Pickleball on the Cruise Ships

CPCruiser4Life

Pickleball on the cruise ship? This seriously will get me to switch over to Princess from Royal Caribbean. For those of you who don't play, I don't expect you to understand. However, as previous posters have mentioned, it is truly addicting and great fun!! I just want to confirm it's actually Pickleball with a whiffle ball and not Paddle tennis? So it's played on the Regal, Sapphire and Caribbean? Any other ships of Princess? So excited!! Just wish I knew this previously as I'm going on a Royal Caribbean next week! Dang! Oh well, I'll just have to plan my next cruise sooner!! haha!!

• 3 months later...

I have seen passengers playing. Appears they provide their own balls and paddles. The net was the standard tennis net. I don't think the court was lined for pickleball. It seems to me that the lightweight ball would be affected by the strong winds on the upper deck while the ship is in motion. It is a shared court for basketball and any net game including volleyball. On the Royal the sports court was also used for ZUMBA. The game was not hosted.

It looks like ping pong played on a smaller size tennis court. Boring!!!! Right up there with bocce ball. Now dodge ball, that's a game the cruise lines should be playing.:D

Agreed! Went to a long cruise where bocce ball was offered, it was held 2 times. First they used the carpet space next to the lobby which was very fun as the host put obstacles around and the carpet offered perfect friction, but then the second time we played they installed a huge ridiculous thing with inflatable hoses :rolleyes:, I was watching them install it and it turned out to be terrible. The grass carpet was so thick it was rolling up at the ends and creating bumps. It took more minutes than the activity itself to install and it was suuuch a huge fail! if they installed it permanent in the open decks (maybe instead of that ping pong table that you can never yse due to wind) it would be way better. I also agree on the dodgeball but the 3 times i had it, one someone got hurt by smashing its head to one of the poles, other no one showed up to play and other there were really sore losers just giving a hard time to the host complaining about everything so I can see why it's not a thing everywhere. :confused:

Pickleball on the cruise ship? This seriously will get me to switch over to Princess from Royal Caribbean. For those of you who don't play, I don't expect you to understand. However, as previous posters have mentioned, it is truly addicting and great fun!! I just want to confirm it's actually Pickleball with a whiffle ball and not Paddle tennis? So it's played on the Regal, Sapphire and Caribbean? Any other ships of Princess? So excited!! Just wish I knew this previously as I'm going on a Royal Caribbean next week! Dang! Oh well, I'll just have to plan my next cruise sooner!! haha!!

We had it available on the Coral last year on our Panama Canal cruise. It was listed as an activity in the Patter on sea days. The one day that I went up to see about it the equipment was put out, but, no one was playing because it was so windy. Probably could have played although it would have been challenging.

No Princess ships officially have it. Some people bring their own and use the sport court and I would expect the activities staff to be somewhat willing to accommodate.

Seemed pretty official on the Coral as it was listed in the Patter and the ship supplied the equipment. YMMV

Ruby Princess Patter, Juneau morning before arrival there at 11am: "9am Pickleball Players Get Together (Unhosted). Meet your fellow guests for a game. Center Court, Deck 19 Aft" Sorry, no other information, but I ASSUME equipment was provided. Also again on Friday at 11am while bound for Victoria.

I'll be on the Diamond Princess sailing from Kobe on June 13. Does anyone know if this ship has a pickleball/paddleball court? Also, are the pingpong tables in a sheltered area?

Well, I'll be sailing in just a few days and I still don't know if the ship offers pickleball. I don't want to pack my paddle for nothing. What a pickle I'm in! :*

• 1 month later...
Pickleball? TOO MUCH D----=D NOISE !!!clear.png?emoji-smile-1684

It should NEVER be on cruise ships.

Now here's some useful information for this discussion...... Thanks for your input.

I'll be on the Royal in December and from what I've read here I'll be taking my paddle with me. Hope I get to use it. I know it's down stream a bit but after the cruise I'll check back in and let everyone know.

Cool - we've been interested in learning about the game and hope our cruise on the Royal in November will have players we can watch. We don't have shore excursions planned for Grenada - could be a perfect time!

Pickleball? TOO MUCH D----=D NOISE !!!clear.png?emoji-smile-1684

It should NEVER be on cruise ships.

Well unless you go out of your way to make it to deck 18 aft I can't see how the noise you affect you?

Cool - we've been interested in learning about the game and hope our cruise on the Royal in November will have players we can watch. We don't have shore excursions planned for Grenada - could be a perfect time!

We'll be there. I'm only a beginner but willing to try anything. ;p Nothing planned for Grenada. Been there many times so we'll be staying on the ship also.

Paddle tennis was a bust on my Ruby Princess AK cruise (7/1). The Patter listed it as an event on a sea day. I went there and the cruise staff guy said it was too windy (it was windy) so he canceled it. Some people were playing without the net set up anyway. Then the next couple times no one from the staff showed to kick the basketball players off the court (and it was still cold and windy--I'm not sure how you'd really play much while the ship is moving). I tried to set up other informal times to play, but either no one showed up or we were outnumbered by basketball players 8 to 1.

Also, it uses a regular tennis ball and doesn't have a non-volley zone, so I'm not sure how much like pickleball it would be.

Paddle tennis was a bust on my Ruby Princess AK cruise (7/1). The Patter listed it as an event on a sea day. I went there and the cruise staff guy said it was too windy (it was windy) so he canceled it. Some people were playing without the net set up anyway. Then the next couple times no one from the staff showed to kick the basketball players off the court (and it was still cold and windy--I'm not sure how you'd really play much while the ship is moving). I tried to set up other informal times to play, but either no one showed up or we were outnumbered by basketball players 8 to 1.

Also, it uses a regular tennis ball and doesn't have a non-volley zone, so I'm not sure how much like pickleball it would be.

I just looked over some old patters from last season & there was nothing scheduled for port days.

I played Pickelball on the Royal and Regal, but no other Princess ship. The equipment was available on the ship, but only 4 people can play at a time. It's fun and fellow passengers taught me the game. I play tennis, but this was new to me.

I'll be on the Diamond Princess sailing from Kobe on June 13. Does anyone know if this ship has a pickleball/paddleball court? Also, are the pingpong tables in a sheltered area?

Well, to answer my own questions ... no pickleball court and yes, pingpong tables are sheltered.

• 5 months later...
Has anyone see Pickleball on any of the Princess Ships? If so, which ships? Did cruisers bring the equipment or did Princess supply the paddles/balls/and nets? how many courts? How was it?

Thanks

What is Pickleball? Is it ping pong? I have never seen Pickleball on any cruise I have been on.

What is Pickleball? Is it ping pong? I have never seen Pickleball on any cruise I have been on.

From Wikipedia: Pickleball is a paddle sport that combines elements of badminton, tennis, and table tennis. Two, three, or four players use solid paddles made of wood or composite materials to hit a perforated polymer ball, similar to a wiffle ball, over a net.

We played pickleball onboard Island Princess a couple of months ago...