How can I use my BC with my maiden name?

Mamabear17

But in that case wouldn't the valid driver's license have to have the same name as the birth certificate? How would a valid driver's license with one name provide "proof" that a birth certificate in a different name is the same person? I am not saying you are incorrect, I am just asking for clarification as this seems peculiar to me.
No problem, it is a common source of confusion. :) The answer is because the birth certificate just proves citizenship, not identity. The name on the booking must match the name on the legal ID, which in this case is the driver license. A BC is not an identity document, it is proof of citizenship. Unless there is an unusual name change situation the first name, middle name and birthdate on the BC will all match the same information on the DL, and that is enough to show that the person on the BC is the same person on the Legal Identity document.

When married women apply for a passport for the first time, they don't have to send in their marriage licenses with the application. They do have to provide their legal ID in their married name along with the birth certificate, though.

And to put Mamabear's fears to rest, here is a link to one frequent Carnival cruiser who also uses BC and DL, no marriage certificate.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=28445164&postcount=6

I will note again that RCI has taken it upon themselves to require bridge documents, but it is not a US requirement. But Mamabear is on Carnival...and this sort of thing is posted and worried about all the time on their boards and then found to be a non-issue on boarding. I cannot remember the last time someone on Carnival was denied boarding for this. Perhaps asked for it, perhaps scared they would be deneied, but I cannot recall anyone since 2009 that was denied on Carnival for a ML, all got on board without it. If you have one, sure, take it. But if you don't, it is not a requirement.

Lol. This all very confusing and it seems that this will be a constant thing until passports are designated as required for all cruise travel.

Good luck!!! I hope we get to read a review of your wonderful cruise rather than a review of your afternoon at the cruise terminal.

Wow...thanks to everyone. I sure wish I would have thought about this issue sooner. My cruise is in 3 weeks, so a passport is out of the question. I do not have a marriage certificate, and I got married in another country, so I can't obtain a copy of that. I know I can get a copy of the divorce decree, if that will work.

Someone did mention my son's BC will have my maiden name, and I thought I was in the clear :) until someone else quoted Carnival, which is my cruiseline. :( I did email them, but haven't received a response yet.

I appreciate everyone's help!

Just to correct the information, a passport is NOT out of the question in 3 weeks. You will probably have to expedite it, and there may be other means of getting it quickly. I agree with others that if you are planning to be out of the country at all (eg you like to cruise), you should just go ahead and get one. It makes life so much easier!

As another poster mentioned, you also need to bring notarized permission from your son's father providing you with permission to take him out of the country or bring legal documents proving you have full legal custody.

Hope everything works out and that you have a great trip.

Yep...I knew that and have it taken care of...thanks!!

I have been reading the above posts and I am a bit confused. First off let me tell you about my experience cruising. My last cruise was well over 15 years ago...so things have changed quite ALOT. Ok now here is my question..I am sailing on RCI in March and will have my passport with me. Now what is a bridge document, and do I need my divorce decree and remarrige license to get on board along with my passport??

Thanks

I have been reading the above posts and I am a bit confused. First off let me tell you about my experience cruising. My last cruise was well over 15 years ago...so things have changed quite ALOT. Ok now here is my question..I am sailing on RCI in March and will have my passport with me. Now what is a bridge document, and do I need my divorce decree and remarrige license to get on board along with my passport??

Thanks

If your cruise was booked using the same name as in your passport, you will be fine ... no bridging document required. Are both in your current legal name?

I legally changed my name so that my middle name is now my maiden name.

If that's not an option for you, bring your marriage certificate. Not the foo foo one for framing, but the real deal that was filed with your county.

Please stop providing people with erroneous information that could cause them to be denied boarding! You have been told this many times now and you continue to make the same outdated statement over and over every time this issue is raised. There have been several reports of women being asked to produce a bridging document when their birth certificate and driver's license carried different names. Without a bridging document such as a marriage license one stands a very real chance of being denied boarding.

By the way, this quote is from Royal Caribbean International's (RCI) FAQ on this issue:

"Different Surnames (Last Names):

If a woman has several surnames on different documents such as birth certificate and drivers license, then she must bridge the difference with other documents, such as, marriage license and/or divorce papers. The additional bridging documents must be the original or a certified or notarized copy."

A notary (at least in California) can only certify that the person who is in front of them signed the document. They cannot certify a copy of anything or verify the validity of a document.

• 1 month later...

OK, so I didn't need my divorce decree (but I had it just in case) or any other bridging document, nor did I need the letter from my ex for my son (which I also had just in case). I just needed my BC (showed them a copy, but also had the original JIC) and DL, and they barely even looked at them. However, for peace of mind, I'd take those things anyway. Now I know....thanks for your help everyone!:)

I don't want any questions.

I had to get my marriage license to bridge my birth certificate to change from an Ohio DL to a NY DL and it was a HUGE hassle - I don't want anything of the sort while on vacation so PASSPORT!

I applied a year in advance because we also planned some Canada trips this year and it is required now. My passport took 3 weeks total.

I don't want any questions.

I had to get my marriage license to bridge my birth certificate to change from an Ohio DL to a NY DL and it was a HUGE hassle - I don't want anything of the sort while on vacation so PASSPORT!

I applied a year in advance because we also planned some Canada trips this year and it is required now. My passport took 3 weeks total.

I agree with this completely.

I had been married and got an annulment .. back to maiden name and then married .. of course another name change.

When I filled out the forms for passport all I needed to hand over was BC and of course they checked DL. But as for bridging documents the State Dept did all the verifying there. It was painless and so simple.:D

Another thing about using BC, DL and bridging documents is that the port agents are the ones verifying. If by chance you get a new agent or one having a snotty day they may ask for the bridging documents. If you don't have them you could be denied boarding.:(

Bingo!! A divorce decree! That's good!

Your birth certificate.

Your driver's license/ photo ID

Your divorce decree. This is the document that will explain why your ID does not match the BC.

Those are the three things that you will need. You should be set.

As a port agent, we see this alot and I agree with this post. Birth Certificate, driver's license and divorce decree. But get a passport and you'll never have a problem again, and it makes things easier for us to check you in. Happy cruising!

Catherine

aka Stella

I took my birth certificate (the one with the raised seal & must be stamped "official" one from state/county can't be notarized one) & marriage license & DL. They never asked for my marriage license, but I had it just in case.

I would however recommend a passport card (if cost of passport is prohibitive right now) just so you will have a much easier time upon your return to port & through customs! They have 2 separate lines: 1 for birth certificates & 1 for passports / passport cards. The one for birth certificates took so much longer! This is because they have to look at your BC & DL & match all info for each person & with the passport they just seemed to quickly glance at it & they were off.

I would suggest getting a passport.

It amazes me in this day and age anyone would choose to travel outside the U.S. and not have a valid passport with them.

I did not read the whole thread so hope this is not a repetitive post.

Wow, I didn't realize what was mentioned about bringing a child-that you needed to provide proof that you either had sole custody-or a note from the other parent. I guess it makes sense, but I never would have thought of it if I had brought my stepson-but I guess if it was me, my husband and my stepson they never would have known I wasn't his mother. Not that it's an issue for us, but didn't know other people could run into this problem.

Wow, I didn't realize what was mentioned about bringing a child-that you needed to provide proof that you either had sole custody-or a note from the other parent. I guess it makes sense, but I never would have thought of it if I had brought my stepson-but I guess if it was me, my husband and my stepson they never would have known I wasn't his mother. Not that it's an issue for us, but didn't know other people could run into this problem.

Yes, you can be denied boarding. And not just on cruiseships, but on planes.

Many people also don't know they can be denied entry into Canada if they have a DUI or other felony. And, they are turned back at the border.

I took my birth certificate (the one with the raised seal & must be stamped "official" one from state/county can't be notarized one) & marriage license & DL. They never asked for my marriage license, but I had it just in case.

I would however recommend a passport card (if cost of passport is prohibitive right now) just so you will have a much easier time upon your return to port & through customs! They have 2 separate lines: 1 for birth certificates & 1 for passports / passport cards. The one for birth certificates took so much longer! This is because they have to look at your BC & DL & match all info for each person & with the passport they just seemed to quickly glance at it & they were off.

You cannot fly international with a passport card.

Many port security officials do not recognize passport cards. They know passport books and not the cards so you could have difficulty trying to get back to your ship in port with only that for ID. I know they said 'any government issued photo ID' but I have heard some people having a hassle using the passport card.

You cannot fly international with a passport card.

Many port security officials do not recognize passport cards. They know passport books and not the cards so you could have difficulty trying to get back to your ship in port with only that for ID. I know they said 'any government issued photo ID' but I have heard some people having a hassle using the passport card.

It sounds like the person you are replying to is saying when you return to the US and have to be cleared by Customs and Border Protection, if you have a passport card the process will be quicker than if you have a birth certificate and drivers license...and I would agree. The passport card doesn't even have to be swiped or scanned, it has an RFID chip that allows it to be read. I can assure you that CBP agents know exactly what a passport card is.

I was referencing ports other than U.S. where the ship will stop during the cruise. It was not clear whether there was a desire to use passport card to enter port area when returning to the ship after a visit ashore. Certainly U.S. CBP know a U.S. Passport card but I doubt local security in Curacao or Guatamala etc are as familiar with it as a standard passport book.

You cannot use passport card for international flight ID.

• 2 weeks later...

I too am going on my first cruise. This was item #1 as my biggest worry as we did not get passorts yet (want to see how we do on our "sealegs". I called Carnival personally and spoke with the lady - she said as long I had a marriage certificate that it would suffice. (i believe she said I could get by with a copy of it) Please correct me if that is misinformation. ANybody else know if it MUST Be the original BC?? thanks

I've never needed my marriage certificate....everyone knows that a married woman's name won't match her BC....the birthdate should be enough proof.

With over 300,000,000 people in the US, do you really think having the same birthdate on a license as appears on a birth certificate proves anything? Everyone also knows that security precautions are tightening every year. This sort of comment is foolish, at best.

Archived