Given that so many ships are coming out in 2012/13 what are your views on pricing

There certainly seems some more competitive pricing going on and that compared with more choice can only be a good thing for us Aussies and Kiwis.

However we still have a long way to go with improvements in our booking conditions etc.

For those with the inclination to cruise further afield the bargains to be had through the US are hard to beat.

There certainly seems some more competitive pricing going on and that compared with more choice can only be a good thing for us Aussies and Kiwis.

However we still have a long way to go with improvements in our booking conditions etc.

For those with the inclination to cruise further afield the bargains to be had through the US are hard to beat.

TOO TRUE:o

Well said, and totally agree with you. For us we can't wait until we board in November, and can take advantage of the $100 booking offer. We have two cruises in mind, both going out of the US, and with the dollar at the moment, the US seems a great place to visit. Of course, we will do our homework beforehand, to get the best deal around, but we have been happy with Princess so far. It just depends on what is on offer at the time.

Jen

HAL has just released their 2012/2013 South American/Antarctic fares and out of curiosity I compared the price offered to Aussies by HAL compared to the price offered by US TAs. The dollar value for both was on par so obviously the exchange rate has finally been updated to a more equitable rate.

Hopefully this will also flow through to all other regions and we get better conditions and offers, especially with HAL having its own offices in Australia.

A question I would like to know is where is everyone going?!, I am sure a lot of you like us have been up to the South Pacific islands a few times and possibly done New Zealand.

The answer could be....

Does it really matter?

In some cases

the ship is the destination.

HAL has just released their 2012/2013 South American/Antarctic fares and out of curiosity I compared the price offered to Aussies by HAL compared to the price offered by US TAs. The dollar value for both was on par so obviously the exchange rate has finally been updated to a more equitable rate.

Hopefully this will also flow through to all other regions and we get better conditions and offers, especially with HAL having its own offices in Australia.

Are you sure HAL has its own office in Australia ? I know their wholesaler is in Sydney, they sell direct or to other t/as'. Cannot mention HAL's wholesaler name on here.

We just so confused :confused: with all the deals we're being bombard with online, we can't even make a decision for this year or 2012. Only got 2013 sorted.

You should see my list of 'possibles' ....:)

Jilly:)

Hi Jilly,

I know where you are coming from,

but stand by ,

for whats yet to come.

Celebrity can see whats coming and have moved first....

Cruisers only have so much discretionary dollars available to spend and all the big lines will after whatever we have left over in our wallets.

I am looking forward to being tempted....

They are going to have a lot of beds to fill when they are all here.....

and then we also have to stand by by for the response from the local tourist market, from which the cruise lines are taking business away from.

Perhaps land based holidays will get cheaper as well:confused:

Are you sure HAL has its own office in Australia ? I know their wholesaler is in Sydney, they sell direct or to other t/as'. Cannot mention HAL's wholesaler name on here.

Yes HAL are going to open a office here, it was officially announced. Obviously they are confident with the Australian market. Maybe they are planning on basing a ship here all year round - wouldn't that be good, one could go on a winter cruise to the South Pacific.

Obviously we are the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, hence why we keep getting hit with such high prices. Here is an extract of an announcement made in March:

The move by HAL to run its own sales and marketing operation in Australia will spell the end of a 25-year association with general sales agent ***

“To support the increasing sales demands, Holland America will work directly with Australian travel sellers, transitioning from a general sales agent arrangement with ***,” HAL confirmed in a statement.

“The Holland America Line Australia organisation will reside at the offices of sister brand Carnival Australia and will include an independent sales team as well as marketing, reservations and administrative support for travel agents. The transition period is expected to be completed by December 2011. All current contracts and groups will remain in effect.”

HAL described its relationship with *** as “one of our longest and most successful GSA partnerships”. Sales growth under *** is understood to have turned the Australian market into the biggest revenue generator for HAL outside North America.

HAL’s statement quoted the line’s executive vice president, marketing, sales and guest programs, Richard Meadows, as saying: “Andrew Millmore, his family, and staff have done a superlative job for us and for that we are extremely grateful. This is a natural next step in our strategy to expand our premium brand internationally. We are inspired by the continued demand for cruising in Australia and are confident this model – similar to what we have in Europe – will be successful in supporting our growth here.”

The deployment of ms Oosterdam follows an earlier announcement marking the 2011-12 season as the first time the line will have two ships sailing a series of itineraries in the region simultaneously. The 1926-passenger Oosterdam will join ms Volendam, replacing the 1432 passenger ms Zaandam in 2012-13. Ten to 25-day itineraries will be introduced in and around Australia and New Zealand.

Detailed deployment for the 2012-13 Australia and New Zealand season will be announced later this year. In the meantime, HAL stated, *** remains the point of contact for travel sellers “until further notice”.

“A detailed transition schedule will be communicated to travel sellers within the next several months.”

We were very tempted to book a cruise at the sale price but have decided to wait a bit longer. Prices are starting to drop and I don't see how they can keep them high with the number of ships coming here. However, I can see problems with maybe fewer people being able to cruise with the price of electricity and water skyrocketing..............and then there's the carbon tax etc, etc. :(

We just so confused :confused: with all the deals we're being bombard with online, we can't even make a decision for this year or 2012. Only got 2013 sorted.

You should see my list of 'possibles' ....:)

Oh Jilly, come and join us on the Ruby Princess Transatlantic.... 26 nights Fort Lauderdale to Venice. Leaves on the 22 April 2012. Very good prices and the Australian prices are not too bad, if you have to book through an aussie TA. Princess is starting to drop their prices for overseas cruises if you are booking out of Oz - and about time too!

With all this extra competition coming our way, I hope that Royal Caribbean lower the deposit they require. It's not fair how Australians have to pay $400pp for a 7 night cruise :mad: as compared to P&O which is only $200pp :).

With all this extra competition coming our way, I hope that Royal Caribbean lower the deposit they require. It's not fair how Australians have to pay $400pp for a 7 night cruise :mad: as compared to P&O which is only $200pp :).

As far as the deposit goes, its not always the cruise line that charges a hefty deposit. The amount of deposit will vary between the different Travel Agents. Our TA has always had a non refundable deposit of $200 per person over and above any cruise line deposit. ....and I note that has now been increased to $500 per person.:eek:

Makes buying your travel insurance a must now ,

as soon as soon as you book, or at least buying enough to cover the deposit.

As far as the deposit goes, its not always the cruise line that charges a hefty deposit. The amount of deposit will vary between the different Travel Agents. Our TA has always had a non refundable deposit of $200 per person over and above any cruise line deposit. ....and I note that has now been increased to $500 per person.:eek:

Makes buying your travel insurance a must now ,

as soon as soon as you book, or at least buying enough to cover the deposit.

I booked directly through Royal Caribbean - 5 people in my family = $2000 deposit :eek:. But like you have said, if we went through a t/a, some are charging $500pp (and non refundable :eek::eek:).

Oh Jilly' date=' come and join us on the Ruby Princess Transatlantic.... 26 nights Fort Lauderdale to Venice. Leaves on the 22 April 2012. Very good prices and the Australian prices are not too bad, if you have to book through an aussie TA. Princess is starting to drop their prices for overseas cruises if you are booking out of Oz - and about time too![/quote']

Hi Eileen,

You have mail...;)

Archived