogs. As far as coverage.......its gonna be hot and even this fair skinned girl wants to wants to wear the most cool thing I can, but I do it wisely with sunscreen/hat and I know when I need to find some shade.

Archived