Pickleball on the Cruise Ships

CPCruiser4Life

From Wikipedia: Pickleball is a paddle sport that combines elements of badminton, tennis, and table tennis. Two, three, or four players use solid paddles made of wood or composite materials to hit a perforated polymer ball, similar to a wiffle ball, over a net.

We played pickleball onboard Island Princess a couple of months ago...

Interesting. I didn't think of it on Island. Will have to look into that and see if anyone interested. I just learned about Pickleball this past November in south Florida. A friend of mine who has relocated down there loves it and he taught me the basics. A way to get some air and exercise on a sea day.

Paddle tennis was a bust on my Ruby Princess AK cruise (7/1). The Patter listed it as an event on a sea day. I went there and the cruise staff guy said it was too windy (it was windy) so he canceled it. Some people were playing without the net set up anyway. Then the next couple times no one from the staff showed to kick the basketball players off the court (and it was still cold and windy--I'm not sure how you'd really play much while the ship is moving). I tried to set up other informal times to play, but either no one showed up or we were outnumbered by basketball players 8 to 1.

Also, it uses a regular tennis ball and doesn't have a non-volley zone, so I'm not sure how much like pickleball it would be.

It does not us a tennis ball. It uses a pickleball that looks like a wiggle ball.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
It looks like ping pong played on a smaller size tennis court. Boring!!!! Right up there with bocce ball. Now dodge ball, that's a game the cruise lines should be playing.:D

Cool has obvously not played Pickleball. It is not a spectator sport. If you like Ping Pong or tennis you will probably like Pickleball.

• 2 months later...
just got off the royal and i saw it in the patter twice on a 10 day cruise. they supplied equipment, used the basketball court. it was unattended by cruise staff, but i observed people who did know how to play helping others learn how to play.

I see you were on the Coral Princess for the Panel Canal cruise. Did you like the ship? I've been reading lots of negative reviews about food and entertainment and am concerned since payment for trip in December is due next week. Thanks

Deborah

We were on the coral 4 years ago and loved it. At that time I had no concerns about the food or entertainment. We have been on 4 princess cruises and have been happy with them all but the coral has been our favorite. I think it all depends on what you like and how picky you are about the things. There is so much food and entertainment on board it always puzzles me about food complaints. If you're not thrilled with your meal order something else, go to the buffet, get a burger by the pool, you won't go hungry, and the same can be said for the entertainment. I say go, have fun. You are on a cruise!!!

• 3 weeks later...
Has anyone seen any pickleball on the EMERALD PRINCESS? Wife and I are sailing 10/19, four days from Vancouver BC to Los Angeles. Don't want to pack my court shoes or knee braces if they don't play.

I was on the Emerald earlier this year for a South American cruise and they had pickleball then.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 1 month later...

Pickleball was available in 2016 on Coral Princess. In Sept played on Royal Princess..2 courts  and decent paddles and Dura 40 high quality balls. Portable nets were so so.. Surface ws some type of rubber that even when wet  you could play on it without slipping. Royal has bulkheads blocking out a lot of wind. Competition on board was decent 2.5-4.0 players. I also arranged to teach beginners and had 11  come to my intro to pickleball class. Hopefully ruby Princess will have lines and net on the ship in January

• 1 month later...
On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 8:29 PM, PGHSTEVE said:

Pickleball was available in 2016 on Coral Princess. In Sept played on Royal Princess..2 courts  and decent paddles and Dura 40 high quality balls. Portable nets were so so.. Surface ws some type of rubber that even when wet  you could play on it without slipping. Royal has bulkheads blocking out a lot of wind. Competition on board was decent 2.5-4.0 players. I also arranged to teach beginners and had 11  come to my intro to pickleball class. Hopefully ruby Princess will have lines and net on the ship in January

Please let me know if there is more that one court open on the Royal.  I am planning a trip for 10 of us that all play pickleball.  Also, how often is it offered, equipment supplied, etc.  Looking forward to your response and enjoy your cruise!

We were on the Caribbean Princess Canal Cruise last month. It was a 10 day cruise and I believe I saw it in the Patter at least 50% of the time. It was listed as “unhosted” so not sure whether or not equipment was supplied. Interest seems to be growing! 

Casdukeaz : answer for the Royal Princess . In October 2018 when on the ship they had 2 portable nets..Not great nets but good enough. They had Dura 40 balls , a number with cracks but several dozen in the bin and 2 lined courts for pickleball. Plenty of room behind the back lines and room on sides too. Princess Patter usually blocked PB for 9 am- 12 noon almost everyday on our cruise.  Paddles provided were decent Pickleball paddles ( 12 of them) although we brought our own.  Was amazed the good traction on the courts even if  wet!!!  

• 1 month later...

Just played on the Caribbean Princess....1 small court with no back space, but we had fun.  Played on Royal and Regal...very nice sports court and 2 nets.  We played a 7 or 9 point game and took turns.  

If you think this this is boring, why are you reading the post?  Give it a try, Pickelball players are most welcoming and happy to teach the game.  Honestly.....it is really fun.   Alice

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/26/2018 at 9:37 PM, CruiseVA said:

Had it on the Regal last spring. I don't understand the obsession, but, too each his/her own...

competitive and companionship. low impact activity that gets the heart rate up for us fun lovin' middle aged former rock stars.

Edited by c-boy
  • Like 2

• 2 years later...
4 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

What is pickel ball? Looks like tennis with paddles. 

I don’t think Oski could handle the paddles with his hands. Maybe my duck probably can. Lol

• Like 1