New Smoking Policy - Effective January 15, 2012

I am happy with that though I know that smokers won't be:

I am surprised that Princess have taken so long to make this move especially after they had the fire on the Star Princess a few years ago which was started by a passenger throwing a butt from their balcony.

Being a smoker myself, cough,cough.

However I agree with their policy mainly for safety reasons.

What they mean by this statement 'Our consumer studies now show that smokers are a small minority of our passengers, they don't care if they lose the smoking clients as they are a small minority.

If the majority of pax were smokers, they wouldn't introduce this policy, they might lose too many customers,

At the end of the day it's all about revenue, not passengers health or safety.

BTW, to all 'passive' smokers, don't go near any motor vehicles, they exhaust about a million cigs every minute.:D

Oh, and on deck, run for your life if the ship exhaust drifts onto the deck.:)

I am happy with that though I know that smokers won't be:

I am surprised that Princess have taken so long to make this move especially after they had the fire on the Star Princess a few years ago which was started by a passenger throwing a butt from their balcony.

I was surprised that Carnival is going to allow passengers to smoke on their balconies, but not in their cabins.

Fire at sea, from butts, is a major worry for all passengers. I suspect Carnival's decision is more related to the cost of "removing" the smell of smoke from cabins, than health and safety of passengers.

Does anyone remember when flying long haul from Australia to UK non-smoking meant, at worst, the row behind the nervous chain smoking smokers?

Does anyone remember when flying long haul from Australia to UK non-smoking meant, at worst, the row behind the nervous chain smoking smokers?

Remember it well...we always used to ask for the smoking section as not many went there and we ended up with 3 seats each so could stretch out and sleep all the way.....:D

Remember it well...we always used to ask for the smoking section as not many went there and we ended up with 3 seats each so could stretch out and sleep all the way.....:D

The voice of experience.

I've ended up in "smoking" as well, when "non smoking" sold out.

Good news. I've never smoked but have lived through the years of being in the minority.

If we were booking a balcony we used to always book on the first level of balconies because if you were on a balcony above another balcony you could be bathed in smoke all day and night. So annoying and unhealthy.

I'm sure these changes have come about due to public demand.

The big question is, how are they going to police it on the ships?

Jilly:)

Good news. I've never smoked but have lived through the years of being in the minority.

If we were booking a balcony we used to always book on the first level of balconies because if you were on a balcony above another balcony you could be bathed in smoke all day and night. So annoying and unhealthy.

I'm sure these changes have come about due to public demand.

Jilly:)

From the News article -

All three lines cited consumer studies revealing that only a small minority of passengers smoke. Reps added that a $250 cleaning fee would be the penalty for breaking the rules.

Other lines that ban smoking in cabins and balconies include Crystal Cruises, MSC Cruises and Oceania Cruises.

The exception to this rule of thumb was JAL Business class where visibility inside the cabin was less than a metre. A real case of marking your card - no automatic upgrade please!

Haha, we'll whinge, whine and complain about the people who break the rules - and I bet they do, lol. :D:D:D

Whoops, I got that the wrong way round. OMG, OMG, OMG, I'm losing it! :eek: It should be "we'll complain, whinge and whine" about.............:D

Hahahaha I just found the answer in that thread and the new complaint is...................perfume/cologne.............LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO

I fink it's amusing :p

I think the whole smoking thing is a pretty mute point for Australians anyway............we are so accustomed to not smoking inside as it is anywhere.

I used to book non smoking plane seats as I hated cigarette smoke in the plane..........but would go to the smoking seats to light up hahahahaha

I remember the days when you could also smoke on trains. Everyone was horrified when the stopped it :eek: Kinda funny looking back :D

Hahahaha I just found the answer in that thread and the new complaint is...................perfume/cologne.............LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO

I fink it's amusing :p

I think the whole smoking thing is a pretty mute point for Australians anyway............we are so accustomed to not smoking inside as it is anywhere.

I used to book non smoking plane seats as I hated cigarette smoke in the plane..........but would go to the smoking seats to light up hahahahaha

I remember the days when you could also smoke on trains. Everyone was horrified when the stopped it :eek: Kinda funny looking back :D

This will get you...... I remember smoking in the classroom! Yep, senior high had little tin foil ashtrays on the desks..... Hahaha.

Even visiting the doctor, he used to sit behind his desk with a cigarette burning away. Times have changed all right. Thank heavens!

Smoke sensors in the cabin, plus the outsides usually are visible from different points or have cameras. Plus reports get made and it's usually due to the smell of smoke which is noticeable around the place.

.............perfume/cologne.............LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO

I remember the days when you could also smoke on trains. Everyone was horrified when the stopped it Kinda funny looking back

Don't get me started on perfume ....what is it with people, men and women, who buy PURFUME...the real stuff not eau de cologne.....in duty free then bathe in it......eeeyuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk...you stink...you make it smell horrid......a little squirt is all you need and not on the hour every hour....less in better especially in confined spaces....just remembered must add flight attendants to the people who bathe in it and i wish they wouldn't list.....:mad::mad:

now back to smoking.......oooops i don't do that anymore i gave up that habit and took up another with the savings.... cruising:D:D

i do however remember smoking:

:cool: with at least 20 others ....behind the shelter sheds at school...

:cool: in Melbourne's old red rattler trains during peakhour...if you couldn't reach the door to throw out your butt you just passed it along the crowd till whoever was at the door threw it out......

ahhhhh memories............

Cheers Shiona

I think it's a great move by Princess! But, will they have the will to strictly enforce it? The fee is $250 but I can imagine some die-hard smokers would be willing to wear that cost. So, if you're 'caught', and fined, what happens if you continue to smoke? Surely they can't keep fining you? Do they confiscate your ciggies?

Did anyone else work next to someone who chain smoked all day, leaving the smoking cigarette in his ash tray between puffs, or dictated letters, with a cigarette hanging out his mouth?

Have no idea what cigarettes cost here now, with Government taxes, but they used to cost $20 a carton then.

Lucky you gave up the habit, Shiona, so you now have lots more money to spend on cruising.

Got to love our Government, which is taking on the big multinational tobacco companies with plain packaging.

Archived